Why become a member? ×

Can some one explain the whole Musicman, Stingray, Sterling thing

dave_bass5

[quote name='Linus27' post='695815' date='Dec 29 2009, 06:41 PM']Dave, you must be bonkers to want a white Stingray. I think they look yuck. Still, personal choice and all that :rolleyes: . Anyway, not sure if this intersts you as they have one in stock. As your getting a bit desperate, just better point out, it has matching white headstock in case you miss that :)

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/BassGuitars/pid16934/cid560/MusicManStingray4StringBassinWhitewithMatchingHeadstock.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/BassGuitars/pid...ngHeadstock.asp[/url]

Kingfisher Music in Fleet, Hampshire also have a a natural with maple neck in stock for £1,249. More expensive than Andertons but maybe natural is more expensive. Do none of the music shops in London have any in stock?[/quote]

Cheer Michael.
White was just an idea but i dont really like the matching headstock on a maple board. I do really like the look of the Natural with maple though, a dint expensive for me at the moment though.
It looks like my DJ5 will be going next week so i might look around for a second hand one first. Anyone here got something they want to sell ;-)

Im also looking in to a Sandberg PM4 as well but still not seen one i like.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='690664' date='Dec 21 2009, 02:37 PM']Yeah, if i could get that tone i would be very happy.
I do of course realise i wouldn't, not from my rig but yeah, its what im looking for.

Cheers.[/quote]

I reckon you could get pretty close to that tone with your rig, my SUB Ray sounds just like it should through my MB/Schro

[quote name='ezbass' post='697168' date='Dec 31 2009, 01:32 PM']I reckon you could get pretty close to that tone with your rig, my SUB Ray sounds just like it should through my MB/Schro[/quote]

Cheers. The new bass is getting closer, i just still have to figure out what its going to be.

Just a quick update.
I braved Denmark st today and went in to the Bass Celler. Actually a good experience and they had a few MM's on the wall.

The Black/Maple looked nice but was of course a bit overpriced. They had a Sterling that was only £100 more, again, in black.

I had a go on a Honeyburst (i think thats what its called) SR4 HS and this was only £1049. Ex demo. If it wasnt for the inch long scratch on the front i might have considered it.
Now, remember this is the first SR4 ive ever touched, but i was a bit disappointed. Tone wise its great (i only used the bridge pup as i dont really intend to get a HS) and i felt the neck was a bit chunky but playable. What really put me off was the terrible action. I know its only a shop model and so probably not set up but it was very difficult to play. There also seemed to be a bit too much forward bow in the neck. Im sure this could be sorted out though but im now wondering just how low an action you can get.

Am i worrying about nothing? For what its worth the action on my other Basses is around 5/64 on the E string at the 12th fret. Can someone also tell me what the string spacing is at the bridge.

This hasnt put me off, in fact its put my mind at ease as i now know how the neck feels and its ok. I might also consider a Sterling now but that would have ot be second hand.

Comments etc are welcome as always.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='699040' date='Jan 2 2010, 08:03 PM']cheers. I realised it was a pointless question after I posted it.
do you know if there are any published factory specs?[/quote]

Ive not adjusted the neck or string height on my Stingrays once since buying from new...and the Natural one is about 9 years old now. They are very easy to play....smooth, and great for getting quick with fingerstyle. Action is nice n low.

Both my fretless and fretted SR4's have the lowest action out of all my basses. The fretless is obviously the lowest without any frets to buzz against, but the action on my fretted is still stupidly low!

I believe the string spacing at the bridge to be 19mm. Hope that helps :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='699088' date='Jan 2 2010, 09:01 PM']Thanks guys.
19mm is a bit wider than im used to but im sure it will be fine.[/quote]

Not sure if this makes any difference but after 23 years of playing, I had no idea until last year that there was different string spacing on different basses. I have never noticed any difference previously especially when playing with a pick.

[quote name='Linus27' post='699570' date='Jan 3 2010, 02:30 PM']Not sure if this makes any difference but after 23 years of playing, I had no idea until last year that there was different string spacing on different basses. I have never noticed any difference previously especially when playing with a pick.[/quote]

Same here.
What made me realise there is a difference is the fact that im fine with a 5 string yet struggled with some P necks. It didnt make sense at first as the 5 string necks were always wider.
Now i know its the string spacing rather than the neck width that seems to make a bigger difference to me.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='699088' date='Jan 2 2010, 09:01 PM']Thanks guys.
19mm is a bit wider than im used to but im sure it will be fine.[/quote]

19mm is what it is on most Laklands isn't it? It is on my DJs, just measured em and the bridge is the same on all of em. The 5s are 19mm too, I'm sure, I played one the other day and it felt like a gulf of space compared to my Spector 5s.

