Why become a member? ×

Bass-related photography...

danlea

[quote name='thebeat' post='635161' date='Oct 24 2009, 10:55 AM'][/quote]
Now that's really nice. Love the tone, the paisley design, the composition, everything really... Tempted to say I would have protected some of the darker areas (pickup/fingerboard), but then that could disturb the balance of the highlighted regions and the framing.

[quote name='danlea' post='634653' date='Oct 23 2009, 05:33 PM']Having seen this post of a [topic="64011"]Fender Jag[/topic] and the subsequent comments, I thought it would be nice to have a thread for people's bass-related photography (distinct from the previous 'Great bass photos' thread). OK, so basses aren't necessarily the most common of subjects, but I remembered a photo (larger image attached) I had taken after re-stringing my acoustic on a sunny day:

One for the nerds: What's the shutter speed?[/quote]
[quote name='xgsjx' post='635263' date='Oct 24 2009, 01:21 PM']I'm gonna take a stab at 1/50, but if you tell me the ISO (maybe 400) & Aperture (maybe 2.8) & any stops on the flash (I'm guessing -1.2/3), I'll tell you the shutter speed.[/quote]

Well, not a bad estimate on the shutter speed I tell you! Although there is actually a way of calculating the shutter speed to reasonable accuracy. The purpose of the photo (fully zoomed on a standard 18-55mm rather than a macro lens incidentally - don't own one yet) was to show up the colour dispersion on the strings - particularly on the vibrating string (looks nice at full zoom, attachment on the original post). Catch my drift? And it's just sunlight through the window, no flash. Also, ISO 200 (min on a D40) and F13!

Edited by danlea

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='635416' date='Oct 24 2009, 05:03 PM']This thread explains why all my pics look crap, I have a standard camera I'm guesing you need proper lenses and stuff.[/quote]

Not entirely true...some of my own favourites were taken with a FujiE900 point and shoot type camera....not saying equipment doesn't help, but a great deal is in the eye, bit pretentious maybe, but true all the same.

[quote name='thebeat' post='635447' date='Oct 24 2009, 05:48 PM']Not entirely true...some of my own favourites were taken with a FujiE900 point and shoot type camera....not saying equipment doesn't help, but a great deal is in the eye, bit pretentious maybe, but true all the same.[/quote]

So what you are saying is as well as having a sh*t camera I'm also a sh*t photographer? :)

I've taken a few I was quite chuffed with:

[attachment=35075:sleekline.jpg] [attachment=35073:cortfretboard.jpg] [attachment=35072:buggerheadHC.jpg]
[attachment=35074:frankenbugger.jpg] [attachment=35076:sqprecision.jpg]

I'll have a trawl & see if I can find a few more.

Jon.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='635448' date='Oct 24 2009, 05:50 PM']So what you are saying is as well as having a sh*t camera I'm also a sh*t photographer? :lol:[/quote]

You're a very perceptive young man Wayne :rolleyes: Only joking mate....an eye can be developed, scuse the pun, took me ages to find a 'style' so to speak...i took, and still take, some pretty average snaps now and when i began...even now most of my shots are depressing as f*** to the average punter :)

[quote name='urbanx' post='635558' date='Oct 24 2009, 08:05 PM']My Nan says "Oh you have nice photographs, you must have an expensive camera"
She wasn't so jovial when her roast came out and I said "Nice meat, you must have a well nice cooker"[/quote]
I must be some kind of pervert but is this the most disturbing post on Basschat yet? :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='635416' date='Oct 24 2009, 05:03 PM']This thread explains why all my pics look crap, I have a standard camera I'm guesing you need proper lenses and stuff.[/quote]

nope , all mine are with a £40.00 Canon Powershot A550, like anything else you need to have some amount of natural aptitude and a lot of practice.

[quote name='danlea' post='635327' date='Oct 24 2009, 03:00 PM']Well, not a bad estimate on the shutter speed I tell you! Although there is actually a way of calculating the shutter speed to reasonable accuracy. The purpose of the photo (fully zoomed on a standard 18-55mm rather than a macro lens incidentally - don't own one yet) was to show up the colour dispersion on the strings - particularly on the vibrating string (looks nice at full zoom, attachment on the original post). Catch my drift? And it's just sunlight through the window, no flash. Also, ISO 200 (min on a D40) and F13![/quote]

So... The open A being played should be 55Hz - you can see about 0.9 of a period (at a push I suppose), so 0.9*1/55 = 1/61, or 1/60 to the nearest setting, which is what it was.

[quote name='Davo-London' post='636979' date='Oct 26 2009, 03:33 PM']I agree with 1/60 second, but it might only be showing a small part of its complete excursion distance depending on how hard the string was plucked, so I reackon it could 1/90 second as well.[/quote]
You're right in saying what's seen might not be representative of the cycle, especially if the string was plucked particularly strongly, thereby introducing all sorts of non-linear peculiarities... But then the EXIF data says 1/60, so :) (as it happens the shot was taken during a moderate, settled vibration).