Why become a member? ×

Help - band name needed

thepurpleblob

New band project - new dilemma.

We need a name. Covers band, female singer and four blokes. Song list is in flux but think Duffy, Paloma Faith, Amy Winehouse, No Doubt, The Gossip etc. ..and probably the usual suspect "cheesy's" too.

Please save me having to expend any effort... suggestions, general advice and theft all much appreciated :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='711415' date='Jan 13 2010, 03:30 PM']I knew this would happen :rolleyes:

[url="http://www.pluguglies.info/"]http://www.pluguglies.info/[/url][/quote]

Had not heard of them (although their name is plural so different to my suggestion). I did actually think it through and wasn't being smart. I play with a Brazillian guy half my age and we use a lot of older jazzers. Gione is young, dark, good looking etc and the rest of us are, well, not - which creates a marketing issue as photos are unflattering to him. So, as a way of packaging it, I thought of announcements like 'Hi everybody, my name is Gione and these guys are Plug Ugly'. :) We didn't go for it and market the product as him alone and not as a band per se but I still think it was a good idea.

Best idea I've come across is to combine two words in an unlikly combination, maybe a colour. That way although you may use common words the combination will be unique.

Eg
Simply Red
Blue Mondays
Arctic Monkeys
Kaiser Chiefs

Of course you must choose a name that has not been used by any band you can find on Google, Bing, Yahoo search etc and myspace (as you will need to get the website urls for your chosen name, and the myspace.

So, write a long list of adjectives and another long list of nouns and see what combinations work and that have not been used before.

If you can also indicate the type of band you are in the name as well that will help but it's generally not essential (and incredibly hard to find one that's not been used)

If your market is the weddng/functions/party market you need to keep it clean and professional.
if you are playing pubs you can be a tad more raunchy (or , of course, have two names, one for pubs and one for weddings and functions)

It's also a good idea if it's fairly short, say two four letter words, so it can be read from a poster by a passing person leaving a venue....

Funny/witty is good too if you have a sence of humour on stage.
"New Tartan Covers"

"Jane's Band"

"Coverleaf"

"Cover me I'm going in"
"Duffers"

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='711402' date='Jan 13 2010, 03:23 PM']New band project - new dilemma.

We need a name. Covers band, female singer and four blokes. Song list is in flux but think Duffy, Paloma Faith, Amy Winehouse, No Doubt, The Gossip etc. ..and probably the usual suspect "cheesy's" too.

Please save me having to expend any effort... suggestions, general advice and theft all much appreciated :)[/quote]
just call yourselves "FREE BEER!" i`ll 100% guarantee you`ll never play to an empty house!!