Why become a member? ×

Set up for slap...?

The Burpster

Err folks..... I have a confession.

I have been completely overcome by MK fever...! I cannot get Lessons in Love out of my head and am now desperately practicing it.

Now being an out and out fingerstlye blues and rock player, this has pushed me a bit left of field....

So those of you that slap a lot is there a 'Proper" set up for slap.... Lets put it this way, having a really low ction and flats is not exactly working sound wise.

Clearly roundwounds wil make a lot of difference, but is there any tips action wise? I'm currently having to slap over the 20th fret to get anything like a 1/2 decent sound......

Bit of help for a sad old git please....? :)

I've always felt really low action sucks the bite out of slap. When I got back into slap, I raised the action on my Geddy a touch and it dramatically helped the tone. IMO if you're really digging in or slapping you don't super low action, gives the strings a little bit more room to move.

Also a preamp/modelling unit might help. My Geddy is very very mid heavy, especially since I put Dimarzio Ultra J's in it. This is great for aggressive rock but sucks for slap, but since I bought my Tech21 VT Bass I can boost the lows and highs and it really kills for slap now!

PJ

Edited by Pearl_Jammin

I think it depends on the slapping technique, really, as well as the genre of music.

I'd say that for heavy, dumb rock slap where you're really going for that big clank clank sound, you'll probably want a middling action, whereas for quicker, more "refined" stuff like jazz-funk you can probably get away with a lower action (which will also help with faster left-hand stuff anyway, complex slap patterns are hard enough without having to put entra strength into fretting everything so it doesn't buzz out).

Technique-wise, as others have said, you'll need to scoop the mids out a bit, crucially because slapping sounds better towards the middle of the string and it can get muddy up there, but accordingly you can get lots of tonal variation if you move your hand back towards the bridge.

I guess it'll also depend on how much stuff you have under your strings. My bassist a couple of bands ago wanted to learn how to slap and pop but found it really difficult because he had two great big soapbars, and the neck one was right under where he would have scooped the strings for a pop, so he had to move his hand back and couldn't get a comfortable thumb angle.

Personally I prefer passive J-type pickups for a slap sound, because they're not as in-your-face as actives or humbuckers, but that's just me.

Its down to the way you slap.

If you are all about the Flea level of slap intensity then you would probably need a slightly higher action (assuming you have a low action now), if you are after slapping like Alain Caron (sp?) then as low as you like will be fine.

On the other hand if you play like Ped the strings can be resting a hairs breadth from the frets at all times (I've never seen anyone play that gently when slapping before, the guy's a complete freak :))

[quote name='51m0n' post='662057' date='Nov 22 2009, 07:34 PM']On the other hand if you play like Ped the strings can be resting a hairs breadth from the frets at all times (I've never seen anyone play that gently when slapping before, the guy's a complete freak :))[/quote]

LOL I just saw that!! Cheers, I think!! Wasting good energy just isn't my style ;0)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='661575' date='Nov 22 2009, 09:40 AM']Err folks..... I have a confession.

I have been completely overcome by MK fever...! I cannot get Lessons in Love out of my head and am now desperately practicing it.

Now being an out and out fingerstlye blues and rock player, this has pushed me a bit left of field....

So those of you that slap a lot is there a 'Proper" set up for slap.... Lets put it this way, having a really low ction and flats is not exactly working sound wise.

Clearly roundwounds wil make a lot of difference, but is there any tips action wise? I'm currently having to slap over the 20th fret to get anything like a 1/2 decent sound......

Bit of help for a sad old git please....? :)[/quote]

MK has his basses set up with a low action & tends to use either a 30-90 or 35-95 set of strings. If you watch a lot of L42 live videos, he likes to bend strings occasionally (not much chance of being able to do that with a regular set of Rotosound 45-105's, unless you're built like Arnie!!!).

Alain Caron is also bit of a slap monster - check out some of his stuff on YouTube on his 6 string F Bass.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

depends what slap technique you pick up.. but assuming you will be cloning MK... then light and low.
Also, consider that MK had a bit of help from sequences IMV, so his thump and light pop worked well...

He also cultivated a very heavy dependance on left hand pats, so you will probably have to nick his technique pretty closely and cleanly to pull it off.
If you consider 3 mainstream styles..
MK, Marcus Miller and say, Flea....you'll find some styles just don't equate to the other players riffs at all...

There is no one way to slap, IMV...so if it has to be MK, then LH slap triplets is your key... sort of !!!! :)

As far as Lessons in Love is concerned, it is all RH thumb bounce..and you'll need a heavier sound across the strings that MK is normally associated with...

