Why become a member? ×

New Warwicks...!

bubinga5

There aren't many mainstream manufacturers that aren't overpriced if you ask me, but Warwick really do take the p**s. Don't get me wrong, I've owned one or two nice Warwicks, including an absolutely lush black SSI, but would I pay like £2500 for one? Not in a month of sundays.......

I guess if you look at the work that goes into the higher end Warwicks the cost makes a bit more sense, after all a Fender is basically a bolted together slab bodied instrument with a forearm and belly schamfer, selling for nearly a grand. Warwicks have all the nice curves and rounded edges.
Mind you Warwicks are mostly machined now aren't they?

I think the Infinity deserves to be pretty pricey, it can't be easy to build what with the cavities and f-holes

I remember a thread a while ago where a BCer took the scratchplate off his MIA Jazz to reveal a clumsy pickup rout which went all the way through to the control cavity. I think that's more shocking on a £900+ instrument than anything Warwick have ever done. Whatever they cost they're extremely well made basses and i doubt any corner-cutting like that happens

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='718889' date='Jan 20 2010, 12:34 PM']I remember a thread a while ago where a BCer took the scratchplate off his MIA Jazz to reveal a clumsy pickup rout which went all the way through to the control cavity. I think that's more shocking on a £900+ instrument than anything Warwick have ever done. Whatever they cost they're extremely well made basses and i doubt any corner-cutting like that happens[/quote]

I think that's the crux of it - Warwick's QC is spot on.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='718889' date='Jan 20 2010, 12:34 PM']I guess if you look at the work that goes into the higher end Warwicks the cost makes a bit more sense, after all a Fender is basically a bolted together slab bodied instrument with a forearm and belly schamfer, selling for nearly a grand. Warwicks have all the nice curves and rounded edges.

I think the Infinity deserves to be pretty pricey, it can't be easy to build what with the cavities and f-holes

I remember a thread a while ago where a BCer took the scratchplate off his MIA Jazz to reveal a clumsy pickup rout which went all the way through to the control cavity. I think that's more shocking on a £900+ instrument than anything Warwick have ever done. Whatever they cost they're extremely well made basses and i doubt any corner-cutting like that happens[/quote]

I think that was me.....but I'd still pick my Fender Jazz over any Warwick I've ever tried, for tone and playability.
All Warwicks are machined except for the custom-shop stuff I believe, correct me if I'm wrong but that has been the case since the mid-nineties I think!?.

Si

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='718104' date='Jan 19 2010, 05:27 PM']That's what the Rockbasses are for! It puzzled me too, then made me glad i bought my Corvette years ago for under £600

Anyone know the prices of the new Rockbass line?

The Rockbass Corvette Premium is coming in at £525 so hopefully the Basic model will be around £400. The new 2010 model looks really good, from the front it looks just like a German 'Vette[/quote]
yeah, i'll be interested in a 5 string RB corvette when they come over here.

[quote name='Mog' post='718397' date='Jan 19 2010, 08:59 PM']Those are the ones. Carolina body, twin MEC pups. They were about £IRL 900 back in '99. Thought they were only available as rockbass now because I've seen them for sale at £300ish. Great bass I have to say.[/quote]
yeah, you can't buy german made streamer stds now, they're only available under the rockbass name, and they have a maple neck and i think alder(?) body, but they do have the mec pickups though.

[quote name='Veils' post='718874' date='Jan 20 2010, 12:16 PM']There aren't many mainstream manufacturers that aren't overpriced if you ask me, but Warwick really do take the p**s. Don't get me wrong, I've owned one or two nice Warwicks, including an absolutely lush black SSI, but would I pay like £2500 for one? Not in a month of sundays.......[/quote]

They are fantastically made but I also think they're overpriced. However, they're also my favourites, so I am glad they take a hit on the used market where I can get them cheap! Since getting my Thumb I've just been in love, it's an awesome bass.

[quote name='Veils' post='718874' date='Jan 20 2010, 12:16 PM']There aren't many mainstream manufacturers that aren't overpriced if you ask me, but Warwick really do take the p**s. Don't get me wrong, I've owned one or two nice Warwicks, including an absolutely lush black SSI, but would I pay like £2500 for one? Not in a month of sundays.......[/quote]

+1....Ive played some nice Warwicks, but the price is daft.

