Why become a member? ×

What would you buy?

coxswain

Hello, I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice.

Haven't been playing for very long and I'm looking to buy my second amp. My 80W just ain't cutting it anymore. I play in a rock band and I need an amp that will be audible over a loud drummer and 2 distorted guitars. I've gathered from what I've read that I need something in the 300-500W category, but I've seen reviews for 300W amps, which claim that they're not loud enough and I've seen reviews for the 100W Ampeg BA115, which claim that it's plenty loud enough to play in a loud band, so I'm a little confused.

Ideally I'd like to get something for less than £400 which hopefully is more than enough. Most if not all gigs we play have a PA, so I just need something that will keep up with the rest of the band in rehearsal. So my question to you is what would you buy? Should I go combo or head/cab, which brands are good quality and which should I stay away from? Any help is greatly appreciated

[quote name='coxswain' post='654723' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:35 PM']Hello, I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice.

Haven't been playing for very long and I'm looking to buy my second amp. My 80W just ain't cutting it anymore. I play in a rock band and I need an amp that will be audible over a loud drummer and 2 distorted guitars. I've gathered from what I've read that I need something in the 300-500W category, but I've seen reviews for 300W amps, which claim that they're not loud enough and I've seen reviews for the 100W Ampeg BA115, which claim that it's plenty loud enough to play in a loud band, so I'm a little confused.

Ideally I'd like to get something for less than £400 which hopefully is more than enough. Most if not all gigs we play have a PA, so I just need something that will keep up with the rest of the band in rehearsal. So my question to you is what would you buy? Should I go combo or head/cab, which brands are good quality and which should I stay away from? Any help is greatly appreciated[/quote]

Head + cab....:) Mark Bass Little Mark 2/3 then a decent cab

[quote name='Musicman20' post='654726' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:38 PM']Head + cab....:) Mark Bass Little Mark 2/3 then a decent cab[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply, but i thought Mark Bass was a fairly expensive brand. I love the way they sound but i think they're a bit out of my price range :rolleyes:

[quote name='Musicman20' post='654726' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:38 PM']Head + cab....:) Mark Bass Little Mark 2/3 then a decent cab[/quote]

Mark Bass LM2/3 plus cab for less than £400?

I'd keep an eye on ebay for stuff like this

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-Ultrabass-BX4500H-Amp-BA210-and-BA115-Cabs_W0QQitemZ280423645730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item414a8d4222"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-Ultrabass-...=item414a8d4222[/url]

or if youre near it, just buy it :rolleyes:

OK, I bought my Markbass 1x12 combo for £300 but i was VERY lucky, and you might also get as lucky. However, I find a 1x12 struggles to get above loud drums

Good luck mate

Chris

I'd keep my eye out for second hand Trace Elliot stuff. Always punched well above their weight. I had a 1998 7215 SMC 1x15 300 watt combo, admittedly needed an extension cab to get the full 300watts, but even without I never had any trouble keeping up with a loud drummer, and guitarist with a 100watt Marshall valve amp. I sold mine for £150. Similar ones, or heads with the same amp, come up fairly regularly on Ebay, and on the sales page here-which is probably the best place to be looking for used kit.

[quote name='Beedster' post='654801' date='Nov 14 2009, 08:00 PM']Mark Bass LM2/3 plus cab for less than £400?

I'd keep an eye on ebay for stuff like this

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-Ultrabass-BX4500H-Amp-BA210-and-BA115-Cabs_W0QQitemZ280423645730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item414a8d4222"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-Ultrabass-...=item414a8d4222[/url]

or if youre near it, just buy it :)

OK, I bought my Markbass 1x12 combo for £300 but i was VERY lucky, and you might also get as lucky. However, I find a 1x12 struggles to get above loud drums

Good luck mate

Chris[/quote]

yeah I've been keeping an eye on ebay for the last week or so waiting for something good to come up. Not too much stuff goes on sale here in the southwest tho and I don't really wanna spend as much on petrol as I do on the amp :rolleyes:

that behringer rig you linked may be a bit too much for me, but it seems like a hell of a bargain. How do people feel about behringer? from what i've heard they can be really unreliable.

oh one more thing. If I do go head/cab could I get two different brands? like a hartke head and a GK cab. Are cabs designed to fit to a specific head or will it not affect the sound too much as long as both are in good condition and watts and ohms and whatnot fit each other?

