Why become a member? ×

Insurance are paying for a New Bass! What to get?!

BigBadBass

Hello!

Cutting a long story short, the flat upstairs leaked in to my flat and wrecked some music equipment. Soaked the electronics in a few basses and pedals etc. I wasn't really looking to get a new bass as i've got a stingray 5 and a clover avenger 5 which im quite happy with!

Anyway i've been given around £1200 to spend on a new bass, The insurance have told me i can 'upgrade' if i want to put some money towards it if i wanted.

What to get?! Help needed!!

My band plays in D standard and it must be a 5 string bass. Was thinking about a 35 inch scale but have never played one, so its not crucial and i prefer a 3 band eq if possible. Any ideas people?

Thanks in advance!!!

[quote name='maxrossell' post='679921' date='Dec 10 2009, 09:19 AM']Do you have any preference on styling and that kind of thing? I'm assuming you want an active bass?[/quote]

I'm really open to suggestions. Im more concerned on how it plays and sounds as long as its not a really butt ugly bass!

It obviously depends on the sound you are after but if it was me and I was dropping to lower tuning I would probably want to go for a longer scale to tighten things up a little and give me a little more definition.

I play a 36" scale overwater which is phenominal. It took about 10 mins to get used to it over my old 34". You can get them secondhand for reasonable money or go direct and see what they can make you from scratch. They are unbelievable and sound fantastic and also the customer service is superb.

I would also suggest checking out dingwal basses. I played a 5 string J at Bass Direct and it was great, again takes a little getting used to the fanned frets but its looks great, and its a bit different and something people will remeber you by. Great basses and under hand you barely feel the difference.

[quote name='yorick' post='679958' date='Dec 10 2009, 09:53 AM']Sandberg JM5 or PM5.... sound, feel and look great.[/quote]

i was looking at a jm5 sandberg, the insurance people have been great i pretty much tell them what im looking for! they have got in contact with sandberg and apparently they are not doing anymore 5 strings!!! Shock horror! Im going to respond to the email today cause that surely cant be true!!

[quote name='Duarte' post='680005' date='Dec 10 2009, 10:43 AM']If you like the Stingray 5, consider a Bongo!

Seriously, seriously consider one.[/quote]

Mmmmmmm... Bongo goodness. Not just 3 but 4 band EQ.

Alternatively why not a Status Streamline for something completely different.