Why become a member? ×

Mad synth-like bass sounds without getting a synth?

xilddx

Is there a pedal that will do stuff like this? I suppose I am after keyboard type sounds, electro, dubstep, almost infinite sustain, envelope filters, stuff like that. My POD X3 can't do them but I can put the appropriate pedal in its effect loop. I don't want to get a bass synth, purely because of the cash involved.

What's out there?

Cheers.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='624033' date='Oct 12 2009, 02:57 PM']I'm not sure what you're after, but this might help. It will produce a synth version of whatever note you play for as long as you hold down the pedal.

[url="http://guitargeek.com/gearview/55/"]http://guitargeek.com/gearview/55/[/url][/quote]
Riiight!! This is something like what I'm after! I guess it's possibly the sustain that's the key for me. I wonder if you can just get a sustainer of some sort, I've got loads of distortions available to me already.

Thanks DB!

Other option could be a synth-friendly multi-effect unit. I've just bought a Korg AX3000B secondhand which does some great synth sounds for not much cash (not infinite sustain but some great synth sounds :) ) or if you have a bit more cash check out the Line6 M9 thread under the effects section (Tayste gets some nice synth tones on the 'Synth 2' MP3 posted here)

Worth hearing stuff before buying (not that I did :rolleyes: ) as the sound in your head can be difficult to translate to words

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Yep, ped's V-Bass was awesome, but, my POD X3 Live does many things the VB can't, I may be playing guitar and bass at the same time in a live situation (Steiny doubleneck hopefully), my X3 can handle that as separate tones.

I may be thinking in terms of the wrong solution, I don't know. But I'd like to be able to do this without MIDI but make my bass sound like a bass synth with infinate sustain. However, is there something non-MIDI that will give me that ebow/sustainer effect? I want to be able to slide notes on the fretless with infinite sustain and apply filters, I suppose like a wah from hell.

Sorry, I'm finding it hard to explain the sounds in my head, you're right :)

Surely you could acheive infinite sustain with distortion and volume, and then EQ out the top end so it doesn't sound like distortion, just seriously compressed bass? I once had quite a nice synthy type sound using a french toast and a Black Liquorice with a hard limiter and a gate, and all the top EQd out. Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick.

Plenty of bass synth type sounds in the Boss GT6-B.
And with the GT10-B out now, the GT6's may be that bit cheaper too.
It's just a matter of whether the 6 has the particular sounds you're looking for, I guess.
Pity, you could have tried mine last Saturday.

You could always get a Deep Impact and a bunch of Moog filters. In fact, Nord did a keyboard that could take any input signal and run it through all the virtual analogue filters on the keyboard. Obviously the rack version would be more appropriate and look less stupid.

There are a lot of options along those lines but really you should just get a keytar and be done with it. :)

I've been trying to get a similar type sound, like a sine with a small amount of square added.
I've been going down the Moog route & the MF101 does help with the sine like sound & I think the Freqbox might give me the finishing that it needs (along with using flatwound strings). The Bass Murf gets used like an eq & I sometimes use it for overdrive. I hardly use the arpeggiator on the filters but sometimes I'll use it slowly blending for textures.