Why become a member? ×

Corporate gigs

niceguyhomer

Hmmm. I guess I'm a professional blues musician, someone who listens to a lot of original blues artists, and someone who performs mainly privately (apart from the busking). I'd have to chip in and say that there's blues and there's [i]blues[/i]. Mostly the British blues scene is full of the rock-oriented electric stuff, which is what the majority of festival-going blues fans seem to go for, but which is also exactly what people who say they don't like blues are thinking of.

Clearly the OP's band is in this category, so I think he's right to be concerned, but Mr Skank has already posted some excellent advice which I'd say is spot-on, and I particularly like this bit of his summary:

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='667469' date='Nov 27 2009, 03:30 PM']...And remember, the early bluesmen all cut their teeth in Juke-Joints and house-parties. You're just following in a long tradition of blues as crowd-pleasing dance music...[/quote]

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with blues as a genre or blues bands that makes it unsuitable for private functions: I'm doing it all the time, but not electric blues-rock - we play all sorts of stuff from Delta and Chicago Blues, New Orleans street grooves, Rhythm & Blues, Jump Blues, Country Blues, Boogie, Ragtime, Hokum and mix it up with some Soul, Rockabilly and Jazz. It's a perfect genre for a party. And because our performance is honed out on the street in front of a random assortment of ordinary folk going about their business, we know damn well it works.

Hi Al

Having seen you at Colne you'll do great!

Good to hear that bookings are flooding in for you - I'm having trouble getting The Welsh T Band's diary started for next year in any meaningful way - which is a shame as it's our 10th anniversary year! Mind you we're never going to be offered any corporate stuff either!

Have fun

Dave

Could be worse – I play in what is basically a very loud heavy rock covers band (with a bit of nonsense thrown in) and we were asked to play at quite a large corporate gig. We tried explaining that we were the wrong type of band but they said that they wanted something different and offered us a fair amount of money, so we did it. After we won them over (by getting a few of the audience up to jam Hendrix tunes, etc) we ended up storming it and getting booked for several more!

As a result we got to play a few interesting gigs (including the Café Royale, the Hilton and the Belfry among others), had a few good nights and made a few quid

I would just go for it and let then worry about it not working out. If it goes well you’ve had a good night / been paid more than normal and if it doesn’t, you haven’t lost anything and it’s their fault for booking the wrong band!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='674288' date='Dec 4 2009, 04:24 PM']Thanks Dave :) but to be honest I'm dreading it. We did a gig last night in a trendy cocktail establishment in Manchester and we played really well but the audience didn't get it at all.[/quote]

Damn, I was in Manchester on Thursday night Al. Would have come and seen you if i'd known. Where were you at?

• 2 weeks later...

Well - been and gone and done it. It was a really nice venue right on the canal in city centre Manchester and the function was a law firm's Christmas party. I wasn't looking forward to this one at all and arrived in an appaulingly bad mood - the drive into Manchester was tortuous thanks to Madness being on at the MEN Arena and Christmas shoppers and there was nowhere to park at the venue.

Also, the harp player rang to say he was running very late cos he'd lost his keys and couldn't get to his gear so there would be no time for a soundcheck :lol: . We were asked to go on a bit earlier than anticipated so there was no set list prepared so the harp player made a few notes on a beer mat (no kidding). We started the first number - while they were still eating, and it took me at least 3 bars to figure out what key we were playing in.

Despite all the embarrassing moments and lack of professionalism, we went down well in the first set :)

Second set went well too but by now, approximately half the people had left or gone into another room so we were kind of playing for ourselves. Then, with about 3 songs to go, a load of people suddenly appeared from nowhere and started dancing and surprise surprise, a party had broken out.

We finished to rapturous applause :rolleyes: and left the stage only to be dragged back in to do a couple more songs as an encore and they were loving it. We finished the encore and were powering down when, out of the corner of my eye I saw the organiser walking towards us with money in his hand and thought "here we go, he's paying us off" but no, it was another £150 to keep going.

So, I was wrong - we didn't go down like whaleshit. It ended up being a good night and we were paid a fairly obscene amount of money for a down and dirty blues band.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='687039' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:25 AM']Well - been and gone and done it. It was a really nice venue right on the canal in city centre Manchester and the function was a law firm's Christmas party. I wasn't looking forward to this one at all and arrived in an appaulingly bad mood - the drive into Manchester was tortuous thanks to Madness being on at the MEN Arena and Christmas shoppers and there was nowhere to park at the venue.

Also, the harp player rang to say he was running very late cos he'd lost his keys and couldn't get to his gear so there would be no time for a soundcheck :lol: . We were asked to go on a bit earlier than anticipated so there was no set list prepared so the harp player made a few notes on a beer mat (no kidding). We started the first number - while they were still eating, and it took me at least 3 bars to figure out what key we were playing in.

Despite all the embarrassing moments and lack of professionalism, we went down well in the first set :)

Second set went well too but by now, approximately half the people had left or gone into another room so we were kind of playing for ourselves. Then, with about 3 songs to go, a load of people suddenly appeared from nowhere and started dancing and surprise surprise, a party had broken out.

We finished to rapturous applause :rolleyes: and left the stage only to be dragged back in to do a couple more songs as an encore and they were loving it. We finished the encore and were powering down when, out of the corner of my eye I saw the organiser walking towards us with money in his hand and thought "here we go, he's paying us off" but no, it was another £150 to keep going.

So, I was wrong - we didn't go down like whaleshit. It ended up being a good night and we were paid a fairly obscene amount of money for a down and dirty blues band.[/quote]

Good for you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='687039' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:25 AM']....out of the corner of my eye I saw the organiser walking towards us with money in his hand and thought "here we go, he's paying us off" but no, it was another £150 to keep going....[/quote]
Nice one.