Why become a member? ×

Ever had the urge to quit?

Jobiebass

never give up ! youre just lacking motivation and self love nothing wrong with that but youre not not seeing the wood for the treez , most of us go thru it but allways get through it .take a breather and put on a tune that inspires and uplifts you , even better if its loaded with HQ bass too

Bass is the salvation ! !

I gave up twice and each time sold my stuff ( it will never happen again ) made me miserable as sin ..

FWIW 30 odd years of playing and i havent nailed YYZ yet ! dont expect i ever will coz no band ive ever played in would even contemplate it

Find some decent respecting and reasonably good players to play with , theyll give you the edge to succeed ! , theres no substitute for playing in front of people ! ! and it forces you to be better too !

oh and a round 70 notes for your shuke... ( should you ever really give up ) ( thats upped the ante )

Gary
v8 and possibly shuker owner sometime soon ... :)

I quit and sold all my gear 10 years ago. I was never very good, much in the vein of a root note monkey.
Anyway sold my stuff and always thought I might have done the wrong thing.

4 months ago bought small set up. I'm still rubbish but really determined to be a better player this time. Last night spent 2 hours trying to nail what sounded like a simple riff, and failed but, I'm not going to give up. My technique can be ropey, fret buzz caused by not pressing down positively etc.

The one thing that is a lot better picking up the bass this time is the internet. Take this forum for example, then there are all the resources with regard to theory and teaching on-line, wish they had been there when I had started.

So pass all the waffle, if you have enjoyed it in the past, then it is probably the people you are playing with. ( I also hate when guitarists go ' play us something then '). I wouldn't give up, but ultimately it is up to you. Maybe just give it break for a while.

By the way, anyone know of any bands needing an ageing bass player, who is not that hot, in North Devon?

£75 for the Shuker if you do decide to give it all in.

Edited by RichB

[quote]I used to get the odd day or two in the first 6 months of playing when I got frustrated that I couldnt do something and thought about quitting. But I rode it thru and ive been playing 4-5 years now and ive only just realised that im in no way musical. I dont understand music, I dont understand theory, [b]I dont listen to much music[/b] and I do not have any sence of rythem.[/quote]

[b]Simon Cowell mode: ON[/b]

[u]"I dont listen to much music"[/u]

Why do you want to be a musician?

Judging by your post it seems to me that you're not really into music.

To get any enjoyment out of [i]playing[/i] music - you've, at the very least, got to enjoy [i]listening[/i] to it... preferably, loads of it.

I really don't mean to sound harsh, but, perhaps music is not for you.

[b]Simon Cowell mode: OFF[/b]

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600237' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:20 PM']I dont understand music, I dont understand theory, I dont listen to much music and I do not have any sence of rythem.

I'm not good enough to be in a half decent band, I cant write my own stuff unless you count roots, 3rds and 5ths[/quote]

In order

Neither did I when I started - I just liked it enough to keep trying to make it.

What theory I know can be written on a fag packet and I've been gigging for 30 years

I don't listen to music much either

You think mine fell out of the sky?? Nope - it came gradually

Neither are half the blokes riding round in Rollers

Of course I count roots , thirds* and fifths so you can write your own stuff.

* except I don't know what a third is - honestly.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='600431' date='Sep 16 2009, 04:38 PM']In order

Neither did I when I started - I just liked it enough to keep trying to make it.

What theory I know can be written on a fag packet and I've been gigging for 30 years

I don't listen to music much either

You think mine fell out of the sky?? Nope - it came gradually

Neither are half the blokes riding round in Rollers

Of course I count roots , thirds* and fifths so you can write your own stuff.

* except I don't know what a third is - honestly.[/quote]
Being in a ZZ TOP tribute act a knowledge of thirds would be counter productive. And probably add confusion. :)
For the record I love ZZ TOP and if your ever down in Wurzel country I'll be along to hear you playing TOP stuff :rolleyes:

Ever had the urge to quit?

Every day at the moment.

I also gave up bass for a long period. I started in my teens, but switched to guitar in my early 20's. There was a gap of around 15 years before I bought myself another bass, and for the last 10 years I'd never looked back, until recently, and I've thought about jacking in music all together.

I decided that I'd always have at least one bass and one guitar about the place somewhere, to pick up when the mood took me. As it stands I'm still gigging in a band, but for how much longer is debatable.

If you get tired of playing an instrument, whatever it is, my advice is put it away somewhere safe, don't sell it, because [i]you will[/i] come back to it some day.

I say you should stick to getting lessons, preferably from a GOOD teacher. A good teacher will give you inspiration, ambition and interest, not just get you to repeat scales over and over.

Helpfully, there are a few tutors on here, might be worth going to the tutors sub forum and looking for ones near you? Especially looking out for recommendations.

I've been playing for 30 years & for 99% of that time I've thought about giving up because I think I'm crap - I'm my own harshest critic. I've mainly concentrated on keyboards & guitar the last few years. I'm crap at them both but seemed to get more enjoyment from them than I did from bass.

