Why become a member? ×

Aguilar GS112?

Veils

I'm thinking of going down the small rig route. Probably a LMKII and 2 GS112's, but I have read fairly mixed reviews of the GS112 so far. Obviously playing with any reasonable volume through one cab is risking some kind of compromise in sound, but am I right in assuming that 2 of them should be able to cope nicely (with say for example a LMKII)? Bear in mind I play half a step down so will be throwing in the odd low Bb.........

Just looking for the thoughts of anyone who owns or has owned these cabs. And does anyone know of anywhere near Manchester that stocks them??

Thanks!

This is a purely personal thing, but I tried them recently as I was thinking of downsizing and was very dissapointed. It's not that they are 'flat' sounding somehow, but I can help but feel you miss the larger enclosures.

I think for lighter stuff, they'd be okay but I personally didn't like the tone at all.

What about a Barefaced? I've never heard one, but they are light, not too huge and worth a look perhaps?

Love mine and will add another soon. I wouldn't hook one up to an amp that exceeds the power of the cab, myself tho.

I think they are a tight punchy cab with a mid scoop. It may depend on your bass as to how well this works. In my case, it softens
the mids and I like this but my basses aren't mid-light anyway..

As for an example of light and performing, they are great... one in each hand and both fit my boot.
I am after another one as people say 2 together sound far better than one on its own and the two will cover most of my gigs, I think.

Two work well together. I found them very transparent, which suits me, as I think of my Shuttle as being similarly transparent. My Shuttle/GS112 rig let me reproduce the sound of the bass and my 'touch' nicely. They were definitely loud enough! They're small enough to fit in cars and can be carried one in each hand. They're not very light in weight though.

I'm now trying the Barefaced route out of curiosity, but the good thing about the Aguila's is that they're not so rare on the used market so I feel I can always return to them if I feel like it.

I quite like the idea of having 2 small cabs, so I will definitely buy 2 if I go for them. The idea is that I will keep one at my house and one at my guitarists as we often do writing sessions round his house and it just makes the whole thing more convenient. My bass is capable of producing a pretty wide spectrum of tones and I too quite like the idea of having a "transparent" sound, which is why I am thinking of going back to the LMKII. I used to have one but thought it sounded crap with the Status I was playing at the time!

I have two GS112s - my third set :) - I keep coming back to them for a good reason. You can do small gigs with one, I did a gig in a room with about 100 people in with my six piece band (very loud drummer) with just one cab and it coped admirably. Two GS112s will handle just about everything and there's no problem with a low B at all. Sure, they are a little mid-scooped but then, you have EQ to adjust that so no problem there.

There's no need to worry about using an LMK with one cab because I'm pretty sure your LMK is only putting out 300 watts max @ 8ohms anyway and the cab will handle that.

Edit - I'm only 30 mins up the M61 if you want to try mine or you can hear / try them at my band rehearsal in Chorley on a Sunday afternoon.

Edited by niceguyhomer

For me the sound of one Aguilar 112 isn't half of a pair. I think you need 2 to get the best out of these great sounding cabs. The GS112 mid scoop thing didn't bother me and I didn't even notice it! The DB112's are the same speaker in a slightly larger box which is supposed to sort out the mid scoop. Aguilar cabs sound great but, in my opinion, are too heavy in comparison to the competition.

Just my opinion but, after listening to your myspace, I would suggest a Compact as a loud one cab solution and if you find you need louder then look at 2 Compacts.

Cheers for the offer Homer! If I can find a way to get to Chorley, I may well take you up on having a lil listen :)

Chris - much appreciated that you took the time to listen :rolleyes: I have been fighting to get our guitarist to tone down a little bit! I don't really want us to sound anywhere near has heavy as we do, but I will defo look into the Compacts. Not a cab I know a great deal about!

I'm a huge fan of the GS112 cabs.
I've just got the one and a LittleMark 250, the weedy cousin of the LittleMark, and I've used this combination, just like homer, for gigs of up to about 100 folks.
Anything bigger, there's usually always a PA, so in that case I only use it for stage monitoring.

To me the GS cabs are perfect, as it's been said before, light enough to carry in one hand but solid enough to have every confidence in them.
There is a little bit of a mid scoop, which in my experience becomes more pronounced at volume, with one cab anyway, but you can make adjustments for that easy enough, and in my case, my bass is very very mid heavy anyway :)
To my ear, they're quite an aggressive sounding cab, could be my bass and my ham-fisted playing though.
The speaker handles everything I've thrown at it with my 6 string Shuker and it replicates everything very evenly across the whole range.
The off axis response isn't too bad either, at least compared to a lot of other setups I've used.
It's also great for a mobile/practice set up.

All in, it's an amazing little cab.
I had been itching to change recently, but I've thankfully fallen in love with it all over again before doing anything silly.
It'll be the amp that'll be changing, and I'll be adding a second GS112...

Can't recommend 'em enough matey :rolleyes:
Eude

[quote name='Veils' post='674158' date='Dec 4 2009, 01:45 PM']This is gooooooood :) I think theres a good chance I will be ordering should I find a way to visit Mr Homer or somewhere that stocks them!

