Why become a member? ×

Total bass noob - looking to buy first bass

rakester

Hi,

Looking to buy my first bass (not new to guitar, played six string electric for a while). Looking for a bass to finish of some recording I have done. I honestly don't have a clue about basses at all but obviously know what a good guitar feels like / how it should be played and setup.

I'm not looking to break the bank and will most likely buy used, looking to spend up to £300 on the bass guitar only (any less is also a plus :) ). A nice well rounded bass would be great so I can use it to cover many styles of music from clean ambient to stuff to dirty rock and roll.

Anyways, what brands and models should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Did you check the sticky at the top of this section of the forum: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009[/url] ?

All about buying your first bass and it's VERY useful. Pretty much anything anyone can say on this thread here will either be repeating what's in the sticky or just slightly updating it with reference to newly released models.

To sum up:
Don't worry about makes and models too much, go to music shops and try loads in your price bracket (there will be a large number in decent stores) and find one that feels right for you.

Nice points to start off trying are with Squier Jazzes and Precisions as they are benchmark instruments. Once you figure out what you like and are comfortable with (or not, some people just don't get on with Fender dimensions and designs) you can narrow it down.

As an fyi, if you do find a Jazz or Precision bass to be the bass your after, the Squier Vintage Modified series and the Classic Vibe series (~£200 -> £250 new) are [b]very[/b] highly rated on here and in pretty much any review you'll find. Extremely good for the money and better than Fender's own offerings in the form of their Mexican range (cheapest proper Fender range you can buy).

But seriously, go read the sticky. That little summery I've done doesn't do the sticky justice. It's a very good read and worth a couple of minutes of your time.

Also don't forget to post an little bit about yourself in the Introductions section as well :)

The current Squiers are nice, but if you buy one spend a bit more and get it set up by a good luthier (you can get recommendations for people in your area on this forum) because shop setups are usually sh*t, especially on their lower-priced guitars.

Honestly if you swapped out the bridge, tuners, pickups on a Squier you could probably gig it for the rest of your life. The necks are very decent.

Or if you're a full-on metal fan the budget Ibanez basses are alright. Or you could look at Yamaha, all their low-end basses are very nice.

You're spoilt for choice, basically. But avoid super-budget names like Vintage, Harley Benton, Stagg, etc. I don't know where they're building those but they aren't pleasant to play.

Thanks for the fantastic in depth replies, I really appreciate it :) A lot information I will definitely take on board and use wisely to find the perfect bass :rolleyes:

I may be opening a can of worms here but sound wise how do P bass differ to J basses? I read a P has a chunkier neck and a single humbucker pickup and the J uses two single coils and has a thinner neck? Are either limited to certain styles of music?

[quote name='rakester' post='677442' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:28 AM']I may be opening a can of worms here but sound wise how do P bass differ to J basses? I read a P has a chunkier neck and a single humbucker pickup and the J uses two single coils and has a thinner neck? Are either limited to certain styles of music?[/quote]

The P pickup is still a single coil, but a split design. The J has two coils that you can mix with a pair of volume controls.

The P is a simpler sound. Not necessarily a bad sound at all (there's been plenty of hit records made with P basses) but it does its one thing and there's not a lot of variation available. If you like the sound of the bass on tunes by, say, The Smiths, The Stranglers, The Clash, The Jam, The Housemartins, all the '60s Motown singles, etc. then you'll like the sound of a Precision bass.

The J offers more midrange, the pickup nearer the bridge has a very nasal quality, and the pickup toward the front sounds warmer and rounder than the pickup in the precision bass. To me the Jazz sounds thicker, generally, but the Precision is voiced very well for sitting in the typical bass guitar slot in a band mix. They both work well though and it's a matter of taste really. The Jazz is popular amongst disco/funk players particularly but it has been used in rock music and it was also used on most of the Jamaican pop records of the '60s and early '70s so it definitely does reggae too.

Neck-wise the Jazz gets much narrower towards the nut whereas the Precision is more consistent across the whole length of the fingerboard. In terms of the shape of the neck yeah, generally the P feels a bit chunkier, but it's not uncomfortable. And if you started on a P you'd never know the difference anyway, so don't let the neck profile put you off if you think the P sound is more the sound you want.

