Why become a member? ×

Wooly Ashdown

stingrayfan

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1358861318' post='1946133']
Has anyone got the newish 12 Band Tonal Emphasis Ashdown? If it has more "new string" sound than my MAG 600 I am interested.Is it all solid state? How about the Little Bastard 550 with 2 valve preamp? Aren't these amps less wooly?
[/quote]

I've got a British made JJ500 that's far from wooly sounding.

Looking at Ashdown's new website they appear to have dropped the 12 band range

I have an early ABM and it's the dogsB of an amp, the later ones I don't really like they sound less defined. Klystron heads were cool sound like my ole ABM. The 550 Spyder ( the red one) was the bollocks but they discontinued it before people discovered it. The TE head JJ Burnell Mark king head was basically a reincarnation of a Trace Elliot GP12 I.e the bollocks if you know how to use it. mark king (tackle tart) dropped this amp and went to a TC electronic head which is just laughable the MK500 is louder when it's switched off. the LB30 is the best recording amp in the history of the universe, it' earns me money every day, it's a classic amp, shame it didn't come out on the 60s as it would be an icon. It's a modern day B15 but a lot more versatile. the CTM300 also is an amazing amplifier modern / old school power precision all with a passive tone stack just great if you can afford one! BTAs great idea tube and solid state in reverse I.e the best way round, but tube snobs don't get it. Leo Fender would... The LB VS CL cabs are the bollocks but take an age to break in. I have a cl610 it is musical fidelity but took so long to break. I don't like ABM cabs the cones move to slow for me. The mag cabs have all the definition of a soapy t@t wa@k the mids are there last Tuesday. You can basically play anything and get away with it. Mag heads are good. I like the tone. ESP the latest incarn. Mi cabs are very nice indeed. Mi10 is what it is a noodle and monitor cab, the mi12 punches way above its weight, the tweeter is the smoothest I have ever heard great. Biggest question why did they kill the dual tube series, I guess lack of sales, but with a good cab I.e flat response no mid scoopy, they are great. Mibass eq is great, but they suffer like every other switch mode amp lack dynamics. Mibass 2.0 I haven't tried. Superfly great but they can fry an egg. Little giant only good if used with the superbly 484 cab which was about 3 times the cost of the amp I.e dumb. Mibass interface just playing with it but promising, but why just ABM software what about all the other amps CTM lb30 Spyder? Dr green pedals 1st one on order......

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1359449644' post='1954788']
I've got a British made JJ500 that's far from wooly sounding.

[i][b]Looking at Ashdown's new website they appear to have dropped the 12 band range[/b][/i]
[/quote]

Shame, I would have liked to try one and compare it to the [i]real [/i]thing. It might have been an Ashdown that I actually got on with. I tried the Mark King 2x10 combo a while back and couldn't get that to work for me.

Anyone tried an Ashdown with the neo speakers? It will rip your head off and you can just keep turning it up without compromising sound quality.

I get the different taste thing tho, I love my new TC electronics amp but I know some dont get on with them as they prefer a more old skool sound.

Mikey.

Edited by baseline9