Part of the reason I joined Basschat was that I wondered whether it was time to hang the bass up once & for all. A few months after joining I've just bought a new bass & am possibly about to join my first new band for 20 years.

I spent hours today playing bass & went from feeling great about it to abject despair and back again. I do that because playing, and music generally, matters to me more than almost anything else in my life.

don't do it! I gave up playing, well as in had a strum every few months, for about 2 years, and then when I came back to it I was more frustrated that I couldn't play what I used to, then got saddened at how much better I could have been if I'd stuck at it. You can add me to the list of people who couldn't even pass grade one theory :)

I think also, once you have that buzz off a gig, you'll never want to leave :rolleyes:

As for the equipment, I'd say keep the instruments, as those are the things you'll regret the most if you ever got rid. As for the amps, get rid if you're not using, and get something you can use properly in the environment you need it for. Unless you've got a ultra rare vintage amp, chances are you're going to be able to pick up the same or something better further down the line. The wood however....

As for bands, I've always like to take the approach of going out for a drink with a new member or a new band before we've even played together, because if I can't get on with socially, then I don't see much point because I love doing a gig, then getting drunk with the band and having a great time. Plus I want to be enthused about playing music with those people, not dreading it or not looking forward to it.

Good luck!

Being in a band of any kind makes you a better musicians. I've been in several bands, ranging from crap to awesome. And each one has given me a different perspective, and required different things of me. You pick that up and take that onto the next group of people you play with. But I'd never be at this stage with that accrued knowledge if I hadn't overcome that 'I'm too crap to be in a band' attitude which I did have when I started. Find a new band, even if it is people you've never met, not just friends :)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600344' date='Sep 16 2009, 03:35 PM']had 2 lessons last year, he said my technique was spot (1 finger per fret and clasical grip, movable anchor on plucking hand) its just my theory that sucked. he just ran me thru what I had learnt for free on studybass.com and some scales n stuff. [b]But he wasnt teaching me anything I really wanted, I went there to learn how to go about improv. Bought 3 books on improv which are terrible too.[/b][/quote]

I'm afraid thats very much a run before walk scenario. You do need the basics of theory to be able to improvise effectivly.

At the end of the day, whatever decision you make now isnt set in stone for the rest of your life. You've got some nice gear that you'll get some nice money for if you wanted. Would you get more enjoyment out of the money?

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600311' date='Sep 16 2009, 03:13 PM']thanks for all the comments tho guys/gals. your probably right in not selling it all.

I did enjoy having band practice with my mates band last week before the bassist turned up so maybe i dont hate it, I just dont like playing with the 5-6 other people I jam with occasionally.

Gonna pack it all up for now and have a little break from it. Im off to do a snowboard season in the French Alps in november till april so might pick it back up then.[/quote]
Sounds like a plan. A break is often a good thing when you're in the doldrums. And when you do pick it up again, for god's sake [i]find some new people to play with[/i].
And definitely do not sell your kit.
[size=1][color="#808080"]Except the Shuker, to me, for 80 quid.[/color][/size]

[quote name='MythSte' post='600596' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:02 PM']I'm afraid thats very much a run before walk scenario. You do need the basics of theory to be able to improvise effectivly.

At the end of the day, whatever decision you make now isnt set in stone for the rest of your life. You've got some nice gear that you'll get some nice money for if you wanted. Would you get more enjoyment out of the money?[/quote]

I know basic theory. major/minor triads, diminished triad, dominant 7th etc and I know a few difrent type of scales too but I still suck at improv.

[quote name='v8bass' post='600406' date='Sep 16 2009, 04:25 PM']v8 and possibly shuker owner sometime soon ... :rolleyes:[/quote]
Ha ha Wait til you try mine and Rich's at the bash :)

The best thing you can do, by far, is to get in a working band.
Be brave and get around the websites, music shops and rehearsal studios and apply for all the bass jobs you see advertised.
Gum tree, Join my band, etc etc..

Or there may be a jam session near you.
Or an evening class for jazz or whatever
Or advertise in those places ....

Be honest and stress your strengths - maturity, transport, great gear, keenness.
Be clear about your availability and how often you want to gig.. Local once a week or European tours?
Your age will be important and your influences..

Then wait and see what happens..

£75 for your Shuker ... :lol:

[b]You need to gig. [/b]

If you want to be in an original band and you can't write basslines then that's the way the mop flops. It's not going to happen for you. Don't think it would happen for me to be honest.

If you end up in a covers band and you can learn the bassline and play in time to the track, then you've played the bassline as well as the guy on the track, it's just that he had the imagination/ability/flair to actually write it. Doesn't mean your a sh*t bassplayer.

Didn't know the Rush track so googled it and watched it. Not being able to play that yet is not really cause to beat yourself up.

My theory is non existent, I don't really listen to much music, I've gigged for a long time, never been sacked so I would hope I'm competent at what I do, but that's for others to say really.

