Why become a member? ×

Do Cabs With Castors Break or Fail More Than Cabs Without?

Phaedrus

Hi,

I've always been reluctant to wheel anything with speakers or electronics inside, even if the castors were factory-titted.

I can't escape the concern that stuff will shake loose inside - does this happen?

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus

My Hartke 2200 Pro 2x12 came with castors and the only thing that has broken/failed on it so far was the castors! :) Immediately replaced them with some more heavy-duty ones and they've done me proud since.

In hind-sight, I think it's probably a better idea to use a trolley than attach castors direct to the cab as you can use the trolley for other equipment too.

I had castors that came on an Ampeg cab.
I was told to take them off as bass cabs sound and feel better if they are in direct contact with the floor.
don´t know if i believed it or not, but I took them off anyways when I got a case for the cab which was lift off, so there were wheels on the bottom anyway.
I have seen SVT head flight cases with castors but no way in hell would I wheel an amp (valve or not) around. Too many delicate parts.
Cabs are ok, proper ones-Trace Elliot, Ampeg, Marshall were made to be chucked about stages and thrown into vans.
Just wouldn´t do the same with amps or combos. :)

I think it depends on the terrain you're wheeling it over. Carpeted pub floors and [i]smooth[/i] carpark tarmac should be no worse than the jiggling a cab or combo has had in the car or van it's just been transported in to the gig. Not to mention the vibrations the cab/head/combo sget from the speakers when in full flight. Rough ground is asking for trouble though.