Eude, what circuit is in your bass?[/quote]

It's the Shuker 3 band effort, 18V with internal gain and mid pot.
It was his standard one from 2007, possibly the mk2 or mk3 version, I think.
I know he's on to mk4 now though...

I know you'll like the GS cabs mate, but best to try them first, to be safe.
You'll fall in love with Homer's Aguilar head too by the way, it's incredible!

Cheers,
Eude

Sweet, you are more than likely on the same circuit as me then so I would guess we have reasonably similar sounding basses! However, the last thing I need is to be playing an expensive head I'll like too much :) I'm supposed to be moving into a new apartment in between xmas and new year!!!

Dont spose you would happen to have any recordings of your bass through these cabs?

[quote name='Veils' post='673954' date='Dec 4 2009, 09:55 AM']I'm thinking of going down the small rig route. Probably a LMKII and 2 GS112's, but I have read fairly mixed reviews of the GS112 so far. Obviously playing with any reasonable volume through one cab is risking some kind of compromise in sound, but am I right in assuming that 2 of them should be able to cope nicely (with say for example a LMKII)? Bear in mind I play half a step down so will be throwing in the odd low Bb.........

Just looking for the thoughts of anyone who owns or has owned these cabs. And does anyone know of anywhere near Manchester that stocks them??

Thanks![/quote]

I use 2 agi's with an F1 head and this sounds unreal. They are the best small cab out there. This is due to the dept of these cabs. they provide great low end. Definately the best 112 out there and two of them will give you more then enough volume for most club gigs.

I love mine to bits. I use a single GS112 and an LMII and I feel it makes for a very articulate mini-rig. I don't play tunings lower than standard 4 string, so can't comment on its note holding ability on a 5er (I tune mine EADGC...). I would definately like to add another though as the volume of one just doesn't cut it for gig's without a strong PA you can run through.

[quote name='Veils' post='674292' date='Dec 4 2009, 04:25 PM']Sweet, you are more than likely on the same circuit as me then so I would guess we have reasonably similar sounding basses! However, the last thing I need is to be playing an expensive head I'll like too much :rolleyes: I'm supposed to be moving into a new apartment in between xmas and new year!!!

Dont spose you would happen to have any recordings of your bass through these cabs?[/quote]

Hey man,
sorry, not got any recordings :)

Eude

I just had my first weekend of gigging with two of these little wonders.
They are very compact and I really notice the extra space they don't use on stage and in the van!
Mine are both loaded with eminance deltalight 2 speakers.
Not sure if thats the reason they don't sound as mid scooped as everyone else describes here..... compared to the stock speaker, it's a worthwhile upgrade. It just seems faster and more articulate, and even more transparent!
Plus I think it saves about 8 pounds weight per cab.... which makes them silly light!
With my LM2, I can't imagine needing more volume, unless your playing to hundreds of people with no P.A. support.
For weddings, most corporate stuff etc there is tons of volume, even without a P.A.
I don't miss the bigger cabs at all.

[quote name='paulie' post='674734' date='Dec 5 2009, 09:00 AM']They are the best small cab out there. This is due to the dept of these cabs. they provide great low end. Definately the best 112 out there and two of them will give you more then enough volume for most club gigs.[/quote]

+1

I'm putting a Gallien Krueger 1001RB through 2 GS112's at the moment... Was a bit worried prior to getting the GK head, if the cabs could take it... so I emailed Aguilar, this is their reply... [i](found it!) [/i]

"You would be fine with either GK head. Two GS 112's would handle 600 watts RMS and can typically handle spikes that are double that amount.
The 700W model is mostly to give you extra headroom so if you use common sense about the amount of power that you need, you should be fine with this head and your two GS 112's."

I'm loving them, I like the slight mid scoop & they have a warm 'darkness' about them that I couldn't find in other small cabs I tried....

Prefered them mucho to the Bergantino AE112's I had before

I had a GS112 - LOVED it. Then had the chance to grab a Bergantino AE112 & AM SOLD on that now. I like it FAR more & altho I aint got 2 of, apparently-like two GS112's - two AE112's is killer also. I thought then GS112 was a great li'l cab myself. I couldn't imagine it being able to handle a loud drummer by itself tho-(My view) But .... I DID ttry the GS112 AND the berg AE112 together. GOOD, but the Berg is a bit more sensitive & thus louder & the 2 didn't match up that well. so Bye bye GS112. I LOVE 15"s & managed to find a Mark Bass HR151 to go with the AE112- a great match.
If I was in the UK- I'd go the BAREFACED route myself!!!!!! They look & sound like they'd be GREAT!

At the recent McBash in Moffat, we were A/Bing different cabs and heads - there was a load of different stuff including Markbass, EA, TC Electronics and a Barefaced Compact. I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but at the end of the day, everyone was blown away with my rig (AG500 + one GS112). That said, each to his own but the GS112 is an amazing cab especially with the right head.