Why become a member? ×

a strange thing happened tonight

Ou7shined

Our drummer entered us into a BOTB - £1000 top prize with sundry other runners-up prizes. [url="http://www.battleofthebandsaberdeen.co.uk/"]link[/url]

Our audition was arranged for tonight. I was the first to arrive. The address turned out to be a small church. I go in the front part of the church and hear a man and woman having a right full on mental argument [African accent] "Woman that is pathetic, I refuse to speak to you until you calm down ........Waaaaah" I eventually stick my head through the door with a very tentative "Excuse me is the where the auditions are?" and suddenly shouty guy is all smiles and Mr. Shaky-hands-man. I'm shown to the stage.

The supplied gear is all brand spanking and top notch, no doubt donated by the "co-sponsor" (see link) which is the main music store here in Aberdeen. Bose PA, a huge keyboard and a nice minty drum, kit. The bass rig was a Hartke 250w 15" combo thing - easily good enough for the wee stage (which is great as it was bucketing down tonight and I didn't fancy get my gear wet taking it in from the car).
The other guys turn up and we set up. There were the obligatory setbacks - a promised guitar amp wasn't there so one of our guitards had to plug straight into the desk and not enough power points. It soon became apparent that the guys running this hadn't much of a clue what they were doing as all 4 of them bumble their way around the desk - levels are all over the shop and the drum monitor remained silent throughout. I start thinking "what's the scam here?". Then we were introduced to the camera man. We didn't know we were getting filmed. I quietly mentioned to the guys that we should probably get something in writing if we are getting filmed but although my concerns were initially interesting they were quickly forgotten.

We played our 2 best songs as good as we could considering the circumstances. Then we were sat down for a sort of formal interview - which was pretty funny to start with as our drummer elected himself spokesman but he has the thickest Aberdeen accent and the African/London guys didn't have a clue what the hell he was saying. Eventually they realised that myself and the singer were most likely to give coherent answers and all questions came our way. Anyway after the "how long have you been together/ how did you meet stuff" the questions seem to be directed mainly toward our creative skills. So we blew our own trumpets good and proper.

Then as quickly as it started the interview was over and it was revealed to us that we got through to "the final" and how we have to compose 3 new songs for the event. We are given the date for the finals (3 weeks time) and that we will play against 5 other bands one song at a time in a head-to-head knock out type arrangement. Oh yeah, did I mention that the 3 new song had to be lyrically BASED UPON THE SCRIPTURES? (I forgot to ask which particular religion's scriptures they had in mind but I'd say with confidence we're talking Christian) Suddenly this clicked with how shady I was feeling about the whole deal and it started to make sense. He told us that the event is going to be covered by the local media (presumably with a large religious slant) then he rolled off a list of the major TV, radio and newspaper from this area.

Despite us all being heathen non-religious types we (verbally) agreed to the show... I'm still worried about copyright though.

Edited by Ou7shined

Well, clearly it's some sort of a scam. Wait for a sudden request for money to cover 'unexpected expenses' or a 'donation for the starving poor'. Or just some kind of endorsement of a shifty PO box "Church".

Or he'll just leg it with the door-money in the traditional fashion.

Save yourselves the time and bother of wondering what he's up to. Just kill him and steal the gear. Smiles all round!

Edited by skankdelvar

If they supply equipment you've not really got much to loose.

After all, you'll be performing 3 new songs based around a specific criteria, good excuse for the band to stretch its creative wings a bit and try new stuff, and if you do get filmed/media attention and something goes wrong, none of your other songs will be recorded. It's also not costing you anything but time really.

Might as well give it a shot.

f***ing christians...

My girlfriend's a teacher at a faith school, been desperately trying to find a different job for 2 years now.

Apparently their school chaplain (who seems quite fond of year 9 girls - guess the religion!) has decided to break the school's historical support for Amnesty International recently because of a position they took in support of an African woman who wanted to have an abortion. So now he's started printing out form letters and giving them to year 7s (11-year-olds) to sign and mail off in support of some more-appropriate "charity" that doesn't waste its time on things he considers immoral in his tiny little religion-addled mind.

He doesn't appear to give a f*** that these kids have no idea what they're writing in opposition to, really, so long as there's lots of support. They can leave the understanding and moral judgement to him - after all, he's a minister.

f***ing christians...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='633093' date='Oct 22 2009, 02:26 AM']....Apparently their school chaplain (who seems quite fond of year 9 girls - guess the religion!) has decided to break the school's historical support for Amnesty International recently because of a position they took in support of an African woman who wanted to have an abortion. So now he's started printing out form letters and giving them to year 7s (11-year-olds) to sign and mail off in support of some more-appropriate "charity" that doesn't waste its time on things he considers immoral in his tiny little religion-addled mind.....[/quote]
Woah that's fairly unsettling for a number of reasons. :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='633119' date='Oct 22 2009, 07:25 AM']Don't do it. You're giving them free video footage and free songs.[/quote]
Yep this does worry me.

