Why become a member? ×

Wooly Ashdown

stingrayfan

I had an EVO II 500 RC discombobulator as part of a stack that I bought, complete with 2 ABM 115s.

I absolutely hated the sound. very indistinct, no definition, managed to blow a speaker in one of the cabs.

I'm back with GK which are IMO the king of tranny amps (transistor - not the other type of tranny) and a Schroeder 1212L cab. Couldn't be happier. Well I could be if I won the lottery, was chosen by the Chilis as their replacement for Flea, I could go on but you get the idea.

I think it's quite a hit and miss thing really. Nash had an evo 500 pre which sounded 'ok' so he got rid of it, but I have a 500 evo II head which sounds great - no muddyness at all. Never been a fan of 15's with an ashdown head mind - since I got the 8x10 the clarity is superb and so 'zingy' with my stingray :)

Oh thank almighty Zarquon, I was starting to think it was just me that hated the things. I've tried Ashdown amps stuff a number of times, and I've tried really hard to like them, but no. To my ears they just sound horrid unless you apply a ton of EQ -- for me, if an amp doesn't sound OK with the EQ flat, then forget it.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='76406' date='Oct 19 2007, 11:12 AM']i was thinking of getting a 15 cab to get more low end grunt but i wonder if i would be better getting another 2x10 and stacking vertically. hmm just want to get the full output from the combo and some low end whackola[/quote]

I have used the 2x10 Mag Combo on top of a 1x15 Deep Cab for years and it is[b] AWESOME[/b]!!! :) :huh:

I use the combo alone for rehearsals and bring along the cab to gigs where I want to move more air. :huh: :huh:

The ideal solution, for me anyway. :huh: :huh:

Edited by bassicinstinct

[quote name='Rich' post='76481' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:56 PM']Oh thank almighty Zarquon, I was starting to think it was just me that hated the things. I've tried Ashdown amps stuff a number of times, and I've tried really hard to like them, but no. To my ears they just sound horrid unless you apply a ton of EQ -- for me, if an amp doesn't sound OK with the EQ flat, then forget it.[/quote]

good call. with the preshape 'muddy' switch off and the Eq off to my ears it just sounds Ok. nothing exciting. I have a wee Vox T25, all flat that sounds warm and intresting, i have an ancient Laney Pro-bass and all eq flat it sounds fun, both have rewarding tones making me want to play more. ashdowns... not so rewarding.

I used an Ashdown ABM head for a few years and it was always absolutely fine. I did use it with a Warwick bass so the brightness of the bass compensated for any wooliness. Also the pre shape is IMHO a waste of time. It's a tone-killer switch to my ears! I also generally used the eq to add in some mids and high end and the gain needs to be up fairly high with most basses.

Neil.

this is one thing that has always confused me and i have seen it said alot. but if you are judging an amp on its sound flat then what is the point of teh EQ? yeah i'll agree my mag doesn't sound great (to me) set flat, but use the pre shapes and the eq and it comes alive, does that make it crap? not to me
i played my bass through it flat and then messed with the tone options available to get my sound, throwing an amp out on its flat sound just seems wrong, though horses for courses i suppose.

Seriously chaps, it's all about the sound and tone, isn't it?

It's not about how the rig looks on stage (helps!) or what's fashionable, it's all about how amplify that great instrument we spent hours and a good deal on money on getting specified, built (if custom) or found.

I know it's got a long German name but I still have not found anything as faithful to the instrument and a great basis to add anything else in the signal chain if needed than my Glockenklang rig or 'Glock' for short.

It has the most transparent sound via both amplifier and cabs I have yet to hear (other than Epifani) with a totally logical easy to use control panel with 4-band EQ for further tone-shaping when required, built to the highest quality and just simply the bees knees!

It's everything you need for great clear tone and whatever sound you need.

My Glock 'Soul Top' with a TAKE FIVE 4 x 10" cab just brill! I always keep coming back to this gear after trying others just to keep up with 'developments'.

Just saving up for more power and that's a Glockenklang 'Heart-Rock' on the horizon I see!

Caption: "Straker only a Glock will do...get one on order"

Edited by Bassman7

[quote name='JD1' date='Oct 20 2007, 04:41 PM' post='77023']
Has anyone tried the Mark King head? I'd be interested to hear if it is a different beast to the ABM - or just an ABM with a graphic in a red party frock.

