Why become a member? ×

Stingray G string doesn't quite ring..?

Jigster

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='671718' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:29 PM']I haven't noticed that problem on either of my Stingrays, either. When did they stop having the varied height raised pole pieces, btw? My 2000 piezo Ray has these and it seems to have a much broader spectrum of sound from the single humbucker than the flush pole pieces ones I've played.[/quote]
They changed to this when they introduced the dual pickup models. There shouldn't be any difference in tone - only less cuts on your fingers and less annoying pops when the strings touch the excessively long pole pieces.

A StingRay will not have this problem if it is set up to EB factory specs. Another problem is that people tend to cut mids - and that will not help.

There's plenty of threads about this on the EB forum, and they all get pissed off as it is an easliy solved problem that crops up very often.

Due to the nature of the build and electronics of the stingray, you must abide by a simple set of guidlines...it's not a problem on mine so I don't know exactly what those uidlines are though....

[quote name='Duarte' post='671731' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:49 PM']They changed to this when they introduced the dual pickup models. There shouldn't be any difference in tone - only less cuts on your fingers and less annoying pops when the strings touch the excessively long pole pieces.

A StingRay will not have this problem if it is set up to EB factory specs. Another problem is that people tend to cut mids - and that will not help.

There's plenty of threads about this on the EB forum, and they all get pissed off as it is an easliy solved problem that crops up very often.

Due to the nature of the build and electronics of the stingray, you must abide by a simple set of guidlines...it's not a problem on mine so I don't know exactly what those uidlines are though....[/quote]
'05 then i think, my '03 SUB had the staggered pole pieces but my '08 doesn't.

As a lot of people have said on EB forum though, either your pickup isn't raised in the right place, you need new strings, your technique is dodgy or you're EQing wrong. You cut/boost the wrong frequencies and you'll lose the G string on any bass.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='671777' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:23 AM']As a lot of people have said on EB forum though, either your pickup isn't raised in the right place, you need new strings, your technique is dodgy or you're EQing wrong. You cut/boost the wrong frequencies and you'll lose the G string on any bass.[/quote]
+1 to all the above.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='671777' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:23 AM']You cut/boost the wrong frequencies and you'll lose the G string on any bass.[/quote]

Not sure I agree BB, or at least I agree but still believe that it's more of a problem on 'rays than other basses. I've owned active basses by Fender (Jazzes and Precisions), Modulus, Status and Musicman (both pre and post EB), and many of the MM's have had this problem whilst I don't feel it was an issue on the others, or at least, not to the same degree. The fact that it features on so many forums - even if it can be resolved through some tweaking - indicates that it is a recognised issue with 'rays. Personally I found the problem was best resolved with a slightly heavier set of strings and a slightly modified playing style.

C

i have a ray bought new a few years ago so prob a 2005/6 was perfect off the wall of the shop-never any isues at all with fit finish action or output. its as fat at the nut as my p but seems so playable and fast. never heard of this g prob till now but would still reccommend these basses to anyone-they ooze cool!

Personally I would take with a huge pinch of salt anything that appeared on the EB forum. As they say themselves you are not allowed to be critical of their products on their forum paid by them. As much as a hint of criticism and all the fanboys jump on you and remind you that Sterling Ball is god and that no bad bass ever left the factory and that all other basses by other manufacturers should be used for firewood.

I had a very nice Stingray but it, as most of them seem to be, was bedevilled by the G problem. No matter how much setting up (by professionals) I was never able to adequately get the G sounding as I wanted it. However, my Musicman SUB gave me no such problem. I'll let you work out which one was sold and which one stayed.

[quote name='Hutton' post='672115' date='Dec 2 2009, 02:26 PM']Personally I would take with a huge pinch of salt anything that appeared on the EB forum. As they say themselves you are not allowed to be critical of their products on their forum paid by them. As much as a hint of criticism and all the fanboys jump on you and remind you that Sterling Ball is god and that no bad bass ever left the factory and that all other basses by other manufacturers should be used for firewood.

I had a very nice Stingray but it, as most of them seem to be, was bedevilled by the G problem. No matter how much setting up (by professionals) I was never able to adequately get the G sounding as I wanted it. However, my Musicman SUB gave me no such problem. I'll let you work out which one was sold and which one stayed.[/quote]

MB1. :)
I gather you kept the sandwich?....Hot! Hot!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='671718' date='Dec 2 2009, 12:29 AM']I haven't noticed that problem on either of my Stingrays, either. When did they stop having the varied height raised pole pieces, btw? My 2000 piezo Ray has these and it seems to have a much broader spectrum of sound from the single humbucker than the flush pole pieces ones I've played.[/quote]

i just bought a brand new 2eq 'ray & that has got varied height pole pieces & it sounds oh so sweet.

it had a quiet G string too but was very easy to fix by adjusting the pickup height,don't raise it on the G string side as this doesn't seem to make much difference-lower it on the E string side-worked a treat on mine anyway.

Edited by artisan

I do miss my ''Ray - it was my 'record company advance' bass from 1994 and had a gorgeous, flamey birdseye, maple neck with a black body. I sold it to a very nice man through the old site who must be among the Ray heads here. Anyone here have it? We did the deal near Royal Oak tube/Paddington in 2005.

Here it is complete with mutes!

[attachment=37542:Raybodyfront.jpg]

I do remember tweaking the pickup height to boost the G string. I also cut a load of tracks using it and it sounded killer, especially through my SVT :)

In fact I've come over all nostalgic - I'm of a mind to post this pic in its own thread...would be nice to find out who's got it and whether they want to sell it back :rolleyes:

Nick

Edited by Cairobill