Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

[quote name='beerdragon' post='7130' date='May 26 2007, 02:29 PM']I always liked the sound Greg lake had, (ELP. King crimson etc.) no mean player either.[/quote]

I HAVE to agree with you on this one, have loved ELP ever since I saw them at the Empire Pool in 1974. Greg Lake is CLASS.

[quote name='BlueBear' post='7655' date='May 27 2007, 02:56 PM']Spot on. Johnny Marr gets all the credit but Rourke's lines are just lovely.[/quote]

Good call - very underrated.

Had it on very good info years ago from someone within Smiths camp, that despite the genius of Johnny Marr; Andy Rourke did in fact come up with some, though not all, of the basslines himself.
Quite often working something different out around chord progressions written by Marr, that would sometimes almost become a song within a song. A good example being 'This Charming Man'.

Andy Rourke, Bass Player interview:
[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=13168"]http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectio...storycode=13168[/url]

[quote name='beerdragon' post='7130' date='May 26 2007, 02:29 PM']I always liked the sound Greg lake had, (ELP. King crimson etc.) no mean player either.[/quote]

Jazz with a pick, later went on to a Gibson Grabber or Ripper at which point his sound went completely to pants IMO - somewehere around the Works stuff.
21st Century Schizoid Man is one helluva challenge - cracking stuff!.

Pete.

heres a couple of the top of my head - i'll probably think of more:

[b]Michael Anthony from Van Halen [/b]- a pretty steady rock player but I was listening to the old Fair Warning album the other day and theres some very tidy little bass parts on there.

[b]the guy from the band Live[/b] a post in another topic reminded me of him (can't remember his name and i'm too lazy to go look for it on a cd!) - some of his slap stuff on the first couple of albums is very good and a great tone too.

and also alot of the bass playing on Kat Bush's albums over the years - particularly the red shoes album.

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='8861' date='May 29 2007, 10:21 PM']and also alot of the bass playing on Kat Bush's albums over the years - particularly the red shoes album.
peace
c[/quote]

Could well be John Giblin, also played for Brand X alongside Percy Jones.

Pete.

Dennis Dunnaway - Alice Cooper, early 70s
Leigh Gorman - BowWowWow

Two very talented musicians and both very unusual in their approach to bass playing.

Really rate Barry Adamson, John Gustafson and George Murray too and whilst on a Bowie tip, Trevor Bolder from The Spiders played some great melodic basslines on the early Bowie albums.

Not sure he's underated but I'd add Roger Waters from Pink Floyd as a really intelligent bass player.

Funny enough, I can't think of any underrated bass players from the soul/funk/jazz genres but maybe that's because bass is more to the fore in those musical areas?

Nik

Another vote for Tye Zamora of Alien Ant Farm, if you haven't give these guys a chance then your definitely missing some great basslines/tracks. Check out these songs:

Tia Lupé - Latin influenced song with some good fretless playing (good bass fill at about 1:30)
Never Meant - Some great use of harmonics
S.S Recognise - Some good solid 16th note riffing and a bit of slap towards the end

There's loads more I could suggest as this guy is just a great player!

[quote name='Morning View' post='8893' date='May 29 2007, 11:16 PM']Another vote for Tye Zamora of Alien Ant Farm, if you haven't give these guys a chance then your definitely missing some great basslines/tracks. Check out these songs:

Tia Lupé - Latin influenced song with some good fretless playing (good bass fill at about 1:30)
Never Meant - Some great use of harmonics
S.S Recognise - Some good solid 16th note riffing and a bit of slap towards the end

There's loads more I could suggest as this guy is just a great player![/quote]

Even the AAF standards everyone knows, such as: Smooth Criminal, Movies, Attitude, These days etc...are all supported heavily with Tye's tone and his groove inspired technique.

And also he's damn entertaining in the videos if you pay attention to him.

Edited by Josh

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3WaSETf8k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3WaSETf8k[/url]

you don't need to be flash - Aston Barrett

Also Freddie Kings brother- [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DXq4WTlog4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DXq4WTlog4[/url]

Eh Oop all

Don't know if you'd call these under rated, but how about

Bruce Thomas of the Attractions, more or less anything off Get Happy !
+1 for Trevor Bolder of the Spiders

- and Phil Lynott ?? I'm convinced much of his stuff was written bass first

Don't know if either of these have been mentioned..
Randy Meisner and Timothy B Schmit, both of the Eagles. Very tasteful playing while still singing harmonies and lead vocals. In particular, listen to TBS' fretless meanderings on New York Minute from the Hell freezes over vid. superb playing.

Also, I was watching Sympathy for the devil last night. hadn't realised Keef played the bass on that track letting Bill W do percussiony things. His playing isn't too shabby and I'm wondering what else he took over the bass part for.

[quote name='metaltime' post='10453' date='Jun 1 2007, 11:45 AM']steve digiorgio maybe the best metal bassist everif you have never heard him you need to check him out[/quote]

Diogorgio is the fretless and metal version of Billy Sheehan.

The dude from maroon 5 (Mickey Madden?) possibly?

I think his lines are subtle and really add depth to some of their songs. For instance "Sunday Morning", I think the bassline makes that song.

Also the guy who did bass on alot of mamas and papas tracks, in particular "dream a little dream..." for the same reasons. It isn't exceptionally technical or flashy but it really adds to the song.

My two cents.

Ash :)

[quote name='ashevans09' post='11236' date='Jun 3 2007, 12:08 AM']Also the guy who did bass on alot of mamas and papas tracks, in particular "dream a little dream..." for the same reasons. It isn't exceptionally technical or flashy but it really adds to the song.

My two cents.

Ash :)[/quote]

Joe Osborn played bass on pretty much all the Mamas and Papas albums.