Why become a member? ×

Found my ideal bass sound

waynepunkdude

Was at Long Wave studio in Cardiff yesterday, the place was amazing.

I used my Jazz and it sounded absolutley amazing but unfortanatly if I ever want to acheive it I'm going to but a rck system like the one below :)

Used an Avalon pre amp, a racked Sansamp and a big blue box of valves and just WOW!!!!

Also I tried a white 62RI Jazz again below it was nice just not as nice as mine :rolleyes:

(oh and the whole studio is run by Windows :lol: )

Smart new haircut Wayne! Boy thats a lot of wires coming out of the racks.

As a cheaper and more portable alternative, I once owned a Tech 21 Landmark 300 head. This effectively has a power amp and two Sansamp channels in it (so you can, for example, have one dirty, one clean and mix with a footswitch - I just did dirty!). Very good amp, much less heavy than your Ampeg (but not a lightweight either) and they go for about £250-300 s/h. Don't see them that often but IIRC there was one FS on the forum not too long ago but can't remember if it sold.

There's a 600W big brother (Landmark 600) which Cetera from BC plays through and loves to bits, again IIRC

Alex Claber plays through an Avalon pre (IIRC).

You could get yourself a rack set-up with an Avalon, Sansamp and whatever the big blue box of valves was (I'd be intrigued to know what it was - TL Audio?) - but it wouldn't look very punk now, would it! Unless you put police/gaffa tape all over it...

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='642717' date='Nov 1 2009, 07:03 PM']Alex Claber plays through an Avalon pre (IIRC).

You could get yourself a rack set-up with an Avalon, Sansamp and whatever the big blue box of valves was (I'd be intrigued to know what it was - TL Audio?) - but it wouldn't look very punk now, would it! Unless you put police/gaffa tape all over it...[/quote]

The Avalon pre was amazing

The blue one is the one in the the middle of the main wooden rack about 2 from the top.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='642756' date='Nov 1 2009, 07:58 PM']Ive heard the Landmark heads....really good. I still rate the Sansamp pedals highly, BDDI is perfect for punk and metal.

Nice to see a good selection of amps in that photo...and some Orange :)[/quote]

The H & K guitar amp sounded amazing, never heard one before but it blews the Marshalls away.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='642785' date='Nov 1 2009, 08:21 PM']The H & K guitar amp sounded amazing, never heard one before but it blews the Marshalls away.[/quote]
Interesting you seem to like RUSH sounds mate :rolleyes: Alex Lifeson uses Hughes & Kettner.

What make was the kit? :)

[quote name='silddx' post='642786' date='Nov 1 2009, 08:24 PM']Interesting you seem to like RUSH sounds mate :lol: Alex Lifeson uses Hughes & Kettner.

What make was the kit? :)[/quote]

It's wierd how much better it sounds when people play music on it :rolleyes:

I have no idea about the kit, I have no clue when it comes to drums.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='642818' date='Nov 1 2009, 08:52 PM']Nope just one song, couldn't afford to do an album there unfortanatly.

Oh I'll have your rack thingy in the post tomorrow.[/quote]

Cheers mate.

But thats a bloody long way to go for one track! :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='642830' date='Nov 1 2009, 09:02 PM']It was a prize for winning the Coca Cola BOTB. We would never get in a studio like that otherwise.[/quote]

Well done for winning it :). Whens the track going to be ready? (Shoulda made it a 45 min long track :rolleyes: )

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='668255' date='Nov 28 2009, 01:45 PM']Got the track back yesterday, if you want to have a listen?[/quote]

Liked it. Tight with some good energy.

Mrs Marvin didn't realise that I had switched from we7 to play your track. Although I'm not going to tell you what I was listening to beforehand.