Why become a member? ×

Will playing a fretless make me a better fretted player?

WonderHorse

[quote name='skywalker' post='638922' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:22 AM']:) I am in the Midlands, not far from Derby & Nottingham[/quote]

Girlfriend lives in Nottingham I live in Peterborough. Would be a bit difficult since I'm currently without transport.

I've got a week off in November where I'm hoping to try a fretless out one day.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='638930' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:31 AM']It's in this one I think:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jaco-Pastorius-Modern-Electric-Bass/dp/B00007D5JQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1256729348&sr=1-3"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jaco-Pastorius-Mod...9348&sr=1-3[/url]

Anyone got a copy to check it?[/quote]

Yep :)

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='638929' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:31 AM']Girlfriend lives in Nottingham I live in Peterborough. Would be a bit difficult since I'm currently without transport.

I've got a week off in November where I'm hoping to try a fretless out one day.[/quote]

OK, no prob, I can drop it off in Nottingham if it helps.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='638622' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:24 PM']I'm sure in an interview of Jaco Pastorius by Jerry Jemmott I heard Pastorius say that he never practiced on fretless. He always practiced on fretted with his left hand fingers dead on the fret so that his muscle memory was perfect - or something to that effect. The idea being that playing fretted, played 'correctly', will help you to play fretless.

Anyone else seen that or am I imagining it?

For me, playing fretless made me listen differently and more carefully to what I was playing and I would say that now slips over into my fretted playing.[/quote]

Aye i read that interview too. Said he played on the fret because it sounded better to his ears

This is an edited down (i think) version of the interview i remember:

[url="http://www.jacopastorius.com/features/interviews/portrait.asp"]http://www.jacopastorius.com/features/inte...ws/portrait.asp[/url]

No mention of the fretting technique though

It was from an old bass special of Total Guitar i think, it had a big feature oin Jaco IIRC. It's knocking around in the attic somewhere so i'll try to fish it out tonight

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='639019' date='Oct 28 2009, 12:57 PM']This is an edited down (i think) version of the interview i remember:

[url="http://www.jacopastorius.com/features/interviews/portrait.asp"]http://www.jacopastorius.com/features/inte...ws/portrait.asp[/url]

No mention of the fretting technique though

It was from an old bass special of Total Guitar i think, it had a big feature oin Jaco IIRC. It's knocking around in the attic somewhere so i'll try to fish it out tonight[/quote]
That's interesting but not the one I had in mind. It was video of Jemmott and Pastorius chatting.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='639030' date='Oct 28 2009, 01:06 PM']That's interesting but not the one I had in mind. It was video of Jemmott and Pastorius chatting.[/quote]

That's it, 9min 20sec in. According to Jaco it's harder to play a fretted because of fret noise!

But yeah, he says he always played over the fret as it's clearer

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='639215' date='Oct 28 2009, 04:42 PM']That's it, 9min 20sec in. According to Jaco it's harder to play a fretted because of fret noise!

But yeah, he says he always played over the fret as it's clearer[/quote]
Does he connect it to playing fretless though or do I have false memory syndrome?

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='637973' date='Oct 27 2009, 02:42 PM']What it says on the tin really.

If any of you have been reading some of my recent posts (unlikely), you'll know I've got some major GAS for a fretless P.

I was just wondering if playing a fretless will make me better at playing bass in general? So will I notice a difference goign back to my fretted Jazz?

I'm wondering whether I should save up for a fretless or jsut get a Yamaha BB[/quote]

Of course it will. You will have to THINK about hand position, notes, easier ways to play riffs n' scales n' songs in general.
Going back to fretted will be refreshing and interesting to see which you will ultimately stay with more often.

I wouldn't take to heart Jaco's comment about playing a Precision neck. I think that's just what he was doing at the time. The video was recorded right at the end of his playing period; he was already becoming unreliable at that time. Anyway, the video is great - I don't mean to put you off. He also liked to preserve his fretless necks and so that may also be a factor for playing fretted. He had also lost most/all of his basses at the time of the video.

Davo

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='638622' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:24 PM']I'm sure in an interview of Jaco Pastorius by Jerry Jemmott I heard Pastorius say that he never practiced on fretless. He always practiced on fretted with his left hand fingers dead on the fret so that his muscle memory was perfect - or something to that effect. The idea being that playing fretted, played 'correctly', will help you to play fretless.

Anyone else seen that or am I imagining it?

For me, playing fretless made me listen differently and more carefully to what I was playing and I would say that now slips over into my fretted playing.[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILMHq_yZ7Hs&NR=1"]jaco fretted thing[/url]

just to add my two pence, don't bother getting a fretless if you don't feel the need for it. i very rarely ever play fretless, and when i do i play about 3 songs then get bored and go back to fretted. i'm a fairly competent fretless player, but tbh for the music i play fretless just isnt necessary and i like a clicky trebly tone than i can't achieve on a fretless. so i'd say get a fretless for the right reasons, and not just because you like the idea of a fretless.

[quote name='Tait' post='639656' date='Oct 29 2009, 02:03 AM']just to add my two pence, don't bother getting a fretless if you don't feel the need for it. i very rarely ever play fretless, and when i do i play about 3 songs then get bored and go back to fretted. i'm a fairly competent fretless player, but tbh for the music i play fretless just isnt necessary and i like a clicky trebly tone than i can't achieve on a fretless. so i'd say get a fretless for the right reasons, and not just because you like the idea of a fretless.[/quote]

That's what is holding me back. I don't really need one.
Maybe it would sound cool in a few songs in the band but it's more want rathet than need.