Why become a member? ×

tuning to d and c standard

BigBadBass

hello!

ive started jamming with a new band where the guitarist tunes in d standard, drop c and C standard because it suits his vocals better. the band has a kinda funk vibe to it. i have always played a 5 string as the first 'proper' bass was a 5. I have never needed to change tuning before playing in standard or even drop d cause i have those extra notes on the 5. i found it easier to tune to him for jamming purposes for some of the riffs hes playing.

Any advice on tuning down and keeping as much tension on the strings as possible?

cheers

Steve

[quote name='BigBadBass' post='601358' date='Sep 17 2009, 02:49 PM']Any advice on tuning down and keeping as much tension on the strings as possible?[/quote]

Heavier strings.

However, I'd have a go at playing the riffs in standard tuning as it may give a nice difference in feel. Or ask him if he'd like to drop a semitone further to B standard tuning! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='601386' date='Sep 17 2009, 03:22 PM']Heavier strings.

However, I'd have a go at playing the riffs in standard tuning as it may give a nice difference in feel. Or ask him if he'd like to drop a semitone further to B standard tuning! :)

Alex[/quote]

i think i might keep my 5 in standard and maybe aquire a 4 to keep in drop c with heavier strings as some of the riffs are much easier and sound better with an open c. Any string in particular you would recommend?

I was going to suggest getting a 4 and tuning it to C mate. Ideally though I'd try to stick to standard BEADG and learn the riffs. It does make it a lot harder but in the end it will improve your playing and your technique and when you do gigs you won't have to faff about changing basses and tunings.

Adam

[quote name='BigBadBass' post='601358' date='Sep 17 2009, 02:49 PM']hello!

ive started jamming with a new band where the guitarist tunes in d standard, drop c and C standard because it suits his vocals better. the band has a kinda funk vibe to it. i have always played a 5 string as the first 'proper' bass was a 5. I have never needed to change tuning before playing in standard or even drop d cause i have those extra notes on the 5. i found it easier to tune to him for jamming purposes for some of the riffs hes playing.

Any advice on tuning down and keeping as much tension on the strings as possible?

cheers

Steve[/quote]

That's metal band talk. They seem to have to pick weird tunings and then all tune the same to show solidarity or something. I don't understand why the bass player can't just leave it alone - more so if you have a 5 string.

I've had my Vampyre tuned to C since first getting it - as a tuning, I love it.

On the Warwick forum, someone had posted the suggested string gauges for keeping similar tension on the neck as in E. I ended up using Warwick Red Labels (the thicker 4 of a 5 string set) which gives me a .130 C string and it works well.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='601592' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:12 PM']That's metal band talk. They seem to have to pick weird tunings and then all tune the same to show solidarity or something. I don't understand why the bass player can't just leave it alone - more so if you have a 5 string.[/quote]
When you're playing unison riffs with the guitar that have lots of open string pedal notes (like a lot of metal riffs) it can be easier to play a downtuned bass. That said, having done both, I much prefer playing the 5 string.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='601592' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:12 PM']That's metal band talk. They seem to have to pick weird tunings and then all tune the same to show solidarity or something. I don't understand why the bass player can't just leave it alone - more so if you have a 5 string.[/quote]
+1 - but then I would never have anything to do with metal anyway.

oddly enough is nothing like metal its more of a tuned down funk kinda vibe. I think i might get a 4 string and tune it to C that way im not changing the set up of my main bass. Its a good excuse to buy another bass haha

theres a couple of the riffs that is played on the open C and it sounds really good, to jump back up to the first fret of the B would be a nightmare hahah

Cheers for the responses!!

[i][I'm gonna have to start putting this answer in my signature lol][/i]

I currently tune Drop C Standard for my band FSOF and use string gauges 45-105, with similar tension and action to standard tuning.
It's as much (if not more) to do with the core thickness, thicker core, more tension!

Try giving Malcolm at Newtone Strings a call, tell him your preferred gauge (what you find comfortable), the tuning you wish to use, and he'll sort you out a tension that works best!

Oh and they cost no more than a set of Elite/Rotos :)
Si

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='601625' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:45 PM']When you're playing unison riffs with the guitar that have lots of open string pedal notes (like a lot of metal riffs) it can be easier to play a downtuned bass.[/quote]

...which is exactly why I use a dowtuned 4-string for Delirium rather than my 5-string.

[quote name='Sibob' post='602862' date='Sep 19 2009, 12:52 PM'][i][I'm gonna have to start putting this answer in my signature lol][/i]

I currently tune Drop C Standard for my band FSOF and use string gauges 45-105, with similar tension and action to standard tuning.
It's as much (if not more) to do with the core thickness, thicker core, more tension!

Try giving Malcolm at Newtone Strings a call, tell him your preferred gauge (what you find comfortable), the tuning you wish to use, and he'll sort you out a tension that works best!

Oh and they cost no more than a set of Elite/Rotos :)
Si[/quote]

I did find Newtones die fairly quickly (especially nickels) but the old meths bath sorts them rought out.