Why become a member? ×

wal bass - are they really worth the premium?

blind pilot

hey all,

now let me start off by saying i am a complete noob, been playing for 8 months now after a 13 year break, back in band and will be gigging soon, where we cover some Tool songs.

having done my research i see Justin Chancellor uses a Wal bass, and this helps to get his tone, i have got fairly close to this tone using my ibanez srx 300 and a tube emulator pedal, and although i love the look of the Wal, can it really justify the £3200+ price tag (used on the bay are way over £2000) ?

discusss:-

A Wal is like any other expensive bass, if it's the one that you absolutely must have then it's worth every penny.

Remember though when trying to replicate any particular player's sound that the musician themselves is just as important in getting that sound as all the other components in the signal path. Even if you were lucky enough to be able to use Justin Chancellor's bass, effects and amps, doesn't guarantee that you'll be able to sound like him.

Yes - because they are the dbs.

I have had one since 1986 and have never played a bass I prefer since - I have owned three other bassses at the same time as the Wal and might as well not have bothered as they stay on the wall. I play jazz, funk, rock, pop and Latin and it delivers everything I need in each genre. There is no 'Wal sound' because they are so versatile that Percy Jones, Mick Karn, Geddy Lee and me can all play one and sound nothing whatsoever like each other. They don't have endorsees and everyone you ever see being played is bought and paid for by the owner. Compared to many other designer basses they are competitively priced. Try one and you'll never go back (unlike some of the tarts on here who clearly don't know the meaning of the word 'commitment' and , consequently have condemned themselves to a life of GAS :))

i REALLY love the look of the Wal, and i get your point re playing styles, but i can t help thinking if i spent that amount of money on this or any 'boutique' would it really 'feel' worth the pennies?

another thing that adds doubt, is our guitarist, uses an epiphone Les Paul, and a friend brought up £1600 worth of geniune Les Paul, and there was no difference apart from being £1000 lighter in the pocket :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='673993' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:44 AM']Even if you were lucky enough to be able to use Justin Chancellor's bass, effects and amps, doesn't guarantee that you'll be able to sound like him.[/quote]

There is a lovely story of Ted Nugent being impressed by his support band's guitarist's sound and asking to try his gear. The fledgling musician in question was Eddie Van Halen. When he picked up Fast Eddie's guitar, without changing the amp settings etc, Nugent sounded like.......... Ted Nugent :)

The bass is only part of the sound. With a Wal, you can find yourself so easily.

Even a Gibson Les Paul is still a mass-produced instrument produced to a price, so it's not going to have that feel or attention to detail that an individually made instrument like a Wal has and therefore the comparison isn't really valid.

I think you need to try one to see if it's the right bass for you. There isn't really any other way you're going to find out. Also just because it's expensive doesn't mean that it's necessarily a better bass to suit how you play and what you want to do with it. The overall standard of construction and finish will be superior to a mass-produced instrument, but that alone doesn't make it the right bass for you.

Also as Bilbo has said, there isn't really a Wal sound. If anything it's a bass that brings out the sound of player rather than the sound of the bass, so there is a good chance that you'll actually sound less like Mr Chancellor with a Wal then you do at the moment.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='674013' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:03 AM']... there is a good chance that you'll actually sound less like Mr Chancellor with a Wal then you do at the moment.[/quote]

How marvellous! There's a quote from Steve Swallow where he says that, in order to make progress as an individual player, you have to 'eat your father' i.e. get rid of your influences. Blind pilot needs to work hard at NOT sounding like Justin Chancellor - ironically, using the same bass may be a start!!

As ever - to make a decent 'jump' in quality from a £500 bass (which these days is already a pro's tool) doesn't cost £700. You need to go into the realms of very high build quality and then you're into personal choice. I think it's a mistake to assume that buying a Wal will make you sound like someone else you heard playing one and before I considered shelling out 2k on an instrument I'd try every 2k range instrument I could lay my hands on and see what feels/sounds/works best for you.

That could well end up being a Wal - they are a wonderful instrument to play , and I've played plenty. They seem to hold their value well too which is not true of some high end basses (bar the vintage Fender market). A move to this quality is not a question of cost , though , but one of value - an investment not just in cash but in life interest.

I'm ever mindful of the fact that of the 6 basses I own the two that earn me the most and - more important - get played the most are the two cheapest ones.
Having said that - I find playing my vintage Fender or my handbuilt Shuker truly inspirational.

I have a Wal and it's a great instrument. I love playing it and wouldn't sell but these days I'm only gigging with the Lakland. We have all brought gear that we've seen our heroes playing. I have and was very disappointed that I didn't sound anything like them! Unless you are in a tribute band, get the best bass you can afford and start sounding like you.

wow guys, really appreciate your comments. As i said i am noob, and maybe stupidly though by copying the gear i would get the sound.

I do play with my own style, but you know when playing songs like Aenima, it to me, is important to get "that Sound", not only so the cover sounds good, but also i feel to do it justice, if that makes sense?

plus as i said beofre, i REALLY dig the look of a WAL

I suppose, i should try and get to play one, and more importantly start saving!

PS any one want to buy my wife, one owner from new, low mileage, still goes well :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you saying the Wal is going to cost you £3200...??

Nope, not for me, no way in a million..
They normally sound ok, but are just a bit too dated and blocky to be of universal use, IMV..
And ask yourself how easy it will be to get that sort of money back.. if and when you come to trade it in or sell it on.

