Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics RH450

Gunsfreddy2003

Hi,

I have been reading in BGM and on the web about the new bass amps and cabs from TC Electronics and I wanted to know if anyone on the forum has tried them out or bought one yet?

They look really good on the web and the price is not too bad so might consider a change if the reports on here are just as good.

Let me know your thoughts please!

Mark

I have just tested the TC Electronics Rebel Head 450, through one of their 210 cabs, as I too was in the market for a rig.
Read all the reviews and watched the demos on You Tube. Went to my local dealers and tried my bass through it. Not bad, very clean, but thick and 'heavy thump', is the best I can describe the sound, I was impressed with the features as I was looking to minimalise my current rig, and having a tuner built in with three presets was great news. All this wrapped up in a neat small bundle,superb. That was until I tried my bass, (a Lakland Darryl Jones sig 4) through a Little Mark II and a Little Mark 210,wow! Such clarity, almost bell like. The sound from each string had real definition but there still remained depth of field to the sound. Once I compared the two back to back, there was simply no contest, for me that is.
All I can suggest is go and try your bass in the same test. After all its down to what you want to hear from your bass that counts, what is good for me is not necessarily good for the next person.
The TC Electronics gear has some great features, and shouldnt be discounted by any means.
Good luck with your search.
T le B

I've gigged mine a couple of times, either through one or two Aguilar DB112's depending on the venue.

As an ex LMII user I'm very pleased. It has quite a 'warm' tone (and that's entirely subjective of course) and I wouldn't let the lack of 50 'paper watts' put you off.

Plusses, tone, variability (semi parametric on all 4 EQ's) features - 3 presets, pedal with mute and remote tuner, useful tube emulation.

Minuses, one Speakon output (need to 'daisy chain' two or more cabs), can't read the 'captions' under the cover lip (not an issue in practice I find).

I would say they are quite expensive and I also get the feeling that the cabs maybe aren't as good as the head?

Legion has gigged his more often than me though.

Peter

I've been gigging an RH450 for several months now and very pleased with it.
Can't really add much more to whats been said.
It certainly has been designed with the gigging player in mind and once you know your way round the amp it is so easy to use on the fly.
One thing a lot of people don't realise is you can change the centre frequencies of the eq, bit like a parametric thing going on for each eq control. Only just started playing with this but opens up more possibilities from what is already a great little amp.

I forgot to mention the 3 band compressor too.

There's clear indication for everything, fine tuning, gain and clipping, semi parametric setup, tubetone, compressor operation.

Good to hear some folk have been using them for a good while with no apparent reliability issues. There's a huge largely +ve thread on TalkBass.

Peter

I tested one out with a Sadowsky / 75 Reissue Jazz and I don't think the guys in the shop had it set up properly to be fair.

The cabs weren't really my kind of thing, although I really like how they have been designed/shaped.

The head itself is very functional and has a lot going on. As with all TC equipment, its pricey. I like its features, I like how versatile it is, but I wasnt sold instantly. However, again it was in a tiny corner on a low volume as the shop was full.

I think going for the amp with, as mentioned above, different cabs is probably the best combination.

I'd like to fiddle with the tube tone a bit when I get chance to play one again.

They look very impressively made, and I suggest testing one out :) LM2/3 much simpler and less to play with, but obviously if you are like me and have a tuner/sansamp/tonehammer or decent dirt pedal that sounds tube like, then its a case of either getting a head without the features or selling them all to just buy the TC head.

Id really like an amp shootout with the Genz Shuttle 9.0/LM3/RH450....we should do this!

I'm completely happy with my RH450 - it's killed all interest in any other amps (which is a good thing beleive it or not!).

At the gig last weekend I had one of those moments where I get to play solo at the end of a song. I was shocked by how good it sounded and it made a really lasting impression on me. My Pino Palladino strung with TI's and played with a pick just sounded beefy as hell with a presence that totally belied the size of my rig.

Definetely worth trying one out Mark - as you say the cabs are might not be as great as the head though.

J

[quote name='Legion' post='648636' date='Nov 8 2009, 11:21 AM']I'm completely happy with my RH450 - it's killed all interest in any other amps (which is a good thing beleive it or not!).

At the gig last weekend I had one of those moments where I get to play solo at the end of a song. I was shocked by how good it sounded and it made a really lasting impression on me. My Pino Palladino strung with TI's and played with a pick just sounded beefy as hell with a presence that totally belied the size of my rig.

Definetely worth trying one out Mark - as you say the cabs are might not be as great as the head though.

J[/quote]

That bass sounds like my dream bass....well it is!

[quote name='whynot' post='648609' date='Nov 8 2009, 10:52 AM']I've been gigging an RH450 for several months now and very pleased with it.
Can't really add much more to whats been said.
It certainly has been designed with the gigging player in mind and once you know your way round the amp it is so easy to use on the fly.
One thing a lot of people don't realise is you can change the centre frequencies of the eq, bit like a parametric thing going on for each eq control. Only just started playing with this but opens up more possibilities from what is already a great little amp.[/quote]

Are you using the TC cabs as well? If so, how is the finish on the cabs standing up? I saw some in GuitarGuitar (Newcastle) and they were pretty scuffed just through being in the shop.

[quote name='gazhowe' post='648815' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:42 PM']Are you using the TC cabs as well? If so, how is the finish on the cabs standing up? I saw some in GuitarGuitar (Newcastle) and they were pretty scuffed just through being in the shop.[/quote]
I have an RS210 and have only used it on a couple of gigs due to mostly using other cabs. I can see how they would mark easily so best use a cover for transportation.
I actually like the sound of these cabs. If it were not for owning a couple of other cabs that I'm happy with I would get a second RS210, but for the reason I'm not using it so much it is in the For Sale section.

