Why become a member? ×

Universities

fusionbassist1

Hello Everyone,

I'm basically completing my personal statement n all that jazz within the next week (or so I hope) in order to apply to do music in University.

I've already had some places suggested to me over the years but I was hoping that by having a quick scan on would possibly turn my head towards somwehre promising in the country that i might not have thought of.

I've already looked at the courses at (some successfully and some not so successfully) Birmingham, Leeds, Cardiff and LIPA so far.

If you have any feedback about any of these places or anywhere else in the UK that does a Music degree (BMus, BA with or without Hons and i'm also considering things like jazz, performance and world musics etc) that lasts 3 to 4 years then that'd be great.

Knowing where NOT to go would be handy too, to be completely honest :)

Thanx very much.

My wife recently completed her BMus at Aberdeen University. I'll ask her for some info and get back to you.

In the short term, look here: [url="http://www.abdn.ac.uk/music/"]http://www.abdn.ac.uk/music/[/url]

Edited by neepheid

I couldnt possibly comment on the Cardiff course but seeing as you are based in Wales, would you get cheaper entrance fees as a result of Welsh Assembly? (this may have changed now as Im out of the loop all things educational)
Saying that, I dont suppose its wise to choose a University on financial terms if the course/facilities aren't up to scratch.
I did see a performance by the graduating jazz students from the welsh college of music and drama few years back conducted and written by Keith Tippett which was fantastic

[quote name='iamapirate' post='621267' date='Oct 9 2009, 08:00 AM']hmm I know a professional guitarist who teaches at BIMM and he seems to think it's good :)[/quote]

Everyone I know who went to BIMM said it was a waste of time.

I think if you're looking for something along the same lines as BIMM and ACM then The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance in London may be your best bet.

I haven't been to any of the above mentioned so it's all advice I've been given and not first hand experience. Not sure about universities.

Thanx for having a look at the topic guys.

I want to go away from Wales purely because I see Uni as a fantastic way to move away from home and with Wales being so full of social pockets and friends of friends I think it'd be a waste to go to the capital (no matter how good their Uni and courses are meant to be) to only end up sharing diggs with some people I grew up with and work for companies owned by people I've known for years; there's not enough social or proffessional expansion there for me as I've been gigging up and down the country for quite a few years now.
On the note of how much cheaper I'd get my Uni by staying in the country it really doesn't bother me about how much everything's going to cost as i believe if there was ever a reason to jump into tens of thousands of pounds of debt then my future is exactly that reason.

I'm looking at Edinburgh now due to it being nice and far away, in a culturally awesome place and it ranking pretty good on the uni ranking table.
Anyone got any ideas what they're like?

[url="http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Music&x=24&y=7&sub=M"]Uni Ranking Table[/url]

Rather than just using the newspaper's league tables, also see what students think of a specific course via the National Student Survey results at [url="http://www.unistats.com/"]Unistats[/url]. It may not be perfect (it only surveys final year undergraduates for example) but it's probably the best judge of individual courses.

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

Oh yeah I don't for one second think that the paper's ratings aren't a sturdy guide but when I don't have any other feedback on some of these unis it's at least a nice rough bit of help that gives me an idea rather than my UCAS form being full of guesses and courses picked out of a hat.

A lecturer from Bangor University whom I play bass for in his jazz trio has just suggested that a good starting point would be to decide if i want to go to a straight up uni or a conservatoire.

He says a university will be far more academically driven and less performance based which might suit me better due to me really dissliking the preassure on exams and irrelevant skills that i had with my music tech A level and certain aspects of my other music qualification.

With that said though i'm not a bedroom musician who just wants to play, i consider myself a musician first and a bassplayer a just a specific detail thereof; I don't want to be surrounded by a load of metalheads who just want to shred as it wouldn't be a step up from college at all.

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='621867' date='Oct 9 2009, 05:57 PM']I don't want to be surrounded by a load of metalheads who just want to shred as it wouldn't be a step up from college at all.[/quote]

DUDE! Metal rulzzzzzz. Get with the now!