Why become a member? ×

New SWR Headlite

molan

The characteristics of the sound are very similar, very SWR. The mids are a bit more detailed and it sounds punchier overall. It's most similar to the 350x I used to have. I can't say I've ever found that much of a difference in the sound between the different SWR models, they're all the same preamp after all. If you like the SWR sound you're going to love the headlite.

I'm impressed the most by how loud it is and the feature set, it's got more EQ control than most of the SWR range.

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='732171' date='Feb 1 2010, 08:32 PM']The characteristics of the sound are very similar, very SWR. The mids are a bit more detailed and it sounds punchier overall.
If you like the SWR sound you're going to love the headlite.
I'm impressed the most by how loud it is and the feature set, it's got more EQ control than most of the SWR range.[/quote]
Wish you hadn't said that. Looks like I'll have to check it out once it hits the shops.

[quote name='walbassist' post='736256' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:03 PM']It's in Barking, 10 miles from my office, argh the agony of waiting!!!!![/quote]

You guys mind me asking how much these are coming in at?
Also, I guess only one of you might be able to answer this thus far, bit of a long shot, but I'd love to know how these compare to a MarkBass LittleMark.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='736260' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:05 PM']I'd love to know how these compare to a MarkBass LittleMark.[/quote]

I have just sold an LMK so will be able to give you a fresh comparison once I've tried mine out on Monday evening.

As to price, I bought mine from Musik Schmidt for £600, which was discounted from their already discounted price to match Thomann (who have no stock). Not sure what the UK RRP is, or what the "street" price will be, but I'd be surprised if it's much lower.

[quote name='walbassist' post='736273' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:12 PM']I have just sold an LMK so will be able to give you a fresh comparison once I've tried mine out on Monday evening.

As to price, I bought mine from Musik Schmidt for £600, which was discounted from their already discounted price to match Thomann (who have no stock). Not sure what the UK RRP is, or what the "street" price will be, but I'd be surprised if it's much lower.[/quote]

Thanks dude.
Looking forward to hearing how you think it compares.
I have one of the wee LitteMark 250's at the mo and I need to replace it with something louder, but it there's a lot out there...

Cheers,
Eude

I would like to hear some comparative reviews too chaps as I fancy having an ultra small amp to tuck in gig bag for some of those gear-sharing gigs we play (I bring the tiny amp head, the other band's bassist brings the enormous 4x12, seems fair!)

I would need something with valvey overdrive so was thinking about this, the Genz Shuttle, the new Markbass Little Rocker (naff name!), or going slightly larger, the Orange Bass Terror (I know that won't fit in a gig bag). I once played a SWR combo with valve pre-amp and it sounded really good, hence the Headlite has got my attention.

[quote name='Clarky' post='736280' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:16 PM']I would like to hear some comparative reviews too chaps as I fancy having an ultra small amp to tuck in gig bag for some of those gear-sharing gigs we play (I bring the tiny amp head, the other band's bassist brings the enormous 4x12, seems fair!)

I would need something with valvey overdrive so was thinking about this, the Genz Shuttle, the new Markbass Little Rocker (naff name!), or going slightly larger, the Orange Bass Terror (I know that won't fit in a gig bag). I once played a SWR combo with valve pre-amp and it sounded really good, hence the Headlite has got my attention.[/quote]

Clarky, I tested the Genz and I could not get on with the pre tube...sounded thin to me. I would definitely try before you buy with that one. I reckon the lm rocker might be a cool amp if it has a good tubey overdrive emulation.

[quote name='walbassist' post='736273' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:12 PM']I have just sold an LMK so will be able to give you a fresh comparison once I've tried mine out on Monday evening.[/quote]

As a LMK user, I'm keen to hear your thoughts on this. I've always heard good things about SWR and this has caught my eye.
FP

I have just taken delivery of my new Golight 1x15, it really opens up the bottom end of the rig. Here's a picture!

I love the Golight cabs, I must admit to liking the sound of them more than the Goliaths because they are punchier and have more detail in the mid range.

[quote name='BassBus' post='743525' date='Feb 12 2010, 09:40 PM']Forgive my ignorance. Could someone explain how to chain two speaker cabs with this amp as it only seems to have one speaker out.[/quote]

Cable from amp to speaker #1 & then another cable from speaker #1 to speaker #2 :)

This route will reduce your overall ohmage though. Fine if you have a pair of 8 ohm cabs - chaining them will reduce the load the amp 'sees' to 4 ohms.

If you use a pair of 4 ohm cabs then it's down to 2 ohms load and a lot of amps aren't at all happy at this level :)