Im going to get a right caining for this, but I wanted to like the Warwick style, and I recently tried a few out. I just CANNOT get over the bodyshapes. Im too predictable, and im very vain...as in if its not a vintage style instrument I instantly think im in an awful tacky metal band. Thats not slating metal either, as I like a lot of metal, just not the whole 'pointy small guitar/bass' image that goes with it. Whats wrong with playing a cool retro sonic blue Jazz in a metal band? Nothing. LOL.

I like that Rob from Metallica picked up a Ray 5 on his auditions.

Agreed on that! I used to play a jazz in a metal band and wouldn't hesitate in playing one now if I didn't have my Shuker. I think it's also a bit cliche that metal bassist tend to think that Warwick is the be all and end all. They are much more versatile than that.

I think if I came into a lot of money and could have a bit of a splurge on basses, a Warwick would be in there. I was offered an endorsement a while ago and if not for the fact that I had to go to Germany to seal the deal, I probably would have done it. I've always lusted after a green oil Stage I 5 string. The black one I got for a while was utterly sexy, but I would only ever get one after picking up a few other basses first.

[quote name='Veils' post='720044' date='Jan 21 2010, 12:54 PM']I think it's also a bit cliche that metal bassist tend to think that Warwick is the be all and end all. They are much more versatile than that.[/quote]

I've come across that before. Funny how out of the 50+ shows we played last year I was the only one who turned up with a 'wick!Most of the bassists I've come across use a Fender of one sort or another, Squire right up to MIA. Most of them didn't even try to get the best out of they're basses either, they seemed to just plug in at soundcheck get the levels right and that was it. It's upsetting in a way because some of the guys have some really nice basses that would sound great with a little eq work. Instead its the usual basketball in a wet sack tone. The only exception was Steve Dawson in OD Saxon who had one of the nicest P tones I've come across.

Edited by Mog

[quote name='Musicman20' post='720034' date='Jan 21 2010, 12:44 PM']+1....Ive played some nice Warwicks, but the price is daft.

Im going to get a right caining for this, but I wanted to like the Warwick style, and I recently tried a few out. I just CANNOT get over the bodyshapes. Im too predictable, and im very vain...as in if its not a vintage style instrument I instantly think im in an awful tacky metal band. Thats not slating metal either, as I like a lot of metal, just not the whole 'pointy small guitar/bass' image that goes with it. Whats wrong with playing a cool retro sonic blue Jazz in a metal band? Nothing. LOL.

I like that Rob from Metallica picked up a Ray 5 on his auditions.[/quote]
I agree, there's nothing wrong with it at all, trujillo often plays a precision live, newsted used to play sadowskys quite regularly, the bassist from stone sour uses a precision. Good on them, my warwick has just always given me the sound i've always wanted for every type of music. It's not the versatility, it's just that once i find a sound i like, i stick to it whatever type of music, i don't try and copy other sounds.

On the other hand, i just can't stand large bodied basses, they're too big and ungainly for me, i'm not a small guy (i'm pretty tall/well built), i just prefer smaller basses, and i look silly with a large bass, they just don't suit me, so for me a warwick is perfect.

I think if i came accross a large sum of money, the first bass i would buy, would be a custom shop neck thru streamer $$ or a corvette FNA jazzman.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='718889' date='Jan 20 2010, 12:34 PM']I guess if you look at the work that goes into the higher end Warwicks the cost makes a bit more sense, after all a Fender is basically a bolted together slab bodied instrument with a forearm and belly schamfer, selling for nearly a grand. Warwicks have all the nice curves and rounded edges.

I think the Infinity deserves to be pretty pricey, it can't be easy to build what with the cavities and f-holes...[/quote]

They ARE machine made. Nothing wrong with that, [i]per se[/i]. Machines generally don't make "Friday afternoon" specials.
With regard to the Infinity, you'd be surprised what you can knock up with a good jig, CNC router and some glue!!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='721069' date='Jan 22 2010, 12:32 PM']They ARE machine made. Nothing wrong with that, [i]per se[/i]. Machines generally don't make "Friday afternoon" specials.[/quote]

I think there will always be something attractive about having a "hand made" bass but machine made basses don't tend to bollocks things up, and can generally be relied upon for consistent quality if they are programmed to produce it!

Whoa, they changed the Thumb SC shown on the website to one without a maple inlay!

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=22953&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/pro...22953&cl=EN[/url]

Much prefer this. I guess their feedback was similar.

Edited by rjb

guys, don't look at the list prices, they are quite far from the shop prices. try to give a look at the price list on the Fender website..

anyway.. quite unhappy about these strong changes in Warwick. I had a 1996 corvette, one of the best bassed ever had.

However, if I put my Marketing Management student suit, I see why they've made these choices.