Why become a member? ×

Lakland USA

Musicman20

[quote name='Faithless' post='620029' date='Oct 7 2009, 10:05 PM']That's the thing I've never got about Lakland..

Do American and Skyline series differ so much, in terms of quality, playability, etc..?
I'm talking about models like 4-94(american) [i]or [/i]44-01(skyline) and such....[/quote]
[url="http://www.lakland.com/skyline_vs_us.htm"]FAQ's: US and Skyline - What's the Difference? [/url]

now that's clear, thanks for that, EssentialTension :rolleyes:

anyway, I'd be interested to hear opinion of the man, who's played, for eg., both 4/94 and 44-01 or anything like that - how the quality difference actually [i]feels[/i] on those two basses. Anyone? :)

Edited by Faithless

I've been eyeing up the USA Joe Osborn models over the last few days, but having contacted a few dealers to check their availability, it seems we in the UK are limited to Skyline models unless we import them ourselves (and suffer huge duty as a result)

My wallet may well thank me though if I do go for a Skyline!

[quote name='Faithless' post='620136' date='Oct 7 2009, 11:55 PM']now that's clear, thanks for that, EssentialTension :rolleyes:

anyway, I'd be interested to hear opinion of the man, who's played, for eg., both 4/94 and 44-01 or anything like that - how the quality difference actually [i]feels[/i] on those two basses. Anyone? :)[/quote]
I've never played a US Lakland so I'm not in a position to compare. Someone who can will be along in a minute, I'm sure. I will say that all the Skylines I've played were excellent such that I'd be tempted to buy three Skylines rather than one US - if you see what I mean.

On the [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/LaklandOwners#play/uploads/9/cIzV9462xeE"]You Tube Lakland Owners' Channel[/url] in one of the interviews, Dan Lakin tells a story that John McVie asked Lakland for a Bob Glaub. So they sent him a Skyline to keep him going while they got down to making him a US. McVie contacted them and said not to bother with the US because the Skyline was fine.

I've a hard time seeing how the US models can be so much better than the Skyline's. I LOVE my Skyline JO to bits! I've played a 55-94 next to a 55-02 and couldn't tell that much difference. The 55-94 was twice the price...

people who play the US modells will obviously say they´re better... if I spent that kinda money I´d say the same.... I had both in my hands and noticed to diff in playability. The hardware on the US more expensive, so are pickups, but sound and playability are pretty muchg the same.... imho. 7ender has the same policy.... the CIJ are def more consistent in quality.

I've had three Skylines (so far) and all have been simply excellent. My Duck Dunn remains one of my all-time favourite basses.

I've never even touched a US-made Lakland so I can hardly comment on how much better they are, but it's hard for me to imagine how a US-made could be three times as good, or justify being three times as expensive, as a Skyline.

A better player might feel differently, of course. :rolleyes:

As to that Bass Central site, I couldn't help but note that the web-page was headed up "Lakeland". :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='620267' date='Oct 8 2009, 09:22 AM']As to that Bass Central site, I couldn't help but note that the web-page was headed up "Lakeland". :)[/quote]
Plastic basses? And there was me thinking they were using good quality timber.

PS, the BG5 does look the d's b's in 3TS/RW but the price is plain silly IMHO

I've owned 4 Skylines - 2 JO5s, a 55-01, a DJ4 and one USA 4-94. There is IME no comparison quality wise - don't get me wrong I love Skylines, they're workhorses, they sound and play great and they're perfect for the gigging bassist. The build quality is perceivably as good as the USA models but main difference as far as I can see is in the quality of the woods.

The 4-94 literally took you're breath away whenever you opened the case - it was a work of art. Mine had a beautiful quilted sunburst top (you could feel the quilt with your fingers), stunning bird's eye maple neck and gold hardware - I had to sell it because I was scared to use it. It was also a lot lighter than any Skyline I owned.

Are they worth the extra mahoney? I don't think so.

I brought my US Lakland before the Skylines appeared and I wasn't best pleased when they did. Dan Lakin's competitors are the likes of Sadowsky but in my opinion he's managed to undermined his own high end line! All other boutique bass makers differentiated their high end basses, made them obviously better in various ways, except Lakland!

They trashed my resale value at a stroke so I'm glad I got mine off EBay at a greatly reduced rate. If I brought another Lakland it would probably be a Skyline.

[quote name='acidbass' post='620152' date='Oct 8 2009, 12:06 AM']I've been eyeing up the USA Joe Osborn models over the last few days, but having contacted a few dealers to check their availability, it seems we in the UK are limited to Skyline models unless we import them ourselves (and suffer huge duty as a result)

My wallet may well thank me though if I do go for a Skyline![/quote]

I've ordered a new Skyline JO5, and even though ive got a little wait, im really excited about it.

Ive heard nothing but good things :)