Sort after hot-name jazzes may get that sort of money as the market is big..not sure that applies to Wals.
My friend has a nice 5 string...which is very heavy..so it doesn't get used much, and it is a nicely made bass but I'd put the value at £1000, max, but then that is just me.

Swot up the second hand price and try and see what these really go for..would be my take..

Why do people get so worked up about the price? Just because you wouldn't spend that much on a bass doesn't mean that they're not worth that much to someone else. As Dr Dave said it's all about VALUE not cost.

Some people are perfectly happy with a £100 SX for others nothing less than a £10,000 Ritter will do. There's no shame or benefit in either - or in any of the stages in between. It's all about finding what's right for you, and if your think that the cost is justifiable then go for it.

I would love to be able to find instruments that suit me for under £500, but I have eclectic tastes and therefore what I like and what suits what I want from a bass doesn't come cheap. That's a fact of life and I deal with it. Personally I don't get "boutique" J basses. To me they're nothing more than Fenders in posh frocks; I don't see them addressing the short-comings of the bass they are copying, but for other people they are exactly what is required. It would be so boring if we all had the same tastes and played the same basses.

Also I don't get the obsession with looking at the resale value of a custom bass. Ordering an instrument like that with one eye on maybe selling it on at some point is almost guaranteed to get you a bass that ultimately you won't be completely happy with and you'll most likely end up selling it. If you're going to go custom be bold and confident with your order. Know what you want and let your luthier help you make the right decisions. The 2 custom basses that I own that were built especially for me will be the two that they'll be prising out of my cold dead hands before I part with them. I don't expect anyone else to like them, but that's not the point. They were designed to suit me and my playing style.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='674268' date='Dec 4 2009, 03:57 PM']You live in Colchester? Get thee to Status Graphite! Rob, Dawn & co. will doubtless have something that takes your fancy![/quote]

Deffo worth a look - I've yet to hear a Status that I didn't like the sound of.

To go back to the OP...

I'm not a Wal owner, never have & am unlikely ever to be - but I have played a couple (Walman's & Silverfoxnik's) at a Bash acouple of years back.

My opinions?

A bit Marmite tbh - I can see why people love them with a passion & they're exceptional instruments, but they're not for me. I had difficulty with the neck profile, a Wal neck has a profile unlike anything I've ever met, it definitely works, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it just felt wrong in my hand - kind of the opposite to a Warwick (another excellent, but Marmite, bass in my opinion) with its flat D profile, a Wal has a sort of "hump". Tonal versatility? buckets of it! Ease of playing? Segmentised Urea.

I'm sticking with my old Aria SB's - they just fit me, physically & sonically (more Marmite as well!)

Try a Wal, they are very, very, good & if you fall in love with it then you'll justify the expense - but try one first.

Pete.

Advice for the OP.

I think it's time for you to go and try as many basses as you can. Go to the [url="http://www.bassmerchant.com"]Bass Merchant[/url]. Take a day out in London and visit the [url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/"]Gallery[/url]. Don't worry about your playing skills. Just try as many basses as you can in every price range. Spend some time finding out what works for you. You may find something else that in your hands gives you the sounds you want. You might find that your existing bass is the one. You might decide that nothing but a Wal will do.

Only you can make that decision, and only by trying the basses can you make the right one for you.

to big red and all the other posters - sound advice and thanks for your input.

maybe i am just being seduced by the name and looks, and on reflection, i am pretty happy with my tone from my modest bass's.

i think i need to start saving, then maybe try out some of the bass's as mentioned, and i would probably see more gains from spending more time behind the fretboard and improving my playing i guess!

without wanting to sound like a sucker - what a great forum, i have spent years tuning cars and spent time on car forums and the difference in people,attitude and quality of posts is stark! thanks all! :)

J

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='674000' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:48 AM']Yes - because they are the dbs.

I have had one since 1986 and have never played a bass I prefer since - I have owned three other bassses at the same time as the Wal and might as well not have bothered as they stay on the wall. I play jazz, funk, rock, pop and Latin and it delivers everything I need in each genre. There is no 'Wal sound' b. They don't have endorsees and everyone you ever see being played is bought and paid for by the owner. Compared to many other designer basses they are competitively priced. Try one and you'll never go back (unlike some of the tarts on here who clearly don't know the meaning of the word 'commitment' and , consequently have condemned themselves to a life of GAS :rolleyes:)[/quote]

This from a man who doesn't see the point of custom builds. So a Wal is worth £3k plus but something custom built isn't? :) "Try one and you'll never go back" - remember the Custom I had didn't work for me at all (although I'm still hankering after a passive Pro II). However as an earlier poster said, it's worth it if you think it is. If you don't then it isn't, simple as. As for the statement "because they are so versatile that Percy Jones, Mick Karn, Geddy Lee and me can all play one and sound nothing whatsoever like each other", I think that's quite possible with any bass, particularly if the player has a distinctive style - do Jaco, John Paul Jones, Family Man and Larry Graham all sound the same? Of course it's quite possible to work towards another player's sound with the same gear but it's just as easy (probably easier) to move away from it. In addition Geddy on a Wal doesn't sound much like Geddy on a Jazz or Rick. Doesn't really prove much.

Having said that, and this is important, every Wal you play will be different to some degree (all the ones I've played have been), as will every other individual bass (whatever the make) out there. For instance I've played great Fender Ps, mediocre ones and terrible ones, and it's also quite possible that the ones I thought were terrible someone else would've loved, and vice versa. You have to find the instrument that suits you, and that can mean anything from trying a lot to (if you're lucky like Bilbo) loving one of the first ones you pick up.

Edited by 4000