Why become a member? ×

Wooly Ashdown

stingrayfan

Ashdown wooly?

+1

So much so that in the practice studios we use, I always go to the extra effort to bring along my own little Markbass combo.

Can't remember the model of Ashdown, but it is total rubbish. No matter how I played around with it I couldn't get any mids or tightness. And every so often it would spit out an extra loud, extra wooly tone - completely out of the blue - that set every drum kit in the vicinity resonating. The band members all looked as puzzled as I was.

We now make good use of the Ashdown amp and cab to stack our coats on. It's probably fairly mediocre at this task too.

CB

Not sure about wooly - more like wading through a thick layer of mud :)

Used to rehearse somewhere that had all Ashdown gear. Had to use my little Sadowsky pre-amp to bypass the pre-amp. Helped quite a lot but the cabs were still all about low thud and no definition or clarity :(

I've never experienced the fabled Ashdown woolly sound. I've used Peavey, Hartke, Fender, TC Electronics etc but the best sound I ever had was from my old EB 150 Ashdown combo. I liked the EB sound so much, I then bought an ABM 500 head which was great but sounded better through my TC electronic 2x12 than through the ABM Neo 1x15 that I bought to pair up with it. I've now bought the new Ashdown MiBass class D head which is semi parametric so you can choose the frequencies to boost or cut. Which I play through a 1x15 with a Eminence Kappalite speaker fitted. There's definitely nothing woolly about that combination.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1358688845' post='1943331']
+1
No problems at all with clarity or top end. I did find their 15 speakers less distinct than the 10s - but no suprises there. ABMs are also designed/marketed around a fairly strong signature tone, which doesn't suite everyone (just same as more transparent/uncoloured amps don't suit everyone either). If you try and dial it out you'll get frustrated quite quickly. If you work with it the results can be plenty impressive.
[/quote]

The problem wit this and comments about slappers is that sure I can get a super transparent sound from any of my Genz heads but they can also do the bottom end either as a mix or on its own for a super tight thumpy thing, I would happily put my 900w twin channel (FET and Tube mixed or solo'd) against any of the EVO heads (I had one for 10 years) and it will do everything the Ashdown can plus the top end thing, even on the foot switch if you really want to be versatile. For anyone playing multiple styles I just think things have moved on from a warmed over Trace Elliot PCB from the 80's ;) :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358700403' post='1943583']
The problem wit this and comments about slappers is that sure I can get a super transparent sound from any of my Genz heads but they can also do the bottom end either as a mix or on its own for a super tight thumpy thing, I would happily put my 900w twin channel (FET and Tube mixed or solo'd) against any of the EVO heads (I had one for 10 years) and it will do everything the Ashdown can plus the top end thing, even on the foot switch if you really want to be versatile. For anyone playing multiple styles I just think things have moved on from a warmed over Trace Elliot PCB from the 80's ;) :)
[/quote]

The ABM isn't designed to be super transparent, but neither is it the one trick pony everyone who has played through it for 30 seconds, got puzzled by the EQ and given up, makes it out to be ;)

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1358700908' post='1943602']
The ABM isn't designed to be super transparent, but neither is it the one trick pony everyone who has played through it for 30 seconds, got puzzled by the EQ and given up, makes it out to be ;)
[/quote]
Like I said I had it 10 years mate ;) wooly as jumper my dear old nan used to knit :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358701063' post='1943607']
Like I said I had it 10 years mate ;) wooly as jumper my dear old nan used to knit :)
[/quote]
I read that, but the majority of people who don't like Ashdown use them once at a rehearsal studio and are clueless as to how an EQ works.
10 years is a long time to put up with a "wooly jumper", did you have the EQ switched off or something? ;)

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1358706988' post='1943749']
I reckon we should all celebrate the diversity and be thankful that the Ashdown users have introduced us to these 'wading bass lines'. Every day's a school day where music's concerned. :-)

CB
[/quote]

You're right, your one experience with Ashdown applies to their entire range and all of their users. Ashdown - JJ Burnell, Pino Palladino, Nate Mendel. Markbass - Jeff Berlin. Nuff said.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1358712850' post='1943947']
You're right, your one experience with Ashdown applies to their entire range and all of their users.
[/quote]
Agreed. That would make total sense - I haven't liked Pino so much since he stopped using the fretless StingRay and OC-2 and changed to Ashdown amps and P-Basses.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1358721356' post='1944173']
Agreed. That would make total sense - I haven't liked Pino so much since he stopped using the fretless StingRay and OC-2 and changed to Ashdown amps and P-Basses.