They did mention that one of the points that the bands are going to be judged on is how "sell-able" they are. Whether there are plans to take this further or it is just a piss-ant category to pad out the criteria and be a bit Simon Cowell I don't know. I am scared that we inadvertently sign away the rights to our best songs because I don't know where "we want you to write 3 new songs for the competition" becomes "we commissioned 3 songs from you for the competition now they belong to us".

We probably won't win as we're not a commercial sounding band. I don't know what we are, sort of GCSE math rock with catchy melodies and lyrics based on real world experiences, heavy but not metal. I can't see that our music would have a wide enough audience to be considered viable to promote their religion unless they want to draw in hedonist and satanists (which is possible now I think about it). I suppose the lyrics (which will be submitted for judging) could be pinched but then again, it's not material we would choose to write normally or wish to be associated with so personally speaking (I'm not the lyricist) they could have them.

[quote name='OldGit' post='633166' date='Oct 22 2009, 09:03 AM']Run away.....

Spend the time getting real gigs.
Oh and send that first post to the shop ....[/quote]
I'm going to phone them to see what their take on it is. Apparently the judge for "technical ability" is a representative from the shop.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='633086' date='Oct 22 2009, 01:24 AM']True, but given the short time we have until the final we are just going to change the lyrics to existing songs.[/quote]

That's what the Salvation Army did for many years, and very effective it is too! - just look at Coldplay for example :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='633093' date='Oct 22 2009, 02:26 AM']f***ing christians...

My girlfriend's a teacher at a faith school, been desperately trying to find a different job for 2 years now.

Apparently their school chaplain (who seems quite fond of year 9 girls - guess the religion!) has decided to break the school's historical support for Amnesty International recently because of a position they took in support of an African woman who wanted to have an abortion. So now he's started printing out form letters and giving them to year 7s (11-year-olds) to sign and mail off in support of some more-appropriate "charity" that doesn't waste its time on things he considers immoral in his tiny little religion-addled mind.

He doesn't appear to give a f*** that these kids have no idea what they're writing in opposition to, really, so long as there's lots of support. They can leave the understanding and moral judgement to him - after all, he's a minister.

f***ing christians...[/quote]

There are plenty bogus scamming musicians out there but do we have posts saying f****ing musicians. No we don't. That is because we are sensible enough and grown up enough to know that you don't tar everybody with the same brush. To assume that all Christians are like this school chaplain is just ridiculous. I wouldn't regard this chaplain as acting in a Christian manner whatsoever. However, I am getting fed up with the judgemental attitudes towards my chosen beliefs on this forum. Yes there are people who erroneously call themselves Christians and have some very dubious ways of showing it but for goodness sake be adult enough to realise that we're not all bad.

For the OP: As regards the BOTB. My son's band was involved in a similar escapade. My advice for what it's worth is to have nothing to do with it. You will be exploited and possibly find yourselves in a situation where you are persuaded to take part in the activities of a dubious pseudo church.

[quote name='Hutton' post='633212' date='Oct 22 2009, 09:54 AM']For the OP: As regards the BOTB. My son's band was involved in a similar escapade. My advice for what it's worth is to have nothing to do with it. You will be exploited and possibly find yourselves in a situation where you are persuaded to take part in the activities of a dubious pseudo church.[/quote]
Very interesting. Could you give me more details about this so I can discuss this with the band. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

[quote name='observer' post='633213' date='Oct 22 2009, 09:54 AM']In my opinion, first you should ask them about some writen rules of the competition, specialy what they can do with recorded videos. That's strange there's nothing about it on the website.[/quote]
I think you're right.

As you're non-religious, do you really want to be associated with something you dont believe in? I'd walk purely on that fact, plus there's no point getting involved in something that feels this shady. There's enough people in the music industry who'll mess you about anyway, so you might as well step back from this and enter a competition you'd enjoy.

Can we keep away from the `religion' aspect here - we each have our own personal views on the subject - at the end of the day, there are good people and dodgy people out there - these guys organising the BOTB appear to be the latter type!!

Personally, I would not get involved as it does appear dubious. Otherwise, register your songs with MCPS and the PRS, then you will retain your rights to the material etc. Get a manager and good lawyer!

Nick

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='633330' date='Oct 22 2009, 12:07 PM']Why not dress up in the most shocking stage gear you can and give them a monotonous single chord, fuzzed up wall of sound while the singer quotes from Revelations.
You might as well have a laugh and go out with a bang.[/quote]

Or send Sunn0))) which amounts to the same thing :)

Ask for the contract and get a Musicians Union lawyer to check it for you - or at least tell them that's what you are going to do.
I suspect all interest in your band will dry up very rapidly.

Also ask for the rules of the "battle" BOTB's always have some in my limited experience. It's usually "biggest crowd wins and sod the talent" but that's by the by...

This is a "15 minutes of fame" type thing - you are seduced into doing something you would never ordinarily do for the chance of being on telly somewhere ..

Run away, and fast....

+1 on leave out the religion discussion. I don't think it has any relevance here