There are huge gaps in my musical ability, mostly timing, not that I play out of time all the time but sometimes I find things tricky that other people don't. I have to actually count one section of a Foo Fighters song we do and to watch me and the drummer trying to come in on "sex on fire" is pure comedy showband, we land in a heap but manage to get up at the same time so just about get away with it.

Doesn't make the band rubbish though.

Find a band, not a bunch of mates and a smartarse guitarist. It will open up a new world to you.

I haven't been here long so I hope to god I'm not going to offend anybody but I really don't understand this bedroom bass playing lark. I've played for a long time but if I'd done 5 years just playing bass in my bedroom I'd be weighing all my gear in for another motorbike.

Jeez, that was a long post for me. I'd better go and lie down in a darkened room for a bit.

Best of luck, what ever you decide to do.

Oh, and £80 and fifty pence for the shuker. Don't want to get bid crazy just yet as I've been out of it so long I don't acyually know what it is. :)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600638' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:46 PM']I know basic theory. major/minor triads, diminished triad, dominant 7th etc and I know a few different type of scales too but I still suck at improv.[/quote]

OK Keep all that in your mind filed under "theory" and learn some tunes by ear... Bass tunes and melody tunes...

Try learning the melodies of, say, Summertime, In the summertime, Summertime blues, Chasing Cars, I predict a riot, Bach: Cantata, BWV 147, Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (it falls under the finger, honest), River deep, mountain high, you really got me, twinkle twinkle little star.....

The try learning the bassline tunes to Something, Steely Dan's Josie, the solo in the live version of Free's Mr Big, Schools Out, The Who's live version of Summertime blues.

Now these are not easy but if you have them you will have some vocabulary for improvising because improvising is about stringing together notes and rhythms and most of us start out by using bits of stuff we've heard before.

[quote name='Les' post='600648' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:55 PM'][b]You need to gig. [/b]

If you want to be in an original band and you can't write basslines then that's the way the mop flops. It's not going to happen for you. Don't think it would happen for me to be honest.

If you end up in a covers band and you can learn the bassline and play in time to the track, then you've played the bassline as well as the guy on the track, it's just that he had the imagination/ability/flair to actually write it. Doesn't mean your a sh*t bassplayer.

Didn't know the Rush track so googled it and watched it. Not being able to play that yet is not really cause to beat yourself up.

My theory is non existent, I don't really listen to much music, I've gigged for a long time, never been sacked so I would hope I'm competent at what I do, but that's for others to say really.

There are huge gaps in my musical ability, mostly timing, not that I play out of time all the time but sometimes I find things tricky that other people don't. I have to actually count one section of a Foo Fighters song we do and to watch me and the drummer trying to come in on "sex on fire" is pure comedy showband, we land in a heap but manage to get up at the same time so just about get away with it.

Doesn't make the band rubbish though.

Find a band, not a bunch of mates and a smartarse guitarist. It will open up a new world to you.

I haven't been here long so I hope to god I'm not going to offend anybody but I really don't understand this bedroom bass playing lark. I've played for a long time but if I'd done 5 years just playing bass in my bedroom I'd be weighing all my gear in for another motorbike.

Jeez, that was a long post for me. I'd better go and lie down in a darkened room for a bit.

Best of luck, what ever you decide to do.

Oh, and £80 and fifty pence for the shuker. Don't want to get bid crazy just yet as I've been out of it so long I don't acyually know what it is. :)[/quote]

+1
his Shuker is that blue sparkly thing in his avatar :rolleyes:

[quote name='Les' post='600648' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:55 PM']If you end up in a covers band and you can learn the bassline and play in time to the track, then you've played the bassline as well as the guy on the track, it's just that he had the imagination/ability/flair to actually write it. Doesn't mean your a sh*t bassplayer.
[b] Im not bad at copying bass lines that other people make, might take me a day or so to master it upto a few weeks for something complex.[/b]

[b]lol, even the people on youtube covering it are off a little. there is one guy on there with a 6 string who plays it amazing tho. I never expected to master it.[/b]

[b] sounds like every rehersal have, haha[/b]

[b] im highly considering this after everyones posts[/b]

Oh, and £80 and fifty pence for the shuker. Don't want to get bid crazy just yet as I've been out of it so long I don't acyually know what it is. :)
yo'd have to add at least a zero to that price mate :rolleyes:
[/quote]

what i'd say is don't take it too seriously! play bass when you feel like playing bass, if you're not enjoying it put it down! its only a hobby after all. if you're not good at it, who cares (provided you're not in a band)? theres no point in selling all your gear just because you dont think you're any good, then if you feel bored what are you gonna do?! you might as well keep some of it, so at least then whenever you feel like it you can have a mess around.

if you decide to sell, i'm afraid i dont have the £80.50 that has already been offered for the shuker. however, i do have half a packet of skittles if you're interested in a trade?