Why become a member? ×

1 in 1 Out And An Argument No Doubt!!

J3ster

This is obviously just about opinions (so no arguing!!) and I bet mine will not be the most outlandish.

I got to thinking about Bassists I admire or like not just for their ability but also for there sheer Bass lines. Some of the least technical players have enthralled me with their Bass lines and fretboard knowledge so I would like that to be taken into account..
So here is the rub
1 Bassist who you think deserves a mention (and why)
1 Bassist that you think is terribly overated (and why)

This Guy deserves a mention:
John Taylor (Duran Duran/Power Station ect)
I am not even saying he is in my top ten. But like Nick Beggs another talented player John Taylor suffered from the fact that he was in a girlie band, although he does recieve reconition I feel he is a much better player than given credit for, you can feel his Karn/McCartney influences coming through in his playing but there is a bit of Taylor there too and I think on the 'Rio' album this shines most of all. He is fluent and always seems to take the Bass line away from what you would expect filling with slides and octaves, and also using the relative minor along with passing notes. My one critism of John is possibly that he tried too hard and overplayed a number of tracks where actually the simple or less intricate would have workd better - Still I think there is a lot to be had from listening to John's Bass playing..

This Guy.. Whatever!!!
Victor Wooten (ha I bet i'm not alone though)
I'm not saying he is rubbish that would be stupid but seriously I do not really even consider him a Bass player in the true sense of the word and if anything I think he is more Technique than Talent. He has opened our eyes to different ways of playing (most of which he just brought to the masses but was not doing first) but most of what he does is a nonsensicle mass of self indulgence that if you saw in a pub you would smirk at. Any number of us can flap our hands over the strings and fretboard and recreate our own wooton wood whack but one of the best Bassists in the world.. Whatever

Oh and because I started the thread and I'm allowed to choose 2... JJ Burnell - yeah right!!

I think a lot of people slag off the technique experts saying they have no soul etc purely because they cant and will never reach that standard of bass playing. Its people like wooten who push boundarys for the bass so its not just stuck at the back being boring.

Edited by YouMa

One that deserves a mention;

Scott Reeder of Kyuss/ The Obsessed/ Goatsnake fame. A lefty who has been hammering out some huge bass riffs for years, and never really seems to get the mention that he deserves. Seem to remember that he plays bare footed as well!?

Over rated?

Any muso type that can play a hundred notes a second, but don't seem to be able to play a song.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='703326' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:33 PM']Is there still room on the sofa ? i've got beers.[/quote]

Not sure what the fuss is about?? Just after some thoughtful views and opinions.

Just wondered about other Bassists that people on here thought deserved a mention or ones that they thought overated... Simple, nice and easy.

Now get off the sofa and have an opinion. :)

Edited by J3ster

[u][b]Underrated:[/b][/u]

Caleb Schofield (Cave In)

Not a particularly well known band but I like them, and in particular Caleb's bass playing, he really carries the songs. Does well to be so prominent alongside what is often a big twin guitar attack. Some good vocals too.

[u][b]Overrated:[/b][/u]

Flea

Just doesn't do it for me

Edited by Maverick

I reckon there should be a QI-esque set of obvious answers...

Mark King
Jaco
Victor
Macca
Zender

...and that's just the start of it. If the thread runs, I reckon we will have enough to make a set of top trumps... *now... thats an idea*

Overrated bassplayer top trumps.

Possible attributes...

Annoying Personality
Finger Ability
Slap Ability
Drug Consumption
Chance Of Anybody Outside Of The Bass Community Having Heard Of Them

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='703356' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:53 PM']+
Roger Waters - supportive playing makes Pink Floyd's songs sound great. Understated, and no-one [i]really[/i] wants to listen to that poppity poppity sh1t.

-
[size=7][b]Jaco Pastorius[/b][/size] - almost all of his music has bored me and not connected with me in any way.[/quote]

And the audience have gone wild...!!

We're gonna need a bigger chair...

Edited by EBS_freak

+
Roger Waters - supportive playing makes Pink Floyd's songs sound great. Understated, and no-one really wants to listen to that poppity poppity sh1t.

-
Jaco Pastorius - almost all of his music has bored me and not connected with me in any way.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='703358' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:55 PM']And the audience have gone wild...!![/quote]

That's whats beautiful though.. I personally think Jaco has done some amazing things for Bass Players, but we are getting to the point of it..

Good work Mr Chrome

One bloke I think is good is Brian Gibson, the bass player from Lightning Bolt. Not for any real technical reasons, but just because he's done things I'd not heard of before and has come up with some really good riffs. It's the latter point which I like the most. You do get people going on about the complexities of his riffs, but IMHO they're not complex - fiddly perhaps at times, but more often that not they're just good chunky sounds.

For those techies amongst you, he does have a bit of an odd bass setup. According to Wikipedia (and I've read this elsewhere) [i]'Gibson plays his bass guitar tuned to cello standard tuning, in intervals of fifths (C G D A), using a banjo string for the high A. He used this four-string setup for several years, but has recently been seen using a five-string setup, tuned to C G D A E, with banjo strings for the A and E. Gibson also uses several effects pedals, including overdrive pedals, an octaver, a delay pedal, and a whammy pedal (pitch shifter).'[/i]

As for anyone being overrated, such stuff doesn't interest me. I got past trying to make such analyses when I was into heavy metal and got into millions of circular arguments about who played the best solos... :)

If you fancy posting and want ideas of underrated bassists have a look [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=729&hl=underrated"]here[/url].
If you fancy posting and want ideas of overrated bassists have a look [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18229&hl=overrated"]here[/url].

This thread is very eco-friendly - it takes up half the room of the previous two. You could even look upon it as a Greatest Hits edition of so many other thread(bare)s that we've had.

:)