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the comments - some good some bad as you always expect!

Think I might head out and test one for myself and see what they sound like. Certainly the portability looks interesting and the combining of the tuner and compressor would mean now need for a rack with a head and tuner in it and also one less pedal on the board too!

Mark

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='648911' date='Nov 8 2009, 05:00 PM']Hi Guys,

Cheers for the comments - some good some bad as you always expect!

Think I might head out and test one for myself and see what they sound like. Certainly the portability looks interesting and the combining of the tuner and compressor would mean now need for a rack with a head and tuner in it and also one less pedal on the board too!

Mark[/quote]

I didn't read much bad in there?

The TalkBass thread is nearly 40 pages of praise for this amp and is worth a visit if you have time to spare.

Getting rid of a rack was in part my aim and it succeeded :)

Peter

[quote name='Musicman20' post='648628' date='Nov 8 2009, 11:11 AM']Id really like an amp shootout with the Genz Shuttle 9.0/LM3/RH450....we should do this![/quote]Once the 9.0's hit Bass Direct i'm off to try the Classic and 9.0 to see which to get...............

I would say when you try one move the Low frequency down a bit- I read somewhere it is factory set at about 280Hz! so you will never get the MB/Shuttle low end on turn on but you will easily and more with a bit tweaking, In fact I replaced 2 Tube amps with this and TBH there's not much difference to my ears.

[quote name='sk8' post='649406' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:22 AM']Once the 9.0's hit Bass Direct i'm off to try the Classic and 9.0 to see which to get...............[/quote]
And then a week later you'll get the other one. Will I have time to save up before you sell? :)

[quote name='tauzero' post='650739' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:26 PM']And then a week later you'll get the other one. Will I have time to save up before you sell? :)[/quote]
you following me? :rolleyes:

Think i will be going with the Classic but i'm going to do a side by side at Bass Direct

I was in there yesterday - what a cool shop and guy that owns it!

TBH not that impressed with the sound from the RH450 very coloured indeed. Did hear Mark Bass head through a Bergantino cab and wow what a sound!! I had tried Mark Bass before through their own cabs and decided it was not for me but this might have changed my mind!!

The Genz Benz stuff sounded great too and so light in weight.

Mark

[quote name='sk8' post='650970' date='Nov 10 2009, 07:45 PM']you following me? :)

Think i will be going with the Classic but i'm going to do a side by side at Bass Direct[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='651028' date='Nov 10 2009, 08:52 PM']I was in there yesterday - what a cool shop and guy that owns it!

TBH not that impressed with the sound from the RH450 very coloured indeed. Did hear Mark Bass head through a Bergantino cab and wow what a sound!! I had tried Mark Bass before through their own cabs and decided it was not for me but this might have changed my mind!!

The Genz Benz stuff sounded great too and so light in weight.

Mark[/quote]

It sounds like you want a really clean warm amp....which the Markbass is PERFECT for. A few people have said the MB cabs aren't quite as nice as their heads, but I can't comment as I've never tried one for long enough. Their NY4x6 is fantastic! The NY121 is really small and light.

Berg + Markbass just works really well. Both extremely clear and full of low end.

I agree, I like the Genz as well...hence my Shuttle 9.0 GAS!!!!

+1... ANOTHER vote for a MARK BASS amp thru a Berg cab!!!!!

I use a LMII > Bergantino AE112 - sometimes using my VTBASS pedal for some grit- & I've gotten SO many compliments on my tone with this rig- it aint funny!!!! Most ppl say "HOW can that much vintage tone be comin outta that li'l rig???" I explain that the VLE filter on the LMII has a lot to do w/ it(as I usually set my LMII's EQ pretty flat) & the Berg AE112 is the other BIG part of it!

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='Musicman20' post='648628' date='Nov 8 2009, 11:11 AM']Id really like an amp shootout with the Genz Shuttle 9.0/LM3/RH450....we should do this![/quote]

It's probably only a matter of time before you own all 3 so you'll be able to do the shootout yourself! (Sorry, I'm just jealous!)

Great collection. Your missus must be the most understanding woman around.

Edited by SisterAbdullahX

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='655378' date='Nov 15 2009, 07:56 PM']It's probably only a matter of time before you own all 3 so you'll be able to do the shootout yourself! (Sorry, I'm just jealous!)

Great collection. Your missus must be the most understanding woman around.[/quote]

She doesnt know about the Shuttle 9.0 yet!

I'll try and confuse her about it.

:)

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='656419' date='Nov 16 2009, 09:08 PM']Might be an idea!

Not wishing to hijack thread, but DB212 and Tecamp 212, which is best?[/quote]

The Tecamp 212 is a perfect lightweight solution and is much better than I imagined a lightweight cab could be....Im very impressed.

The Aguilar gives you that ceramic thump, and I think its slightly darker and 'dirtier' yet still clear and articulate. Plus Brown cabs...how cool is that?!

Totally different horns on them as well....I like them both! The Tecamp retails for more because of its weight...

I neeed to AB them both....properly. But, I really like what Ive got. No more, nothing...Im a lucky guy and I should just enjoy what Ive got.

If you can get either...I would!

The Aguilars will be getting more play soon when the Genz 9.0 comes as they are 8 ohms cabs (better for a tube amp as the Orange is 200 tube watts no matter what ohmage...or 4ohm minimum....went all out with two DB212s) and the Shuttle 9.0 pumps in a lot more...so they effectively become one cab solutions as well as a huge stack!

Edited by Musicman20