Why become a member? ×

Paul Turner at the Jazz Cafe - Jan 24th

molan

Looks good to me!

[url="http://www.jazzcafelive.com/newsandevents/templates/bookings.aspx?articleid=808&zoneid=1"]http://www.jazzcafelive.com/newsandevents/...08&zoneid=1[/url]

[i]DOTFUNK take to the Jazz Cafe stage with a determination to bounce the house to it’s foundation!

No “same old versions of the same old tunes”, they promise a groove laden set guaranteed to nod the head of all those hip to the real deal.

The band includes some of the UK’s most experienced and funky musicians and vocalists, with a line up featuring members key of Jamiroquai, Incognito and the Brand New Heavies. They is the real deal for real funk music lovers.

The rhythms will be hard n nasty, the horns tight n funky and the vocals soaring n soulful, let's party!

Dress code is minimal or come nude, it will be sweaty. Dot Funk are going to move and groove you all night long!!!

DOTFUNK are:

Dan Pearce vocals & perc

Michelle John vocals

Rob Harris guitar

Paul Turner bass

Derrick McKenzie drums

Matt Cooper keys

The Hit Horns:

Dan Carpenter trumpet

Richard Beesley tenor sax

Simon Wilescroft alto sax

Dave Williamson trombone[/i]

[quote name='neilb' post='698253' date='Jan 1 2010, 06:57 PM']Can I suggest that all BCers stand right up against the cocktail bar camply holding a bottle of tomato juice.[/quote]

Good call - mine may have vodka in it though :)

In fact - you've prompted me to have a bloody Mary right now :rolleyes:

Damn but this is a hot one. . .

Edited by molan

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Jazz Cafe last night to see the Haggis Horns. They were good but it was really rammed and not very comfortable (we stood near the back to get the better sound but there was a constant stream of people walking back & forth and the usual crowd who seemed more intent on talking at the top fot heir voices rather than listening to the band, grrr).

Highlight for me was actually a guy called Jesse Dee who performed solo at the start & then came on with Corrina Greyson for a few songs.

Went to see Dot funk last night. Place was absolutely packed but had a good view most the night. Band were top notch, the female vox was unreal and the male singer was a great front man, full of soul and great percussion. Brass section did their job well and the drummer was very slick.

Well, Mr Turner.......... he had a small Aggie set up with two 12" cabs, top one angled up. Could not see amp, prob Aggie too. He was using a lovely white Fender Jazz, tort plate and matching white headstock.

His playing was as youd expect from Paul, just "there".

My only gripe was the bass sound and mix in the FOH, could have done with fattening up and a bit louder.

For me the highlight was a version of the Prince song Nothing Compares To You, which was given almost a Gladys Knight and the Pips treatment, absolutely fantastic.

£10 well spent, even though Becks was £3.70 a throw.

Edited by neilb

Intriguing - I thought their treatment of [i]Nothing Compares [/i]was the weakest thing they did, and strayed far too close to Beyonce at an Awards Ceremony for my liking.

Paul Turner was exactly as I'd expect, bang on the money.

+1 for the pair of vocalists, I'd love to have them fronting any band I played in.

The real stars, though, were the brass. Absolutely superb, tight as a duck's savings account, and good showmen too.

Oddest thing about the band was that, vocalists excepted, all eight instrumentalists looked like they'd just stepped out from behind the counter at your local Abbey National. A less "muso" bunch of sh*t-hot musicians you'd be hard-pressed to find.

I didn't make it in the end. Got a bit hacked off with the venue last week at the Haggis Horns (another bunch of non-muso looking guys) when it was really rammed & i'm out all of this coming weekend as well so needed some time at home.

I'm getting too old for gigs on 3 consecutive weekends, lol.

It was absolutely obscene, in my opinion. I echo the sentiments about Paul's playing - solid groove, plus he seemed to be in slap mode which was good to hear. Always tasteful, mind!

I could immediately tell just how much the three guys from Jamiroquai play together. They gave the impression of being a coordinated 'unit'. I love their playing anyway, but it was impressive to see them working together close-up, in a context away from the 'day job'.

Was also blown away by Matt Cooper, the keys player. Maybe it's because we were stood right in front of his keyboard amp, but I was astounded by his solos and his playing throughout the night. One of my friends who attended is an accomplished keyboardist, and even he said he'd heard nothing like it. Anyone know who this guy has played for?

The horn section were tight on the unison figures, but I think they blown out of the water when it came to the enthusiasm displayed by the other band members.... Again, maybe it was because of where I was standing, but it seemed like the rhythm section were really, really getting into it all the way through the gig. Always a good thing to see!

I enjoyed the two vocalists as well, although I have to admit I wasn't really taken by Michelle's tone - she was very impressive in a technical sense, but just seemed quite generic in terms of her sound. Dan, on the other hand, is a brilliant showman. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he in One True Voice? (Popstars the rivals, anyone?) If he was, I'm glad he's doing something worthwhile now! Very, very talented.

I've probably missed loads of points I wanted to make, but I've got to head out now. In summary - one of the best gigs/displays of musicianship I have witnessed first-hand in a very long time!