Why become a member? ×

TO GO: The Bill Wyman Bumper Book Of Root Notes

Zombywoof

A cracking read with every root note you could possibly ever want to play and more!! Only Fifteen pages long (except the forward by Brian Blessed of course!) Contains such chapters as 'E', 'A', 'C#' and of course 'B'. Also contains a three page explaination of how Bill found those two elusive notes, The 'H flat' and the 'J bitter'.

I've got a copy somewhere. Here's an extract from the opening chapter:

[quote]It was 1964 and we'd just scored the triumph of getting our next Number 1 in before the Beatles. I was feeling pretty good at rehearsals one day so I turned to Keith and said how well I thought things were going. Keith looked at me and frowned.

"Who are you?" he asked. I thought he was joking and whipped back with: "I'm Sir Stafford Cripps, Chancellor of The Exchequer"

"No, really, " he muttered. "Who are you?" I couldn't believe my ears. He must have been on drugs, I thought.

"I'm Bill. Bill Wyman" I replied, "You know, the bass player." Keith looked worried and called over to Tony Sanchez, his dealer.

"Tony! Tony! Who's this bloke? What's he doing here? Who let him in?" Tony just shook his head and looked enquiringly at the rest of the guys.

Mick, Charlie, Brian and Stu all looked blankly back at me. Amazingly, none of them had ever known I was there. Which explained why they'd never spoken to me. Ever.

That night, I told my wife Astrid what had happened. "Who are you?" she quipped "No, really. What are you doing in my house? I'm calling the police."

From that day on for the next 22 years, no-one in the Stones ever spoke to me again. It was at this point, I decided my real ambition in life was to only ever play three notes per song, own a mediocre burger bar and release a single called 'Si! Si! Je suis un Rockstar'.

Which I did.[/quote]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='601670' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:25 PM']I've got a copy somewhere. Here's an extract from the opening chapter:[/quote]

Inspired stuff.... I'll have a go at a chapter tomorrow, in fact if everyone did a chapter we'd have a proper book on our hands. Just in time for the christmas market.

Another chapter

"[b]Eb[/b]

This is found at fret number 6 on the second fattest string. Don't worry though. You'll never need to use it. In reality it's what in music theory they call a 'spacer'. It's just there to seperate the important D and E roots.
I've only ever played this by mistake in the early days. A good technique is very important.
When I was giving Mandy lessons on my old Vox I spent a lot of time making sure her fingering was spot on."

Edited by Low End Bee

Chapter 3: [b]A[/b]

A is probably the most important note you'll ever play, ever, and can be found on as many as three of the strings. A is a mournful note which is why it's so important in 'cod' blues. I discovered the A by accident one day in the studio. After 8 hours of playing E (see chapter 1) I grabbed the neck of my bass due to burping issues and, hey-presto, the A was born! It would be another six years before I grouped E and A with B (another accidental find, see chapter 7) but that chance discovery set me on a path from which I never strayed.

It was the first time since owning a bass that I'd wandered onto the neck with my left hand and my finger got a bit sore but I'm glad I found that beautiful little note. I think of it as Gods note.

[quote]Chapter 7: [b]B[/b]

These are buzzy things closely related to wasps and ants, and are known for their role in pollination and for producing honey and beeswax. There are nearly 20,000 known species. They are found on every continent except Antarctica, in every habitat on the planet that contains flowering plants. I like honey, it's very nice on toast and also makes a very comforting drink when mixed with lemon juice and diluted with hot water. Just right for those annoying winter sniffles.

EDIT: I have just been told that 'B' is also a note. I wanted to verify this so I called Darryl Jones, my (I think) inferior replacement in the Stones. He helped me out tremendously -- apparently, the proper description of the B is "look, whoever you are, if you don't stop hassling the band we'll take out an injunction". So there you are.[/quote]

[quote][b]Chapter 8 - [i]H - The "Secret" Root Note[/i][/b]

One night in 1967 I finished off a threesome with Julie Andrews and the Transport Minister, Barbara Castle and headed off to Kingsway Studios in London's glamorous West End. As soon as I walked in, I knew we had a problem. Keith was rolling around on the floor, foam spewing from his mouth and his eyes bulging from his head. Andrew Loog Oldham, our manager, was at a complete loss.

"Bill! Bill! Thank God you're here! Keith's going cold turkey!" I couldn't even see any chicken in the room, let alone turkey, so none of this made any sense to me. Keith raised himself on one arm and peered at us with unfocussed, venomous hatred.

"I need H. Give me some H, you bastards!" I immediately saw the nature of the problem. Strapping on my custom 'Wyman' bass, I quickly tuned the G string up a tone and played it over and over.

"There you go, Keith" I soothed. "An H note. One above G."

I'd saved the day and Keith was suitably grateful. "Who the f**k's making that f***ing awful noise?" he screamed as Tony Sanchez rammed a needle into his chest. "And who's that **** playing my bass?"

Some people ask me if I really slept with over three thousand women. It's true. According to my diary, it was the 29th May, 1965.[/quote]

Edited by skankdelvar

• 4 weeks later...