Why become a member? ×

what tune/band that got you into bass ?

phil.i.stein

First thing thatgot me into bass was waking up one morning and realising at 15 if I didnt start learning an instrument now I probably never would. I decided on bass because every monkey and his pet dog had a guitar.

Music wise it was watching Wayne Stobbart playing live with Simply Red, scruffy looking white jazz with tort guard and I have wanted one ever since.

Also listening to Extreme II P*rnografitti and a cornish band called Rootjoose. I was blown away by listening to Pat Badger from Extreme chugging away riffs in unison with Nuno Bettencourt and it still makes me smile to this day. Also the funky clever playing from Harry Collier from Rootjoose. I saw them live and his clever use of notes and timing is still an inspiration, a bit like a more funky Sting.

Another one bites the dust, first tune i learned on my school's bass.
I was the only person in my GCSE music class and i wanted my school to buy an electric guitar so i could learn to play it, they wouldn't buy one, so i made do with the comprimise of the bass they bought (me!).
I was gutted for a while about not being able to play a guitar but then i listened closely to the bassline to the solo in Livin' on a prayer and THAT was the tune / bassline which REALLY made me want to play bass, and play it well.

Another Foxton-influenced player here. I knew all the Jam basslines backwards before I ever owned or thought of buying a bass. Couple of mates bought electric guitars, so I bought a bass (Westone Thunder!).

Other big influences were Entwistle (especially Tommy), Andy Rourke, Paul Simonon, Simon Gallup, Graham Maby, Sting's early stuff with the Police (Bed's Too Big, Dead End Job etc), and Horace Panter. Oh, and Jim Creeggan out of the Barenaked Ladies.

Is it just me, or do you find it really annoying that when you listen to a song you can play, you only hear the bassline in your head?

'She caught the Katy' from the blues brothers soundtrack was the first bass line I noticed.
but what made me buy a bass was going to watch my friends band practising and being handed the bass as their bass player seemed to be a frustrated guitarist. I bought my own bass the very next day.

Has to be Geezer Butler/Black Sabbath for me - hearing his playing was the first time I really became aware of the bass as an instrument.

It's great to see Hawkwind era Lemmy getting so many mentions - his playing on "Space Ritual" was one of my biggest influences.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='762009' date='Mar 2 2010, 05:31 PM']however... the first bassline i ever learnt was warhead by the uk subs[/quote]

Ahhhh "Paul Slack on lead bass" :) Great bassline,

First song that made me want to play bass was SLF Suspect Device, still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Edited by cd_david