Why become a member? ×

Loving this drummer

chardbass

i like this,,great drumming.......dont like Damien Irskine though...his playing does my head in...just stop it man!!!!! too much technique and no groove...ive never seen so much talent go waste by stupid jazz noodling, that gives everything to his ego and nothing to the music...he doesnt fool me.... awfull..IMHO

Edited by bubinga5

The drummer has more groove in his islets of Langerhans than either of those "bass" players...

And yes - that is the most horrible slap tone I have heard since about 1986 when everyone was trying to "be" Mark King and music shops sounded like typing pools. Apologies to our younger members who won't understand that last analogy!! Typewriters are what people used to write with between pens and computers... :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='723116' date='Jan 24 2010, 02:13 PM']Everything I hate in bass playing, can be seen here.... Slapping, horrible tinny tone, coffee table basses with more than 4 strings, musical masturbation.[/quote]

+100!!! :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='722816' date='Jan 24 2010, 05:14 AM']i like this,,great drumming.......dont like Damien Irskine though...his playing does my head in...just stop it man!!!!! too much technique and no groove...ive never seen so much talent go waste by stupid jazz noodling, that gives everything to his ego and nothing to the music...he doesnt fool me.... awfull..IMHO[/quote]
thats not a particularly "humble" opinion though is it?
IMO :)
(assuming Ive got what IMHO means!!)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='723167' date='Jan 24 2010, 02:59 PM']I now need new ears.[/quote]

+1000 that is the work of the devil. All this pointless 'look at me i can play 100 notes a second aren't I clever' fiddly diddly nonsense. Jamerson must be doing 10,000 rpm in his grave.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='723116' date='Jan 24 2010, 02:13 PM']Everything I hate in bass playing, can be seen here.... Slapping, horrible tinny tone, coffee table basses with more than 4 strings, musical masturbation.

The drummer is good though![/quote]

He probably would have failed your Oasis audition. And he doesn't look the part.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='723344' date='Jan 24 2010, 05:48 PM']To be fair this doesn't do David Dyson justice. The slap sound is obviously tinny on YouTube, but he's a monster player and groover. Check out his playing on Me'Shell's live gigs on YT...she wouldn't use a slouch as her bass player.

And his dad invented a mean vacuum cleaner, too. :)[/quote]

I didn't say he was a bad player (he obviously has talent) just not my cup of tea. If you like that sort of thing, then fine, good luck to you. The world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things.

Why is the sound tinny on youtube? I played it through a mixing desk and a pair of JBL studio monitors, it still sounded tinny, thats the way "slap" sounds, isn't it? Again, fine if you want your bass to sound like that.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='723344' date='Jan 24 2010, 05:48 PM']To be fair this doesn't do David Dyson justice. The slap sound is obviously tinny on YouTube, but he's a monster player and groover. Check out his playing on Me'Shell's live gigs on YT...she wouldn't use a slouch as her bass player.

And his dad invented a mean vacuum cleaner, too. :)[/quote]
For sure Pete, Meshell wouldnt have someone whos not a groove monster...clip doesnt really do Dave justice...or the Skjold hes playing...Irskine is still really bad though..