TBH if you're an out-and-out rocker I'd go for a Precision. Or if you particularly like '60s music, again, I'd plump for a Precision first. But otherwise, a Jazz might be more your cup of tea. Bear in mind there are tonnes of basses which aim to please both crowds with a P pickup at the front and a J pickup at the back. Some of them are cheap, and actually quite good (the Yamaha BB basses are basically more versatile Precision-type basses, the necks feel more like a Precision than anything else, but they have that extra pickup you can mix in if you want a bit more honk to your sound).

I'm glad you haven't asked about all the other bass guitars with their own distinctive signature sounds. :) To be fair there aren't really 'student' models of those anyway so they're not really worth bothering yourself with at the moment.

best buys imo are...

Ibanez SR300 (like a cheap SR500).
Ibanez SR500 (bit more expensive, but try one very well rounded).
Ibanez ATK300 (aggressive stingray tone).
Rockbass Streamer Standard (look for the new models with the new two-piece bridge, and without the cheesy headstock).
Rockbass Corvette (ditto).
Rockbass Fortress (ditto).
Squier VM Jazz (it's a jazz!).
Squier VM Precision (it's a P!).
Squier Deluxe Jazz (it's an active Jazz!).
Yamaha BB414 (very good all rounder).
Yamaha BB415 (5 string version, very decent).

And of course, second hand stuff is cheaper.

A choice is a personnal thing, but any of these imo can suit any beginner. Personnal choices would be the SR500 (second hand would be under £300), the VM Jazz, the Deluxe Jazz, or the Yamaha BB414.

Dunno about the T-bird, but if you try one, try one standing up with a strap. Or any bass for that matter.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

The only advice I'd give is to not buy westfield or anything like that. Stick with a good name. Sure you could spend £100 on a bass, but if you spend up to your budget and later decide bass isn't for you (but then again why would you!) the thing'll at least have some resale value - see my sig below for an example of what you can expect to get as a return for a westfield.... Budget for a decent gig bag too.

Haven't played the new Squiers, but haven't heard a bad report about them so that's a good place to start - the classic vibe jazz would be my choice. Also consider Yamaha, Ibanez (the ATK300 is an excellent bass), Rockbass (by Warwick). The Cort Curbow is also a nice starter bass, if a little odd looking.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Edited by Bigwan

Yeah, stick with good brands like Ibanez, Yamaha or Squier (although I'd avoid their bottom range, but their posh stuff is very nice), and you'll be fine.

Also to consider are Epiphone (Gibson copies) Cort (they actually manufacture a lot of stuff on behalf of other companies), Peavey, Rockbass, ESP, Washburn, Schecter.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

You could do worse than purchasing a nice preloved bass from the classified forum here. You'll get alot more bang for your buck with a second hand guitar. I'm a firm beliver that nice guitars demand to be played well & often, and starter basses are more likely to end up neglected under the bed/on top of the wardrobe. :)

Awesome replies, really appreciated! I think I'll pop to a music store and check out all the basses you have recommended and choose based on what sounds and feels right to me :)

One more question, active and passive seems to be a big thing with bass guitars. Can someone explain the differences / advantages / disadvantage / tonal characteristics? When I hear actives I automatically think of the likes of EMG's like in electric guitars (known for high gain metal pickups)

Active circuits basically give you more EQ options on the bass and they're usually a bit less noisy than passive basses (which tend to pick up interference to some degree). Passive basses just have a tone control that allows you to roll off some treble, whereas on active basses there might be bass, mid, treble boost/cut available, pre-shape switches ('bright', mid-cut, etc.), parametric mid-band selection etc.

Sometimes active circuits can make the signal sound a bit compressed, but it really depends on the circuit. They're also much better at preserving the sound of your bass down long cable runs (lower output impedance - passive basses can start to lose treble information after 20' of cable or so, even if it's good cable).

Again, there's no 'x is better than y' to it - some people don't like complicated controls, some people just think passive pups sound better, and so on.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='677437' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:38 AM']You're spoilt for choice, basically. But avoid super-budget names like Vintage, Harley Benton, Stagg, etc. I don't know where they're building those but they aren't pleasant to play.[/quote]

I've played a few really nice Vintage basses and there was a killer Stagg Jazz in my local Crack Converters, the headstock logo is horrible though! Probably the exception rather than the rule but those brands do produce some good P and J variants. Similarly the Aria basses are generally well built and good players

Regarding a good 1st bass for under £300 i'd go with what everyone says and look at the Squier CV series, also have a good look at the market section on here as there's some silly-good bargains pretty much every day!

like all these things you need a degree of perspective..and you only get that by playing a few..
You know constitutes a good guitar....well, basses aren't so very different.. If it feels good in your hands and you can play things on it easily, then thats a good set-up for you.