MB1. :) +1
And a lovely little princess on it!

I have an ABM500 plus 1x15 and 2x10 Cabs and was satisfied with the sound, mind you I am also `old school'. I have recently bought an EBS TD650 and Ampeg 4 x 10, which makes an awesome sound! However, I'm keeping the Ashdown as it also sounds great and is more portable, so I just take out what takes my fancy: EBS wins 5:1, but hey, I don't play with a rock band that often.

Oh and the Bassman you see to your left!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same with basses though; one man's meat is another man's poison!

Edited by Charla

There is nothing wrong with the heads in my humble opinion- its the speakers which are the problem, wooden (almost) crate with a speaker and hole, built to a budget, vanilla, missionary, cheap and nasty design-yes even the ABM range. Its our fault we do not demand better.
If you buy a loose speaker and work out the optimum size cab using win programme, the reccomended cab size is usually the dimensions nearing a washing machine to make it work efficiently. :huh:
I purchased a Mag115 in 2003 and when I looked inside it had a 150watt speaker in it instead of a 250 which is what it was rated at. Ashdown said that I could have a replacement speaker anytime in the future should it blow, it has not yet, at 8ohms it is obviously ok in the real world but you get my drift. Beware discount shops.
So there, I am not wrong this time. :)

Edited by billynoband

[quote name='billynoband' post='77264' date='Oct 21 2007, 12:35 PM']There is nothing wrong with the heads in my humble opinion- its the speakers which are the problem, wooden (almost) crate with a speaker and hole, built to a budget, vanilla, missionary, cheap and nasty design-yes even the ABM range. Its our fault we do not demand better.[/quote]

when i've played ashdowns in the past, they've not been running through ashdown cabs...trace elliot and peavey, but not their own brand...

ymmv of course

Another vote here for turning off the "pre-shape" function, it really not too sure why they even put those on amps. I mean, wouldn't it be possible to dial in the same tone, just by using the EQ or am I missing something?

Of course, I don't for one second think that most people, who're displeased with the Ashdown sound haven't actually tried turning the pre-shape off. As many have already stated, it's a horses for courses situation. Personally I love my ABM300 EVO-II, ABM 210T and ABM 410T.

My only real complaint so far, is having to remember what position on and off are, for the Pre/Post EQ D.I. switch. Oh and the Sub-Harmonics function is pretty crap if you ask me (but then I'm used to using a WH4 Whammy), and the OD sounds a bit rubbish after 12 o'clock, that's just my opinion though, others seem to like it fairly cranked.

Edited by redzombie

[quote name='MB1' date='Oct 20 2007, 05:18 PM' post='77039']
[quote name='JD1' date='Oct 20 2007, 04:41 PM' post='77023']
Has anyone tried the Mark King head? I'd be interested to hear if it is a different beast to the ABM - or just an ABM with a graphic in a red party frock.

MB1. :) +1
And a lovely little princess on it!

MB1. :huh:

nobody got one of these Ashdown MK amp heads?

[quote name='redzombie' post='77417' date='Oct 21 2007, 06:57 PM']Another vote here for turning off the "pre-shape" function, it really not too sure why they even put those on amps. I mean, wouldn't it be possible to dial in the same tone, just by using the EQ or am I missing something?

Of course, I don't for one second think that most people, who're displeased with the Ashdown sound haven't actually tried turning the pre-shape off. As many have already stated, it's a horses for courses situation. Personally I love my ABM300 EVO-II, ABM 210T and ABM 410T.

My only real complaint so far, is having to remember what position on and off are, for the Pre/Post EQ D.I. switch. Oh and the Sub-Harmonics function is pretty crap if you ask me (but then I'm used to using a WH4 Whammy), and the OD sounds a bit rubbish after 12 o'clock, that's just my opinion though, others seem to like it fairly cranked.[/quote]

:S i was playing through one for a year or so every few weeks till i realised to turn the pre-shape off. have to crank the gain- but then the VU meter is broke on ours so gain is a bit of a guessing game.
by OD do you mean the preamp selector knob?

also do the new ones sound the same?