Why become a member? ×

Any one using power conditioners in their rack? If so explain to me.....

AttitudeCastle

Hey Guys

Question, i went to a gig at the local hall (i'm that cool) and i asked the bassist what was in his rack, he had Ampeg SVT 4 pro a tuner and a...

a power conditioner?

he said it was essential, he said he's never not use one???

why?

he said becasue you need one?

said it was important?

I was and am confused

any one else using one? if so, tell me why i should use one

i don't even quite know what they do, they are to prevent overloads or something right?

=S

Adam,

As far as I'm aware,all a power conditioner does is isolate each output and help to prevent
your gear from sudden spikes of electricity.
I don't think it's an essential piece of gear-a good quality four way should be able to do
a similar job.

But to be honest, I'm not 100% sure what they do. I've never needed one anyway.

Edited by Doddy

Tucked away at the bottom of that wisegeek page

[quote]Although the term "power conditioner" is often used interchangeably with "line conditioner," these terms can also refer to devices that not only condition power but also regulate voltage. This type of line conditioner, often used in industry, will boost voltage when it drops or act as a surge protector when it peaks, maintaining a steady flow of electricity within a set range of voltage parameters.[/quote]

I can see why someone might want to use one of these. Voltage variations can make a difference to your sound, particularly valve amps. Been thinking about this myself since an amp tech told me he'd measured my amp's output twice - 29w when his home's night storage heating was on, 39w when it was off.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='628717' date='Oct 17 2009, 02:50 PM']Tucked away at the bottom of that wisegeek page

I can see why someone might want to use one of these. Voltage variations can make a difference to your sound, particularly valve amps. Been thinking about this myself since an amp tech told me he'd measured my amp's output twice - 29w when his home's night storage heating was on, 39w when it was off.[/quote]

It's not gonna deal with that though is it, I mean it can't magically produce extra voltage from nowhere. Still ironing out the peaks and troughs in the supply voltage sounds like a good idea, although I wonder if it has the same real world effect on the sound as gold terminals have on the hifi.

Industry line conditioners are not usually the sort of thing you can get into the back of a van. In the UK the supply voltage is must be above 220v to be in line with Europe, but usually it will be still 240v. Pro level amps will have electronics built into their power supplies to stop the spikes the power.

The problem is that mains is dirty and full of spikes, not a nice clean sine wave. These spikes constantly hammer the electronics in your amp. Eventually your amp's power supply will die. Toss up betwwen replacing your power conditioner every few thousand hours or replace your amps supply every few thousand hours. Depends on how much you gig I suppose.

You can't stop the interferance from strip lights etc, that's airborourne RF and is picked up by your -erm- pickups.

I think some power conditioers will stage the outputs on slowly after a power cut so would protect your gear if the power is suddenly switched back on, before you get to turn your volumes back down.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='SteveO' post='628844' date='Oct 17 2009, 04:44 PM']It's not gonna deal with that though is it, I mean it can't magically produce extra voltage from nowhere.[/quote]
Apparently, that's exactly what voltage stabilisers do (among other things) - surprised me. :)

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_stabilizer"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_stabilizer[/url]

Changing the input voltage to an amp can have quite an effect on the sound. Eddie Van Halen used a Variac to run his Marshalls at a different input voltage from spec, in order to produce his "brown sound".

Def going to look into this.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='628951' date='Oct 17 2009, 08:11 PM']Apparently, that's exactly what voltage stabilisers do (among other things) - surprised me. :)

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_stabilizer"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_stabilizer[/url]

Changing the input voltage to an amp can have quite an effect on the sound. Eddie Van Halen used a Variac to run his Marshalls at a different input voltage from spec, in order to produce his "brown sound".

Def going to look into this.[/quote]

well well there you go, I always thought they were a load of capacitors and other such electrical trickery that stored the charge then pushed it out when the supply dropped, a bit like you have in DC transformers to flatten the waveform. I suppose a little thought tells you it must be possible as you can get an inverter for the car that pushes out 240V from a 12V battery. Right, I'm shutting up now. :rolleyes:

Any amp worth buying will be able to handle the power in the UK without a so-called conditioner. In fact if you use a high power amp a 'conditioner' is likely to cause a bottle-neck in the supply due to insufficient current capacity, thus causing worse performance and no better protection than if you plugged into a cheap surge-protected 4-way extension lead.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='628981' date='Oct 17 2009, 07:38 PM']Any amp worth buying will be able to handle the power in the UK without a so-called conditioner. In fact if you use a high power amp a 'conditioner' is likely to cause a bottle-neck in the supply due to insufficient current capacity, thus causing worse performance and no better protection than if you plugged into a cheap surge-protected 4-way extension lead.

Alex[/quote]

I have to agree with Alex here. The UK power supply is very clean and stable and any decent amp will be fine.

Frank.

Hey Guys

Dont know if i am coming in too late here. However i use a Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner, within my rack of stuff. The main reason for using it is because my rack consists of a wireless, effects unit, tuner and amp which are all mains powered and in the rack case. It just makes it a lot easier if the whole rack is plugged into one power source i.e. the Furman and one master mains switch. The other great features with the Furman gear in particular is the Rack light you can use at the front, which will illuminate all of your equipment for dark and dingy venues (I play alot) as well as extra IEC outlets on the front and back. I can power any additional pedals from this unit too.

I have attached a picture of my rig to show you the conditioner in place. (Its the very top rack unit)

Also if you look at any pics of touring rigs (I have attached a pic of Slash and Duff McKagans rigs) they will always without a doubt have a power conditioner, and 9 times out of 10 it will be a Furman. [url="http://www.furmansound.com/"]Click for Furman's Website[/url]

[quote name='machinehead' post='629034' date='Oct 17 2009, 08:58 PM']I have to agree with Alex here. The UK power supply is very clean and stable and any decent amp will be fine.

Frank.[/quote]

We've had issues playing outside with very long extension leads 200m+. We always use a generator now.

I can see that there are LEDs on the Furman which would tell you that the line voltage was too low in those situations. They would help with any disagreements with the organisers of any event about not enough power.

When I was using a rack setup (SVT-3/Tuner/Wireless) I had a cheap Samson power conditioner fitted, but it was more for the convenience of having everything powered from one source, with neat and tidy cables, and only one mains lead to connect from the back of my rack. They are by no means an 'essential' piece of kit.

The rack lights were pretty though.

[quote name='machinehead' post='629034' date='Oct 17 2009, 08:58 PM']I have to agree with Alex here. The UK power supply is very clean and stable and any decent amp will be fine.

Frank.[/quote]

Not always the case........

We play in a lot of old country mansions and the power circuits in those places are mainly shot to pieces..... connect up lighting and audio equipment and you can hear the ground loops/earthing hums, spikes from white goods elsewhere in the buildings..... we have a heavy duty power conditioner with several outlets (16 amp in total which is more than enough) that gives us a steady, clean power.

[quote name='crez5150' post='631172' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:49 AM']We play in a lot of old country mansions and the power circuits in those places are mainly shot to pieces..... connect up lighting and audio equipment and you can hear the ground loops/earthing hums, spikes from white goods elsewhere in the buildings..... we have a heavy duty power conditioner with several outlets (16 amp in total which is more than enough) that gives us a steady, clean power.[/quote]

That sounds like a better use of a power conditioner. Does it actually regulate the power or is it just a higher current version of the usual filtering things?

Alex