By all means try a few at your local shop but unless you get a great finance deal or whatever, they will eat into your bass fund PDQ..with the shop/new markup etc.
A second hand price is better, and there are some good looking basses here on board which promise more bang for buck.
Depends how confident you are in this regard, but you should still play the thing, whatever you do.

For resale, a second hand Fender/Squire will generally hold onto its sort of money..

tbh, for 300 squids, you can have very decent gear. Even the bottom feeders are decent (no more plywood crap unless you go for stupidly cheap and unbranded). I still have my Hohner BBass IV professional (the one with the Drop-D tuning and Steinberger bridge), that I paid £300 at the time, and it's in great shape (although in the middle of upgrading the electronics).

Coincidently, Hohner does good gear too. Ibanez SR are great for guitarist, as they are light, slim, and small bodied, while still balancing very well. My K5 feels like a toy (although well built) compared to the Warwick or ACG.

In this day and age, you could find some crazy deals if you shop around. It's not unheard off seeing Warwicks for a shade more than £300, and I found my Ibanez K5 for £220.

Active gives you an EQ at your fingertips. I'm not a fan for cheap models as the preamp is usually the weak point, even though they still do the job.

I've recently realised that "I know what I like" - I'm in the process of designing my next bass, one of the things that I've agonised over is pick ups.
I went to a couple of shops and tried out different basses, I kept coming back to passive , twin humbuckers. It does it for me, no batteries , natural but big sound , high output.
I'd second the Ibanez SRX 360- not tried one but I've been impressed with all things Ibanez.
I tried a Jet King and loved it- nice touch of metal in the tone, retro look.
Also tried a Dean with two humbuckers, very nice, it was about £160? The body didn't have much contouring, a big slab of wood , lovely to play, big T bird sound, maybe a bit more edge to it.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='677881' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:58 PM']I've played a few really nice Vintage basses and there was a killer Stagg Jazz in my local Crack Converters, the headstock logo is horrible though! Probably the exception rather than the rule but those brands do produce some good P and J variants.[/quote]

Weird. I do occasionally pick them up in guitar shops thinking that I might eventually come across an unusually good one, but I've never found one that felt like they'd finished building it.

I have a Squier VM Jazz, its really good, really easy to play and very sexy IMO. I have literally just recieved an Ibanez Ergodyne EDB500, and the 10 minutes I have spent with it have been great. Such a nice range of tones and the neck is pure sex. Both these were under £200 and for the money I think they are stunning. I also have a Dean Rapsody 5 stringer which is a beast for metal type stuff, but very heavy and quite thick neck.

I think it depends on what sort of styles you are going to play, I think the VM Jazz is a good all rounder, but maybe a bit limited in some extreme situations. The Ibanez seems like it could do anything from jazz to death metal.

I would always point people in the way of something like a precision or a jazz as they cross genres / styles and are classic. I too rate the Squier range but there is some really good advice on this thread. Try as many as you can and pick what feels good for you

As a personal view, if you are a guitarist and looking for a recording bass I would give Danelectro a bit of serious thought. The short scale basses are good for guitarists who are just dipping in for a bit of home recording.

I started off with a Yamaha RB170, as bog-standard as you can get. It was a GREAT bass to learn on, with a P/J pickup combination that gives you a good basic understanding of 'trad' bass tones. I've never played a yamaha that felt bad, in my opinion these or the Ibanez ranges are the safest options for beginners. I tried some Squiers the other day and was seriously unimpressed with the normal range, though the Vintage Modified sounded good. Not as nicely finished on the neck as a Yamaha though and twice the price.

I wouldn't spend any more than you need to on a first bass, so you can get to grips with the instrument and learn more about what you're after before sinking £300 plus into something you may find doesn't match your developing tastes.

My view on active v passive: at the LOW end of the market, I find I feel more 'connected' to my instrument with a passive, it seems to respond more to my fingers where a lot of cheap pre-amps choke the sound. This helps develop good technique where your fingers do the work rather than dialling in a tone with EQ and is a good thing for the future. Once you know how to control your tone with your fingers, THEN active basses become useful.

Good luck