CB
[/quote]

I don't think he'll lose any sleep, he's just happy they didn't ask him to endorse a bass modelled on a toilet seat and an amp dressed up as a bee.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1358722043' post='1944189']
I don't think he'll lose any sleep, he's just happy they didn't ask him to endorse a bass modelled on a toilet seat and an amp dressed up as a bee.
[/quote]
Ha ha. Love it :-)

CB

PS: These bees get everywhere :-)

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358700403' post='1943583']
[/quote]

Well I'm not rising to the bait other than to say if it works for you, great. But personally have zero complaints about the ABM tone. Its a superb rock amp and I find it perfect in my band setting. I've tried genz shuttles and they were great, sure. But didn't make me particularly want one. More versitile? Probably. As good? Maybe (didn't spend long enough to say really, but it wasn't an instant hit). As desirable? Depends if you're happy with something that looks like a halfords car radio :lol: Each to their own. B) When its time for a rig change I'll take another look.

The bass player I heard using an Ashdown Little Giant 1000w the other night certainly didn't sound wooly or muddy.

My mate, who uses a little EB180, doesn't sound wooly either. He gets a very nice slap tone.

Having heard other people use them, I certainly wouldn't be put off the brand.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1358767932' post='1944540']

Well I'm not rising to the bait other than to say if it works for you, great. But personally have zero complaints about the ABM tone. Its a superb rock amp and I find it perfect in my band setting. I've tried genz shuttles and they were great, sure. But didn't make me particularly want one. More versitile? Probably. As good? Maybe (didn't spend long enough to say really, but it wasn't an instant hit). As desirable? Depends if you're happy with something that looks like a halfords car radio :lol: Each to their own. B) When its time for a rig change I'll take another look.
[/quote]

Its the versatility I need though, everything else I agree with really :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1358791278' post='1945110']
The bass player I heard using an Ashdown Little Giant 1000w the other night certainly didn't sound wooly or muddy.

My mate, who uses a little EB180, doesn't sound wooly either. He gets a very nice slap tone.

Having heard other people use them, I certainly wouldn't be put off the brand.
[/quote]
I honestly think the cheaper ones sound better, more focused too. Even when I was flying the ABM evo Ashdown flag that was clear to me, I have said so in numerous ashdown knocking threads :lol:

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358721780' post='1944184']
I would just like to say that I would happily put my Ashdown MiBass rig up against anything and defy anyone
to say anything negative about it.
[/quote]
I better bring my shuttleMax 9.2 to my next lesson then :lol: (which I will text you about later actually, ta)

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1193141469' post='78244']
Snap. The house rig in whistlebinkies in Edinburgh is Ashdown and I've never heard it sound decent.
[/quote]
[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1193183730' post='78620']
thats cos its wistlebinkies, the most amazing band in the world ever could play in there and we would all come out and wonder why nothing had sounded decent.
bannermans has one too, last time i was in there last week the idiot on PA had the whole PA too loud, hurt my ears for no good reason and couldn't hear and definition on anything but the kick and snare.
I've managed to avoid playing both so far. Cab Vol is pretty sweet, the PA subs are under the stage so you can literally feel your playing.
However when you play cab vol you bring you own amp, which i did, which wasn't an ashdown, so i digress
[/quote]

Up until recently I would have agreed but WBs have got rid of the sh*tty Ashdown MAG 4x10 and replaced it with a Ampeg SVT Classic 410 which sounds great combined with the Ashdown MAG 600 they have and my Jazz. Played there the other day and they were putting an Ampeg PF500 through it which didn't sound quite as good.

Has anyone got the newish 12 Band Tonal Emphasis Ashdown? If it has more "new string" sound than my MAG 600 I am interested.Is it all solid state? How about the Little Bastard 550 with 2 valve preamp? Aren't these amps less wooly?

Edited by grenadilla

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1358861318' post='1946133']
Has anyone got the newish 12 Band Tonal Emphisis Ashdown? If it has more "new string" sound than my MAG 600 I am interested.Is it all solid state? How about the Little Bastard 550 with 2 valve preamp? Aren't these amps less wooly?
[/quote]

The dual tube Spyder 550 is anything but woolly. It is one of the cleanest, clearest amps I have ever played ...... sort of the anti-thesis of the ABM amps.

Oh, and sorry for not having anything to say about any of the 3 amps you asked about. Lol ! Just trying to make a point that Ashdown do make some very different amps.