Why become a member? ×

Straps n locks

Musicman20

Ok, there about 5000 threads on straps but I thought I'd ask my own questions.

I use Fender/EB straps, and they seem to do the job. I don't use straplocks really, I use the rubber rings method because they seem to work, and they don't make a noise.

Are there any you can buy that don't involve screwing new pins in?

Also, what is the overall view as some of the very best current straps? I see the comfort strapps seem popular, do they ever snap? How about the mono straps?

Ive got a "planetwaves" strap that has straplocks on it, rubber on the back of it so it doesnt make a sound when fitted & fits over existing strap buttons, ive had it a couple of years now an its been great to me , fits my stingray nicely.
sorry dont have a link to them but shouldnt be hard to find on google.

I don't claim to be an expert here, but I recall somebody here had a Comfort Strapp of some sort break-it had a plastic buckle that snapped. I have a feeling it wasn't one of the 'proper' Comfort Strapps, but one made by somebody else. Personally I hate the look of them, with those bare neoprene pads.
I won't use a strap with any kind of buckle, especially plastic-I prefer the all-leather ones. I've recently been converted to the Grolsch washer system-my Shuker JJ came with standard strap buttons, and having spent ages in recent years trying to keep Schaller straplock buttons from coming unscrewed, I decided to stick with the Grolsch washers-even when Jon Shuker offered to send me a set of Schallers for free! So far I've been very pleased. Our drummer found me a nice blue washer from a bottle of water the other day-wish I knew which brand of water, he only could only get me one (from a posh hotel). It's a bit less obtrusive than the red ones.

Just to re-enforce the need for decent straplocking of some form or another:

My lad (drummer) was playing a gig on Friday night and the guitarist in another band was going to play his 'new' vintage Gibson out for the first time.
He was showing it to some mates before hand - strap slipped off and voila - a headless Gibson. Apparently it was about 30 seconds before anyone dared speak.

[quote name='Paul S' post='668911' date='Nov 29 2009, 08:42 AM']Danny - is that the standard guitar version or do they do a bass one, too? Looks like an elegant solution, I must say.[/quote]

Not to sure if there is a thicker version but can imagen that there is, i got given this strap a few years ago an it suits me perfect, but be worth having a look on a planetwaves site for alternatives.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='668972' date='Nov 29 2009, 11:05 AM']I don't claim to be an expert here, but I recall somebody here had a Comfort Strapp of some sort break-it had a plastic buckle that snapped. I have a feeling it wasn't one of the 'proper' Comfort Strapps, but one made by somebody else. Personally I hate the look of them, with those bare neoprene pads.
I won't use a strap with any kind of buckle, especially plastic-I prefer the all-leather ones. I've recently been converted to the Grolsch washer system-my Shuker JJ came with standard strap buttons, and having spent ages in recent years trying to keep Schaller straplock buttons from coming unscrewed, I decided to stick with the Grolsch washers-even when Jon Shuker offered to send me a set of Schallers for free! So far I've been very pleased. Our drummer found me a nice blue washer from a bottle of water the other day-wish I knew which brand of water, he only could only get me one (from a posh hotel). It's a bit less obtrusive than the red ones.[/quote]

And with the bottle washer, "dunlop" do a simular kind of thing, like a twist&lock function an can get them from most music shops for less than £2 each , (fit over standard strap buttons etc).

the dunlop ones i mentioned work the same as the bottle washer (twist it on an twist it off) (just a posh version of washer i guess) have a look for em next time you in a music shop, most places stock them ive got a couple kicking about somware just not needed them since got planetwaves strap

[quote name='danny-79' post='669206' date='Nov 29 2009, 04:26 PM']the dunlop ones i mentioned work the same as the bottle washer (twist it on an twist it off) (just a posh version of washer i guess) have a look for em next time you in a music shop, most places stock them ive got a couple kicking about somware just not needed them since got planetwaves strap[/quote]

Thanks will do!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='681762' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:15 PM']I too use rubber rings (Grolsch bottle tops) and I think they are as reliable as anything. I've not had an accident in 15yrs of use.[/quote]

Im still liking them.

Its not that Im tight..far from it....but I like the fact they dont squeak. They also involve no mods, and basically look fairly decent.

Im still mulling over just getting a posh strap.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='681774' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:29 PM']Im still liking them.