Just checked: - it's 19.8mm on the Lakland 4s and 19.05 on the 5s, so that might just suit you, Dave. :)

Edited by Sean

[quote name='SteveK' post='693848' date='Dec 26 2009, 05:39 PM']Ordered a SR 5: Candy red (matching head), Rosewood board, black scratchplate, HH, 3 eq, piezo, a couple of months ago. Haven't seen that configuration in the flesh, but hoping it looks a sexy as in my head. Hopefully take delivery in a couple of weeks :)[/quote]

I'd like to see that. It would look even better (in my head) if the bassist had a black tuxedo with a colour co-ordinated red bow tie, black shirt (of course) and shiny black patent shoes. Oooh, suits you, sir. What? Me, dear? Gay, dear? No, dear! How very dare you :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sean' post='699903' date='Jan 3 2010, 08:03 PM']19mm is what it is on most Laklands isn't it? It is on my DJs, just measured em and the bridge is the same on all of em. The 5s are 19mm too, I'm sure, I played one the other day and it felt like a gulf of space compared to my Spector 5s.

Just checked: - it's 19.8mm on the Lakland 4s and 19.05 on the 5s, so that might just suit you, Dave. :)[/quote]

I might have measured my DJ5 wrong but I thought the string spacing was less than 19. If it's more then I guess the SR4 spacing might be ok.

To be honest I'm now looking in to a Lakland Duck Dunn instead. I've had a good hard think about this and I think Im looking for a new tone but worried about making a mistake. I've now realised I may not get on too well with the SR4. I do like the tone but I think I still need a more old school tone for some songs. I think I can get the extra tones from a outboard preamplifier, or even get one fitted to the bass.

After discovering how much variation I can get from my Behringer BD21 I think sticking to a tone that works already and experimenting more with somthing like a Tone hammer might be the way to go.
A few people have pointed out it might be a mistake to get a MM as my only bass and I think they have a point.

I'm not saying I won't get one but I'm swaying heavily towards staying with Lakland.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to pop back here and give a quick update.

I did a trade with waynepunkdude yesterday and got his Sub4.
Its a lovely bass and as it didnt cost me anything i felt it was a good introduction to the MM tone etc.

I did a 2 1/2 gig with it last night and im very impressed. I dont know how close it sounds to a SR4 (its a 2 band EQ) but it seemed to fit in well. Even the old school stuff. It sounded warm and deep, even through my Schroeder rig. Not room shaking of course but it had a depth that i wasnt expecting.
I had the bass knob all the way up though so that would help.
I kept the treble knob on about half as i was using a pick most of the night.
I dont know if the EQ is cut and boost or just boost but there did seem to be some nice variation there.

I really liked the neck as well. I think Wanye likes a high action for digging in so it was a little too high for me. I had a fiddle with it and its better but not quite as good as im expecting from my Lakland DD (on its way) but certainly playable. I may leave it like this as i noticed if i dug in i would get fret buzz and without backing the treble off a lot it would be more noticeable than on my passive basses. Still not a big deal though.

So thanks to everyone for thne replies/help. I do plan on getting a "real" MM at some point but for now im sticking with the DD and Sub.

[quote name='tombboy' post='716651' date='Jan 18 2010, 02:58 PM']There's a centre indent feel on my 'Ray. Not sure about the Subs.[/quote]

Nope, nothing on the Sub as far as i can feel.

I guess its not a big deal. You just dial in the tone to suit, doesnt really matter where the knobs are IMO.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='716693' date='Jan 18 2010, 03:50 PM']SR 2 bands do not have a centre detent, 3 bands do.

I thought you would like it. Definiotely not the one trick ponies that sometimes they are described as.

I LOVE my SR4. EVERY time it absolutely rocks. You can ALWAYS get a good tone. IMHO obviously lol[/quote]

Its certainly wetted my apatite for a active tone.

I plan on using my Duck Dunn with a BDI21 for now but i might look in to a cheap SR4 later in the year.

I did notice that with the treble up i as getting some RF noise but i cant see me ever using it with the treble too high. It seems to accentuate the fret buzz too much.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='716608' date='Jan 18 2010, 02:09 PM']I just wanted to pop back here and give a quick update.

I did a trade with waynepunkdude yesterday and got his Sub4.
Its a lovely bass and as it didnt cost me anything i felt it was a good introduction to the MM tone etc.[/quote]

It was a pleasure meeting with you Dave, the bass has a wonderful tone as I said the neck was just too wide for me, I will get a Sterling one day but for now I'll stick to my Jazzes and the one I traded with you I have fallen in love with.

Happy trade all round then :)