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='The Burpster' post='661886' date='Nov 22 2009, 04:14 PM']There seems to be 2 schools of thought here, one for low action and one for setting it higher.

Is it dependant on the bass/string set up? or is this a generic stance?[/quote]

The first question i asked when i started going to lessons was "how should i set up my bass for slap". My tutors reply was "how do you want to set up your bass"
i think what he was trying to get at is you set it up how it feels comfortable for you. There is no right or wrong way. Have a play about, try different things. Personally i dont like roundwounds for slap. Takes away some of the "zing" IMO. I have a relatively low action and use D'addario. 45-105 gauge i think. Thats what i had for the EP i recorded (website below) and it works for me. The song called Funk Shui has a slap line

[quote name='FuNkShUi' post='662648' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:40 PM']The first question i asked when i started going to lessons was "how should i set up my bass for slap". My tutors reply was "how do you want to set up your bass"
i think what he was trying to get at is you set it up how it feels comfortable for you. There is no right or wrong way. Have a play about, try different things. Personally i dont like roundwounds for slap. Takes away some of the "zing" IMO. I have a relatively low action and use D'addario. 45-105 gauge i think. Thats what i had for the EP i recorded (website below) and it works for me. The song called Funk Shui has a slap line[/quote]

Groovy tune!

[quote name='FuNkShUi' post='663417' date='Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM']cheers ped! its our drummers moment of glory cos he gets to do lead vocals on that track :)[/quote]

Yeah I really like the song, listened to it several times... I'll check out the others this eve!

ped

My hand hurts after playing Lessons in Love...but its wicked.

Just a thought...

Although the camp for super scoop for slap is significant, a little low mids will help you cut, sometimes if you have a separate signal path for slap which sounds great soloed, it'll disappear completely without any mids.

(or get a Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ, set it to 12o'clock and you're good to slap senseless)

[quote name='ped' post='664182' date='Nov 24 2009, 07:05 PM']Yeah I really like the song, listened to it several times... I'll check out the others this eve!

ped[/quote]

thats cool. When you get a chance to have a listen and let me know what you think. Any advice/help is always much appreciated as we are about to record again soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='FuNkShUi' post='664676' date='Nov 25 2009, 07:48 AM']thats cool. When you get a chance to have a listen and let me know what you think. Any advice/help is always much appreciated as we are about to record again soon :)[/quote]

I've just had a listen as well, really enjoying the songs. I've sent a friend request, hope you don't mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to echo the above - there really are many ways to slap a cat! I went through a real Level 42-clone stage back in the 1980s and although I never bought or even tried a JayDee, I was happy with my Status, apart from the lack of mid-range.

I personally never liked the light gauge strings. I tried a few sets of the "Funkmaster" set marketed by Rotosound but they were just about toneless! On the other hand, 45s or heavier strings can be a bit too taught for easy slapping... I guess as in all things, compromise is what you need. Medium or slightly-above gauges give the best of both worlds. To hear the difference that string gauge makes (as well as playing style and gear choices!) compare the sounds of MK with Marcus Miller or Flea.

The thing with MK is that he really is a one-off! Spend years trying to mimic his style and the only real use for it is to play in a L42 tribute band! There are many other slap players who are more rounded in style. Having said that, his fingerstyle playing is pretty nifty too - if a little derivative in the Stan Clarke style!

When it comes to the height of the action, just go with what feels comfortable. As with many things, I tend to go for the "brute force and ignorance" style - so a low action is no good for me or I would ruin the fretboard and get no tone at all! Players with a lighter touch (which would be just about everyone!) might well prefer a lower action...

Just brought back painful memories of Lessons in Love.... I can feel that lactic acid building up in my right forearm as we speak! Ouch! Much prefered Mr Pink for much slap-related showing off! :)

As for set-up for someone starting...

set the action up so you get a fretboard bounce off of a thumb strike and can get a sound out of a left hand pat...
That should be enough to set the type of action you will need against your natural hand attack.

Some players hit really hard and some very light..so you'll need the bass to be able to respond to your input accordingly..

heavy hand means a higher action and lighter means lower...typically, IMO.

You are generally going to want a mid scoop, but adding mids can make you stick out from the clones..
You might want to move away from alot of the slap sound cliches but that is an other issue from being able to get any sort of sound in the first place...

I use to want as low as poss for as fast as poss... but am less interested in that thing now... now'll I'll take the sound and play just the one note/fill rather than slap a whole piece.

There are VERY few guys that can make that interesting for long..

Slap for slap's sake is the equiv or a gtr tapping... FFS..!!! IMV.