It does also depend how heavy your attack is. Some players are very light so the signal in can be quite a way down already.

I would have no chance of keeping up with a loud drummer who doesn't have ears, and guitars for that matter, with a 150watt head.. but other guys can do this no problem.

I would say that 300watts for a bass amp is typical as bass frequencies can drain an amps power...so try and get something in hand for this.

As for cabs, then 15's take some bass abuse and are ok for a standalone. I would prefer some help with freqs over 3.5khz, so 10's are good for this, as is a horn. But a lot depends on your playing style.
12's are some peoples version of a 15", in that it may attack better, but will not necc have a better range.

You should be able to mix and match a head and a cab but some makes match up better.. this is why you want to hear them in context.
Value for money..?? well, Trace Elliot is solid gear cab-wise and you can get a lot of power 2nd hand.

In an ideal word, I'd have matched cabs, if possible.

If I were to be buying new, for £400 and in your shoes I'd go for a Behringer amp & Behringer 4x10" cab to get going with. Then in time you can add another cab, when funds permit, to really beef things up. Have a look at Digital Village's website for some good prices on Behringer gear.
I've used that stuff at rehersal rooms for years and it does keep up well with the guitars & drums IME.

Otherwise keep 'em peeled on here for a great 2nd hand bargain!

Regards,
Jon.

Edited by jonthebass

From what I've found out on this forum is that it's not so much the wattage but how much air is being moved. So in theory a 100w 2x10 combo could sound louder than a 300w 1x12.

Personally, I'd steer clear of beringher stuff as you do get what you pay for.

Edited by xgsjx

Having spend ££££££££££ on gear, One of the Best, Clean sounding easy to use amps was the Behringer BX3000 = Sold mine as i had it as a backup and it went for £80. Its a 300w Head into 4ohms.

Someone has one on here delivered for around £70???

I used mine with a Peavey BW 115 Cab and it was amazing, Plenty of these cabs around for £50.

For £250 you could get both the larger BX4500 (450w Head) & Cab BRAND NEW!!!!

Dispite peoples opinion of Behringer - For me i found the amp Superb!

J

BEHRINGER CAN BE unreliable & there's NO way I'd shell out good money for one IF I HAD A CHOICE- which YOU do!!! At least look at HArtke..... Or as ppl said Some older Trace Elliott gear. You need to look at how many watts are being put out at the different impedances- eg. some put out say- 500w @ 4 ohms & 300w @ 8 ohms. So an 2nd hand Hartke HA5500 is 500w @ 4 ohms - so then U need to look at a cab to suit. Do U want ONE cab & to stick with one??? If so try & get a 4 ohm cab to get the max. powwer outta the amp. So even a 300w @ 4ohm head- into a -say 4x10" 4ohm cab will be PLENTY loud enough. OR ... outta the myriad of options.... U could get an 8 ohm cab - it'll be a little quieter, but you can add another cab later...... as 2 x 8 ohm cabs = a 4 ohm load. & you COULD have ... ONE 8 ohm 4 x 10" cab & a 8 ohm 2x10" cab ( or a 8 ohm 1x15" cab) & use either/or.... there must be a STICKY on this....

2nd hand Peavy or Trace, will sound meaty and well within budget

There's also a hartke rig just been posted in the for sale section:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67261"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67261[/url]

Loads of bargains to be had, old heavy cabs are stupidly cheap nowadays and the above brands are built to last. Personally i'd avoid Behringer as from limited experience they tend to cr@p out earlier than other amps.

There's a lot of trace stuff for sale on here just now and I want it all. Very reliable stuff, as is Peavey.

Have a look on Ebay, I've found that most of the older solid state bass gear on there is peavey and trace so it tells you something that they're still going after all these years

I just picked up a 1110 4x10" combo from 1984 and a 1518 1x14" from slightly later for £230 and its in really good condition having only been used in residency at holiday camps during the summer.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='655039' date='Nov 15 2009, 10:36 AM']I just picked up a 1110 4x10" combo from 1984[/quote]
....with the help of three friends, I bet. They're heavy beasts. :) But they sound great - good buy!

OP: There's a Hartke LH500 for £200 in the FS section. Get that and a decent 4x10 cab and you'll be laughing.