Its not that Im tight..far from it....but I like the fact they dont squeak. They also involve no mods, and basically look fairly decent.

Im still mulling over just getting a posh strap.[/quote]

Posh strap?! Do it! I have a bit of a strap fetish... Moody's, Harvest, Brookwood, Richter... do it! Of course, if leather isn't your thing, there's always Comfort Strapp and Mono... There's more to luxury straps than Levy's!

Anyway, anybody wondering about Schaller straplocks and their reported problems, I have written this little guide...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70420"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70420[/url]

[quote name='guyl' post='682024' date='Dec 12 2009, 10:56 AM']Can anyone here recommend the Mono?

Like others have reported, the Comfort Strapp "bounce" is too much for me. Does Mono suffer the same problem?[/quote]

Mono strapps are nice but they were too long for me and didn't sit right... but then again, I am more of a Comfort Strapp fan.

[quote name='al embic' post='682033' date='Dec 12 2009, 11:07 AM']i got one of the harvest straps from bernie(gb guitars) at bassday this year...bloomin well chuffed with it....never imagined a strap could make such a difference and the craftsmanship on it is superb...my shaller straplocks have done the job for the last 10 years no worries.[/quote]

That's Germany for you... and for the price (not ridiculous), they certainly put Levy's in their place. Which one did you get? I dig the black soft nappa - so smoooooth and luxurious - and with just the right amount of padding. The marble and crackle finishes are top too!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='682045' date='Dec 12 2009, 11:27 AM']That's Germany for you... and for the price (not ridiculous), they certainly put Levy's in their place. Which one did you get? I dig the black soft nappa - so smoooooth and luxurious - and with just the right amount of padding. The marble and crackle finishes are top too![/quote]

i was pleasantly suprised by the price.i got a realy soft dark kinda antique looking one.agreed the padding is subtle but just right.my spitfire seems weightless now!...it lives in the case with the bass,love the smell of leather when i open the case...
just gotta get the matching gig bag now..lol....

Edited by al embic

[quote name='al embic' post='682226' date='Dec 12 2009, 03:15 PM']i was pleasantly suprised by the price.i got a realy soft dark kinda antique looking one.agreed the padding is subtle but just right.my spitfire seems weightless now!...it lives in the case with the bass,love the smell of leather when i open the case...
just gotta get the matching gig bag now..lol....[/quote]

Sounds like the marble one. Did you see the crackle finish? With the right bass, that would be well smart.

i have been using an EB cheapy strap for 15 years on loads of basses
recently it got away from me on a sale but has returned thanks to bill...

i have also got a planetwaves type slim strap similar to the EB but it goes over the normal strap buttons with those clasp ends they do..just as cool as straplocks

My vote goes for Comfort Strap and Schallers. Best strap I have ever had, so comfortable and just a pleasure to wear (doesnt fold up into my case though which is a pain). Never had issues with bouncing though. It does extend a slight bit if i jump up and down and dont hold my bass but i dont make a habit of doing that.

I dont get why so many people have problems with schallers, I have never had to mod any holes on any of the 5 basses I have put them on, the nut/washer has never come unscrewed (to be fair I do use a ratched set to get them so tight) and I have never had to puncture holes in my straps. Been using them for about 10 years never had a problem (bet they fall of next practice now :) )

[quote name='NJE' post='686332' date='Dec 16 2009, 02:03 PM']My vote goes for Comfort Strap and Schallers. Best strap I have ever had, so comfortable and just a pleasure to wear (doesnt fold up into my case though which is a pain). Never had issues with bouncing though. It does extend a slight bit if i jump up and down and dont hold my bass but i dont make a habit of doing that.

I dont get why so many people have problems with schallers, I have never had to mod any holes on any of the 5 basses I have put them on, the nut/washer has never come unscrewed (to be fair I do use a ratched set to get them so tight) and I have never had to puncture holes in my straps. Been using them for about 10 years never had a problem (bet they fall of next practice now :) )[/quote]

The comfort strapp will be OK because it is very thin leather at the ends. You try is with a beefy strap and report back! And yeah, I like comfort strapps... any body who has done a prostitue gig standing up for 3 hours solid will be able to agree!

I know, it's a very odd thing, Schallers to me, are great. I don't understand why so many people have problems with them either?!