Why become a member? ×

Can some one explain the whole Musicman, Stingray, Sterling thing

dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='690526' date='Dec 21 2009, 11:54 AM']I know. We searched high and low. We were told to 'avoid' certain areas in the south, but where we have now deposited is bloody lovely. Very quiet, modern, river views, next to the DLR, and HUGE amounts of space. Its very clean and very modern, with everything we need and amazing security. We got lucky I think....everything else we looked at was shabby and tiny. This place is like its own village away from the chaos. A good thing for me, I like to be able to get away, then go back into it at my choice.

Cheers[/quote]

It sounds fantastic. Its an area i have only been to one or twice and one i have never considered before.

Good luck with the move etc.

Hutton, do you think its limited to just the Ray? As a SB14 is no the radar i was wondering how that fairs.

[quote name='buff' post='690677' date='Dec 21 2009, 02:49 PM']Im sure amps have come a long way since then, i know jamie steward used to use G&K stuff when the cult got bigger. Barry from the SDC used peavey stuff.[/quote]

Yeah, my problem is i use small cabs and while they get the job done they dont sound like those big heavy Aprg/Peavey cabs from the past. Nor do they weigh as much mind you ;-)

Ive recently took apart my old peavey black widow 1x15 cab that weighted 72 lbs and put it in a smaller home made cab with two 100mm rear ports. Its the same size as a ashdown abm 2x10 only slightly deeper, but still lighter than the 2x10. I can get that kind of sound on those video's with my modded prose jazz which now has a emg MM pick up in the bridge position.

Edited by buff

I can get close to that tone but not at high volume and im sure not full enough to fill a room.
A bit off topic but we had a very rare rehearsal a while ago and i used the studio's cab (actually my old MAG C115) with my LMII and what a difference. Not better but very different tone wise. What i would call a proper bass tone. I guess im so used to my middy cabs that i had forgotten how they can colour the tone so much.
I do love em though and cant see me changing them until they actually break (or my drummer buys a van)

[quote name='buff' post='690708' date='Dec 21 2009, 03:22 PM']Maybe its the lack of 15" speaker, im no expert. But i took the home made cab around to mr T's the other week for a second opinion, and it definitely put out more bottom end than his 1x12 aggie cab.[/quote]

Im not too sure about the driver difference.
My old Epifani UL212 had a more traditional tone. I think its more to do with the size and design of the cab. Maybe its because they have a lot more in mids than some bigger cabs and also because the low end will be restricted due ot the smaller cab size.

Just a guess. You could well be right.

Not sure really i did a comparison test with it and the other peavey cab i got and could'nt tell a differance, maybe my ears are shot. Like i say im no expert when it comes to cabs, perhaps i just struck lucky even though BW speakers arent meant to work in small enclosures. If you believe whats said on the net.

[quote name='buff' post='690719' date='Dec 21 2009, 03:39 PM']Not sure really i did a comparison test with it and the other peavey cab i got and could'nt tell a differance, maybe my ears are shot. Like i say im no expert when it comes to cabs, perhaps i just struck lucky even though BW speakers arent meant to work in small enclosures. If you believe whats said on the net.[/quote]

Going even further off topic, we have just had our PA cabs fixed. We managed to blow both BW loaded Peavey cabs at the same time.
Funny old world.

[quote name='paul h' post='690740' date='Dec 21 2009, 04:01 PM']I haven't read all this thread. I can't be bothered. I have a 2 page maximum attention span.

However...I like this...[/quote]

Cheers Paul. That bass loves lovely. First one ive seen with a clear pickguard.

Looks like ill have to learn to slap if i get a MM (just kidding but i wish i could)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='690698' date='Dec 21 2009, 03:11 PM']I can get close to that tone but not at high volume and im sure not full enough to fill a room.
A bit off topic but we had a very rare rehearsal a while ago and i used the studio's cab (actually my old MAG C115) with my LMII and what a difference. Not better but very different tone wise. What i would call a proper bass tone. I guess im so used to my middy cabs that i had forgotten how they can colour the tone so much.
I do love em though and cant see me changing them until they actually break (or my drummer buys a van)[/quote]

HAHAHAHA you'll be getting an Ashdown now before you can say wooly jumper :):)

[quote name='Hutton' post='690474' date='Dec 21 2009, 11:06 AM']You see it's all about individual preference and probably a bit of playing style and what music you play. I am the new owner of the "uninspiring, boomy, rigid, and dead sounding" DJ4. However, I have found it to be "inspiring, exciting, flexible and sounds fantastic".

I also used to own a 2eq Stingray which I found to be lifeless in the treble department. My SUB4 however is a marvellous bass which will be with me as long as I am able to play.

It all goes to show that the ideal way to investigate your own choices is to get out and play individual basses and make up your own mind. We are all different and look for different things in our basses. These forums also show that individuals can be extolling the marvellous sounds and features of their basses one minute and selling them the next.

Trust your own ears and hands.

All the best![/quote]

I must admit, I have been guilty of extolling the marvellous sounds and features of my bass one minute and selling it the next, i.e, the DJ4 :rolleyes: It's a superb bass but it just lacked a certain something for me. Like you say though, we are all different. My wife likes single malt whiskey and I like blended, she likes cheese and onion and I like salt and vinegar, she likes Rosberg and I like Alonso :)

As Hutton says Trust your own ears and hands.

[quote name='Linus27' post='691486' date='Dec 22 2009, 01:35 PM']I must admit, I have been guilty of extolling the marvellous sounds and features of my bass one minute and selling it the next, i.e, the DJ4 :lol: It's a superb bass but it just lacked a certain something for me. Like you say though, we are all different. My wife likes single malt whiskey and I like blended, she likes cheese and onion and I like salt and vinegar, she likes Rosberg and I like Alonso :rolleyes:

As Hutton says Trust your own ears and hands.[/quote]

That's cool Michael. :)

What definitely isn't cool though is putting an "e" in whisky when you refer to single malt. Leave the "e" to the Irish and anyone esle who labours under the illusion that they can make 'the water of life'. BTW, your wife has great taste. Tell her if she gets fed up with you then I'm up for grabs. :lol:

[quote name='Hutton' post='691622' date='Dec 22 2009, 04:25 PM']That's cool Michael. :)

What definitely isn't cool though is putting an "e" in whisky when you refer to single malt. Leave the "e" to the Irish and anyone esle who labours under the illusion that they can make 'the water of life'. BTW, your wife has great taste. Tell her if she gets fed up with you then I'm up for grabs. :lol:[/quote]

HAHAHA well, the Irish in me does not know to laugh or cry. Considering you Scots make what can only resembles flavoured toilet water and feels like drinking razor blades. The only real Whiskey comes from Ireland. They even spell it correctly :lol: Now get your laughing chops around a bottle of Tulamore Dew and experience some real Whiskey :lol:

I do like Talisker thanks to my wife but I'm not going to admit that. I also got given a couple of bottles of single malt, single cask 16 year old Glenturret that was distilled in 1990 and bottled in 2006. Tasted rank to me but the wife likes it and I can trade it with her for a decent Irish Whiskey from her :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='691700' date='Dec 22 2009, 06:10 PM']HAHAHA well, the Irish in me does not know to laugh or cry. Considering you Scots make what can only resembles flavoured toilet water and feels like drinking razor blades. The only real Whiskey comes from Ireland. They even spell it correctly :rolleyes: Now get your laughing chops around a bottle of Tulamore Dew and experience some real Whiskey :lol:

I do like Talisker thanks to my wife but I'm not going to admit that. I also got given a couple of bottles of single malt, single cask 16 year old Glenturret that was distilled in 1990 and bottled in 2006. Tasted rank to me but the wife likes it and I can trade it with her for a decent Irish Whiskey from her :)[/quote]
nice debate guys, i like whisky with or without my 'e' , now can we all rewind to OP ( no i don't mean Old Peculiar ) go off- topic when required. highland park is best of both weird worlds..

[quote name='Linus27' post='691700' date='Dec 22 2009, 06:10 PM']HAHAHA well, the Irish in me does not know to laugh or cry. Considering you Scots make what can only resembles flavoured toilet water and feels like drinking razor blades. The only real Whiskey comes from Ireland. They even spell it correctly :rolleyes: Now get your laughing chops around a bottle of Tulamore Dew and experience some real Whiskey :lol:

I do like Talisker thanks to my wife but I'm not going to admit that. I also got given a couple of bottles of single malt, single cask 16 year old Glenturret that was distilled in 1990 and bottled in 2006. Tasted rank to me but the wife likes it and I can trade it with her for a decent Irish Whiskey from her :)[/quote]

I can see we're going to have to agree to differ. I will promise however to have a go at your Tulamore Dew. Perhaps what we can agree about though is that the distillery that has opened down England way should be mortared as soon as possible. :lol:

Anyway, better not hijack the thread for much longer as phil says. Back to Stingrays!

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Hutton' post='691777' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:07 PM']I can see we're going to have to agree to differ. I will promise however to have a go at your Tulamore Dew. Perhaps what we can agree about though is that the distillery that has opened down England way should be mortared as soon as possible. :)

Anyway, better not hijack the thread for much longer as phil says. Back to Stingrays![/quote]
actually, f~~k it , talk whisk(e)y if you like, as no-one's posting anything anyway, and i didn,t mean to be a spoilsport. IMO scotland has a more diverse field when it comes to distillation, but the irish stuff is equally worth seeking out,and can produce more spicy and sweet results but please don't slap me , it's just my opinion, and we all have'em ..love & happy new year/hogmonay/whatever !!

I LOOOOOOVE my Stingrays.

My best ever sounds for LIVE use are SR4 or SR5, into a Sansamp BDDI, into the PA, and into my MArkbass LM2 and Mb 4*10 cab.

Now, I use the Sansamp on 50/50 blend - 50% direct bass sound, for the middy "bite" and 50% sansamp sound, just on the edge of valvey breakup when I dig in, but not too scooped.

Sounds awesome. These are the best live basses for me, as they cut through every time.

But at home I prefer a subtler sound, more refined and "hifi" if you like.

But for live use I don't think a Stingray can be bettered - I am always confident that my sound will be just what I need it to be.

My SR5 cost £800, and SR4 £700, both bought used on here.

Re the weak G string thing, mine is slightly down on the SR4 (not on the 5), but not enough to bother me in the slightest.

What would I change? - the SR5 is heavy, that is all.