Why become a member? ×

Behripeg BVT4500H

alexisonfire

Sorry if this has been bought up before but ....

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/behringer-ultrabass-bvt4500h-bass-guitar-amp-head--38133"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/behringer-ult...amp-head--38133[/url]

What the hell lol! Even the naming convention is nearly identical!

My hatred for the company just gets worse.

Edited by alexisonfire

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='700857' date='Jan 4 2010, 07:49 PM']Sorry if this has been bought up before but ....

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/behringer-ultrabass-bvt4500h-bass-guitar-amp-head--38133"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/behringer-ult...amp-head--38133[/url]

What the hell lol! Even the naming convention is nearly identical!

My hatred for the company just gets worse.[/quote]

I brought it up before, it's bad but not as bad as the Ashdown rip off.

The main features of the Behringer ULTRABASS BVT4500H include:

•Powerful 450-Watt bass amplifier head for crappy sound and performance
•Non-musical 9-band graphic EQ for limited frequency control
•Dedicated Bass, Mid and Treble controls for unusable sound shaping
•Switchable limiter for ultimate volume with distortion
•Balanced XLR DI output for direct connection to your Game boy.
•Switchable Tuner Out which does'nt work either as a tuner connection or a live monitor feed
•Effects Loop for external effects devices (stomp boxes, rack effects, etc.) So that you might have a slim chance of making this sound OK'ish.
•Power Amp In and Preamp Out connectors allow you direct access to the power amp and a signal tap from the preamp section for even greater versatility
•3 speaker outputs: Two 1/4 inch jacks and a professional speaker connector (compatible with Neutrik Speakon connectors)
•In-Active, temperature-controlled cooling system for ultimate protection
•Ultra-rugged power supply with cheap transformer for unreliable power.
Customers who bought this also bought

.Something better after 2 weeks.
.Mind altering substances.

I think that neither Ampeg,or Ashdown have anything to fear.IMO

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

A couple of years back, over at TB the Septics were going mental over the Ashdown clone - claiming it was "taking food off the table of honest American working guys" (I know, I know :) ) - turns out that the Ashdown & the Behringer are made in the same Chinese factory, using the same components.

Ampeg might well be fuming over the Behringer copy, but I doubt they can do a lot more. And realistically - no-one who can afford a real one will buy a Behringer instead, will they?

I've got a few bits of Behringer studio kit & on the whole it's good VFM, workable budget gear - not exactly robust but often cheap enough to be disposable. Can't knock it on that basis

Jon.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='owen' post='701101' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:56 PM']Behringer have bought the top live sound desk company Midas.[/quote]

so ive heard, this is a worrying development indeed....

[quote name='Bassassin' post='701189' date='Jan 5 2010, 01:29 AM']A couple of years back, over at TB the Septics were going mental over the Ashdown clone - claiming it was "taking food off the table of honest American working guys" (I know, I know :) ) - turns out that the Ashdown & the Behringer are made in the same Chinese factory, using the same components.

Ampeg might well be fuming over the Behringer copy, but I doubt they can do a lot more. And realistically - no-one who can afford a real one will buy a Behringer instead, will they?

I've got a few bits of Behringer studio kit & on the whole it's good VFM, workable budget gear - not exactly robust but often cheap enough to be disposable. Can't knock it on that basis

Jon.[/quote]

Haven't heard the chinese factory thing before and TBH it sounds like an urban myth, but I do remember seeing a photo of the two circuit boards, and other than the brand names there was very little difference between the two. I bought my Bx4500 purely for the cost and disposability, and its been a great little workhorse for the last 5 or so years. It's on long term loan at the moment, but I'll probably get another if it dies. Their PA stuff is actually pretty good too, I know one part time sound engineer that loves the stuff.
I'm not a big fan of Behringers practice of ripping off designs, but I'm also not a fan of companies that charge a fortune for their name on a box of £100 worth of components either. They make stuff that is affordable to the average punter and so they're all right in my book.

Mmmm.... it's under 200 quid though is it not. The "real thing" is "under 2 grand".

A mate of mine has a Behringer rig and, I have to be honest, I've played through it at multi-band charity gigs a couple of times and I didn't have anything too much to complain about. On the other hand I have had some bad experiences - e.g., the rack mount tuner that doesn't hear bass frequencies at all :)

Another Behringer fan here!

I bought a BLX3000 as a backup for a tempramental Peavey and it served me well for 4 years, which is more than I can say for the Peavey or the Hartke that replaced it. It's back on the subs bench now I've got my LMII.
Can't say I'm overly keen on the tone of the beast but it was cheap and it worked when I needed it to.

[quote name='The Funk' post='701760' date='Jan 5 2010, 03:52 PM']Just reading up, I think Mackie brought an expensive and unsuccessful lawsuit against Behringer in the late '90s. After that, Behringer have had free reign to do whatever they like in the cheap clone market.[/quote]
Up to a point - when Behringer announced their range of cheapo stomp-boxes a few years ago, they were identical to Boss pedals in appearance. Roland kicked up a stink & they were redesigned. They're very popular low-end pedals - deservedly so because they're throwaway-cheap and half-decent quality, so it baffles me why they'd invite legal trouble (plus the expense of a redesign) by trying to punt knockoff designs in the first place. It's hardly like copy guitars, where the image & appearance of the instrument's arguably more important than what it actually does.

J.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='701326' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:03 AM']e.g., the rack mount tuner that doesn't hear bass frequencies at all :)[/quote]

Yeah. I've got that one too.
No quick tuning in a few beats rest- notes don't register quick enough unlike the Korg it's pretending to be which I have in my other case.
Waste of money.

I was pointing out the cosmetical similarities and thought it funny that Loud haven't done anything about it. I've never played through one of the Behringers so I can't comment on the sound or reliability, and I can agree some of the studio/recording stuff does the job. Though I have to admit I kind of see the amps as a sort of car boot rip off of Nike style affair :)

The only Behringer items I've used are a few pedals. Perfectly adequate for the job, if a tad flimsy. Their QC gets a bad rap from time to time but I've not had any problems.

If Behringer are causing some manufacturers a little wallet-ache, so much the better. It might drive prices down. If a Behringer purchaser can't afford an Ampeg in the first place, then Ampeg haven't lost a sale, have they? And it doesn't stop any of us buying 'the real thing' should we desire.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='702192' date='Jan 5 2010, 09:56 PM']The only Behringer items I've used are a few pedals. Perfectly adequate for the job, if a tad flimsy. Their QC gets a bad rap from time to time but I've not had any problems.

If Behringer are causing some manufacturers a little wallet-ache, so much the better. It might drive prices down.[/quote]

Hopefully!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='701326' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:03 AM']...On the other hand I have had some bad experiences - e.g., the rack mount tuner that doesn't hear bass frequencies at all :)[/quote]
Mine does, [i]but[/i] it takes a couple of seconds to register the E and Low B strings. Not ideal but it does hear bass frequencies and to be honest the Korg handheld tuner I had was equally iffy on the low B. Besides, for the price I paid 2nd hand I'm happy...and it has pretty lights :rolleyes: