Why become a member? ×

Epi Thunderbird views?

0175westwood29

Lots of previous threads on this if you do a search. Basically, no, it's not a Gibson in terms of quality, but pound for pound they're great basses, and I'm yet to come across a bad one.

I had a white one to use in a classic rock band, expecting to have to upgrade it I was shocked to realize it didn't need upgrading at all. The pickups are beefy, the neck was really nice, and as long as you can live with the neck dive, with an Epiphone Thunderbird, you've got a brilliant bass.

I'd always hesitate to tell someone to get a bass without trying it first, but a TB is as good a punt as any if that's what you're going to do.

Some will argue the Tokai glued neck versions are better, I personally don't think there's much difference.

Epi TBs are great basses.

As someone who owns both (Gibson and Epiphone), they are both great.
There are obvious differences between the two but the epiphone is still a great bass.
Not crazy about the pickups (find the open E very muddy and lightweight sounding), but otherwise great.
Have tried the Tokai offering, which is also great, but I went with the epi in the end.
Moving the strap pin will be a must imo, but other than that, no complaints.
definately try one out first though-same as any bass!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='663204' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:37 PM']I've owned a couple (white and sunburst) and played a few - they are amazing value for what you pay for. The neckdive didn't bother me but as Jean Luc Pickguard says, an easy fix. I would always recommend one to anyone curious over trying one.[/quote]

thanks man!

i think im gonna have to try one!

im liking the look of the gothic all black one! i'd be using it in a few live songs and would possilbly change a pickup or both on it. but love the look! and ive also heard the neck dive thing is fixable so im not to bothered by it.

im thinking the pro maybe the way to go, but i do like bolt on necks! so may try out the norm epi bird first, the 5ers any good?

also can you fit a ba bridge on a bird?

andy

Ephiphone and Tokai both do Thunderbird copies. They're OK - not great to be honest. I've owned both. If you're hoping for anything other that looking liking a Thunderbird, then you'll need to go down the road of Orville and Greco copies (which are superb basses and much closer to the original that Epiphone of Tokai have ever done). The sound is very very close to an original Gibson. The Greco has a slightly wider neck which is good for headstock strength as Gibson Thunderbirds are notorious for breaking. If you want a virtually identical copy of a Gibson then go for the Orville. They are almost identical as they are made under license in Japan.

If you like the look of a T bird then a bit of neck dive is a character trait , not a design flaw.
I got back into bass after a long abscence when I found a second hand T bird. The neck was curved big time but tweek of the truss rod and it's superb.
The string spacing at the bridge (outside of E string to outside of G) is 55mm, so I doubt that there are many replacement bridges that would fit ( P bass is about 62mm?) This gives an almost paralel feel to the strings on the neck that I like a lot.
I prefer a passive two soap bar set up but I'd have an active Tbird pro if you forced me.
I like the Epi so much that I'd buy an Epi pro or Gibson without trying it (if I had the money and a good excuse to spend it)

[quote name='Killstarz' post='663679' date='Nov 24 2009, 01:14 PM']I found replacement pickups impossible to find when i had one...that is why i got rid of it.

Lovely bass though.[/quote]
Is that really an issue? Unless you do some serious damage to the bass, the pick ups will last for ..? (I've never had a pick up die on me in 20 years)
It's a £200 bass, by the time anything dies of natural causes the whole thing is likely to be giving up the ghost and you'll have probably moved onto an even more gorgeous bass.
Generic soap bar pick ups are available (not easy to find , but they exist)

I stuck EMG35's in my Epi gothic T-Bird and gave it a good setup and fret dress and it plays and sounds incredible for the money.
I said a few months back that the Tokai ones are horrid, but I subsequently found out the neck width on the "classic" and "gothic" Epis are different, and thats why the Tokai felt so wide and cumbersome, more like a P-Bass. The Gothic version has a slimmer neck and nut width, thats the one for playability and fretboard athletics. If you just want a classic one and don't care about the nut width, I'd probably stick my neck out now and say grab the Tokai, as they are in much greater supply than the Orvilles, have proper neck joints (not bolts) and the build quality is pretty good for the 250 quid you can get them for if you shop around. I want to get my hands on the T-bird Pro soon so I can A/B it with the Tokai and Gothic.
I'm sorely tempted to replace the bridge on the Epi with a more chunky Badass type thing (with narrow spacing of course), as its quite flimsy, and I want to mod this bass to a through-body string retainer to beef up the sustain and tension slightly. Depends how the band goes I spose, I wouldn't play this thing recreationally, but its a great lookin metal bass for stage and photos :)

Edited by robocorpse

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='663814' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:48 PM']Is that really an issue? Unless you do some serious damage to the bass, the pick ups will last for ..? (I've never had a pick up die on me in 20 years)
It's a £200 bass, by the time anything dies of natural causes the whole thing is likely to be giving up the ghost and you'll have probably moved onto an even more gorgeous bass.
Generic soap bar pick ups are available (not easy to find , but they exist)[/quote]
It was for me. i found that when i played it through an overdrive pedal i got a lot of unwanted feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I played a friends one for a little while in band practise the other day, when everyone wasnt playing it sounded grand, not really my thing but it could pass. But when everyone else started playing all i heard was a thud thud thud, it was much more percussive then any real notes. I wouldnt buy one myself, my jazz beat it easily. If youre not playing with a band or jamming or anything fine but otherwise, its just a muddy instrument that blends in. IMO of course.

[quote name='spacebeer' post='678232' date='Dec 8 2009, 05:52 PM']There is a huge difference between the Epi and the real deal, however the Epi is still cool[/quote]

Which Epi? If you mean the bog standard ~£200 one that's very true (still a nice bass though). The Pro version barring the laminate neck, proper bridge and active pups/eq shares the exact same dimensions and neck through properties that the current Gibbo does. It's much closer to it and actually a completementary instrument rather than a budget version due to it's differences. It's on my GAS list.

Need to sell my Friday afternoon special first. Poo.

I bought the Pro on pure looks alone but I have really gotten into it. I also have an Ibanez SRX300 and a Squire CV 60's P Bass and neither are getting a look in now that I have had the strap button moved. Its dead easy to play and it just looks the business on stage or just sat at home, couldn't be more happy with it!

[quote name='bassix' post='678683' date='Dec 9 2009, 12:15 AM']I bought the Pro on pure looks alone but I have really gotten into it. I also have an Ibanez SRX300 and a Squire CV 60's P Bass and neither are getting a look in now that I have had the strap button moved. Its dead easy to play and it just looks the business on stage or just sat at home, couldn't be more happy with it![/quote]

did you move it to behind the body where the neck joins?

[quote name='spacebeer' post='678232' date='Dec 8 2009, 05:52 PM']There is a huge difference between the Epi and the real deal[/quote]

Not sure I agree... I've had both and to be honest the Gibson wasn't worth the extra money. The White Epi I had was a far nicer bass to play, better looking bass than the Gibson was, and in terms of tone, I preferred the Epiphone too. I used it for a year or so in a UFO tribute band and had nothing but praise heaped on it during that time, and in fact when I saw Pete Way with UFO using an Epiphone too, it just confirmed to me how good they are (or how skint he is :) ).

I've said it in the past, if I was in the market for a Thunderbird, I'd be looking for a nice Epiphone and saving the extra £800 I'd need for the Gibson and buying a nice used Stingray with it instead.

Nothing wrong with a nice Gibson of course, I just believe a good Epi is a great bass regardless of price, and certainly shouldn't need any upgrades at all, not in my experience anyway.

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='680400' date='Dec 10 2009, 04:34 PM']did you move it to behind the body where the neck joins?[/quote]

Yup, I spoke to a guy local to me who sorted it out and with a thick strap added it has completely resolved the problem. I was a little worried as it was though body but doesn't seem to have made any difference, it was difficult watching it being drilled into though!