Why become a member? ×

This is why I started playing bass.......

Rayman

[quote name='steve-soar' post='631851' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:51 PM']The reason I started to play the bass, end of.[/quote]

Same here. And I'm not interested in any Precision that isn't black. This is my fave of their vids, the bass solo at the beginning is one of my favourite warm-ups!

Edited by Deep Thought

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET! :)

Just sweet.

That Ramones clip is from the Musikladen show, recorded live and it's a fantastic blast through some of their best songs. DeeDee sure picks close up to the neck.. the complete opposite of JJ.

I wonder how many new bass players were spawned due to JJ's playing style and tone. I reckon he must have a fair old number of "bass children"!!

[quote name='Spoombung' post='632793' date='Oct 21 2009, 08:43 PM']That's the only Precision I ever heard that sounds like that. I always thought it sounded more like a Rickenbacker, ala Chris Squire. Anyway, it's an awesome, rough sound.[/quote]

I can definitely get that kinda sound with a low action, fresh roundwounds, fairly heavy pick, played closer to the bridge. I managed it a solid state Trace but without the grit, and the Orange definitely does it.

Its all in le strings/technique and an EQ fiddle I tell thee....I love a phat P Bass sound, but I also love a cutting dirty P bass sound.

:)

[quote name='Spoombung' post='632793' date='Oct 21 2009, 08:43 PM']That's the only Precision I ever heard that sounds like that. I always thought it sounded more like a Rickenbacker, ala Chris Squire. Anyway, it's an awesome, rough sound.[/quote]

+1. I can actually get much closer to that gritty early Stranglers tone with my Ric than I can with the Precision

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='632100' date='Oct 21 2009, 09:16 AM']Same here. And I'm not interested in any Precision that isn't black. This is my fave of their vids, the bass solo at the beginning is one of my favourite warm-ups!

[/quote]

+1, just fantastic, remember being awestruck in front of the telly as a nipper!

Oh yes - one of the reasons I love bass and one of the players who inspired me to play bass.

My first ever gig was the Stranglers at the Glasgow Apollo in Sept 1979 on the Black and White tour - supported by The Skids no less - even had strippers for Nice n' Sleazy - wey hey !

:)