Why become a member? ×

stick on L.E.D's

hagguy

• 4 weeks later...

Well my fretfx got here. Over all I think they're great but you should be aware of a few things before diving in.

It cost me about $80 shipped in the US. Install is not hard but requires some finesse. I really like that they're not too bright, I don't need lasers in my eyes.

The bad, there is a ridge on the side of the fingerboard, not too bad but if this kind of thing bugs you you won't like it. They also cover the old dots so when they are off they are much worse than plain dots.

Once installed you're advised to never pick up the guitar by the neck and never let a stand touch any part of it. So they're a bit fragile.

Other than that they're great, supposed to get around 30 hours on a battery, the whole thing is very light weight too.

[attachment=72025:Neck_Side.jpg][attachment=72026:LED_Side.jpg][attachment=72027:LED.jpg][attachment
=72028:Headstock_Closeup.jpg][attachment=72029:Headstock_Back.jpg][attachment=72030:Headstock_Angle.j
pg][attachment=72031:Full_Neck.jpg]

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1125670' date='Feb 13 2011, 08:47 AM']Dont worry mate, they really aren't as fragile as they make out[/quote]

Broke mine in a couple of weeks! Tiny thin wire connects them together which seems to be made from spiders web.........

Other than that, worked very well.

[quote name='hagguy' post='710267' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:09 PM']....been looking for some advice on led lights for the side of my new sandberg....[/quote]
Real LED's look about as cool as those huge plastic body kits certain people put on their rusty old bangers. Stick on LED's look even worse!

Edited by chris_b

Doesn't look as bad as flying into a bass solo section that starts at the top of the neck In a very big venue cause the lighting lady chose that moment to make it go dark for just a smidge too long! Hence the lights for those either way too dark, or simply too blinded by stage lights moments. :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1125754' date='Feb 13 2011, 10:47 AM']Real LED's look about as cool as those huge plastic body kits certain people put on their rusty old bangers. Stick on LED's look even worse![/quote]

No one can see them except you, if they are side leds, and they are incredibly useful (especially if, like me, your eyesight isnt what it used to be) on a dark stage. All my gigging basses have them and I think I would be lost if they didnt.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1125754' date='Feb 13 2011, 02:47 AM']Real LED's look about as cool as those huge plastic body kits certain people put on their rusty old bangers. Stick on LED's look even worse![/quote]
I think you're looking for talkbass and not basschat :)

I don't have them to look cool I have them because I gig in the dark. I'm not much of a finger watcher but when I want to see a dot I want to see a dot.

Edited by Vibrating G String

[quote]I was watching Comedy Rocks the other night, Mcfly were the house band and im sire i noticed (wasnt really paying attention to them) the bass player's White Stingray had LED's on it. It looked pretty cool IMO[/quote]

As soon as I saw this thread that's what i thought as well. Looked ok, but i was a bit unsure about his choice of colour. Amber looked a bit dull and crap on a white sterling i thought

I'm having [url="http://www.luminlay.com/productsen.html"]these[/url] put on a custom Marseer from Robbie at RIM basses.

Look ideal - no battery drain - other than the charging torch. The idea is that the rods are inserted into the neck, and they fluoresce for around 45 minutes when charged with the torch that comes with the purchase. Charging involves shining the torch at each dot for a few seconds. Ingenious.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1126081' date='Feb 13 2011, 04:21 PM']I'm having [url="http://www.luminlay.com/productsen.html"]these[/url] put on a custom Marseer from Robbie at RIM basses.

Look ideal - no battery drain - other than the charging torch. The idea is that the rods are inserted into the neck, and they fluoresce for around 45 minutes when charged with the torch that comes with the purchase. Charging involves shining the torch at each dot for a few seconds. Ingenious.[/quote]

And at £19 for a stick and the torch (excl. P&P/duty etc) it's pretty cheap. Might get some to add to my Warwick project bass...

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1126546' date='Feb 13 2011, 11:11 PM']That luminlay looks worth trying. It would be perfect if it would somewhat charge on it's own from normal stage lights and provide enough glow for when the lights are temporarily dark.

I think I'll give this a try too :)[/quote]

I like the fact that they can turn an ordinary LED keyring torch in to "a special LED light charger". Must be something special ;-)

Looks like a good product though. If i wasn't so rubbish and impatient with woodworking i would give them a go.

I look forward to seeing the results you guys get.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1126010' date='Feb 13 2011, 02:56 PM']From the 'seeing in the dark' side of it, rather than the 'looking cool' aspect - does a dab of glow in the dark paint over the dot markers work ok? Seems like an easy (and cheap) solution.[/quote]

Sort of. I tried to get true fluorescent paint for this, but could only get 'luminous'. I think the difference is that 'luminous' has to be charged by daylight. I'm told that fluorescent isn't legal any more (I think it was radioactive :)).

Seeing as how I hardly ever take my bass for walkies without its case, it hasn't been hugely successful. Better than nothing, but not jumping out at me.

For what it's worth, i found the innards of a biro (the tube, not the pointy bit) made a very neat dabber for placing the dots of paint.

Edited by fatback

I almost bought some Luminlay sticks but did a bit of googling first and ended up buying some paint
[url="http://www.glowstop.com/products/others/gt3gp.html"]http://www.glowstop.com/products/others/gt3gp.html[/url]

And some raw pigments, here's the 2 brightest ones
[url="http://www.glowstop.com/products/pigments/gt8900.html"]http://www.glowstop.com/products/pigments/gt8900.html[/url]
[url="http://www.glowstop.com/products/pigments/gtb8900.html"]http://www.glowstop.com/products/pigments/gtb8900.html[/url]
I bought the blue one.

I'm thinking I may be able to fill a dot hole with pigments and crazy glue, if that doesn't work well I'll try the paint. Both will be tested on a piece of scrap first of course :)

If they will charge enough under stage lights to get me through moments of darkness I'll call it a success. I don't need the searchlight levels of an LED, just a little glow that will tell me where the dots are on those rare occasions that I need them.

I'll post some pics as I go.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1127146' date='Feb 14 2011, 07:16 AM']I like the fact that they can turn an ordinary LED keyring torch in to "a special LED light charger". Must be something special ;-)[/quote]
Yeah, the marketing is a bit thick :) Paying that much for a 2.5 inch piece of plastic is rough too.

It seems a no brainer to use luminlay instead of white plastic though. If you're going to use plastic it might as well glow.

The charger LED is a blue light and blue & UV are the frequencies that work best for charging. Apparently tungsten lights work very poorly, fluorescents & black lights work much better. They should have mentioned the tone improvements their LED makes.