Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever had the urge to quit?

Jobiebass

I used to get the odd day or two in the first 6 months of playing when I got frustrated that I couldnt do something and thought about quitting. But I rode it thru and ive been playing 4-5 years now and ive only just realised that im in no way musical. I dont understand music, I dont understand theory, I dont listen to much music and I do not have any sence of rythem.

Ive been glancing over to all the expensive kit I have in my room and I cant help thinking why do I bother? m not good enough to be in a half decent band, I cant write my own stuff unless you count roots, 3rds and 5ths so why do I have all this gear? ive seen less equipt bands blow my mind in pubs. Im never gonna use it to its full potential.

Really thinking about flogging it all and calling it a day.

(might buy an acoustic just incase I get bored tho) :)

I've never seen you play, so yeah, maybe you are sh*t. But it sounds to me like you are your own biggest critic. If you're enjoying it, keep playing, and keep striving to achieve what you consider to be a decent standard of rhythmic fortitude and music theory knowledge.

If not, then I'll offer you £55 for the Shuker.

S.P.

Take a break.

Stuff your stuff in a cupboard with "do not open 'til Christmas" on it and don't.
Whatever you do, other than selling me your Shuker for £50 :rolleyes:, DO NOT sell all your gear. The only time to do that is when you are really happy.
Do it now and you'll regret it. many have taken that route and then sen teh next few years trying to buy it all back again :)

OR:
Keep teh really personal stuff - your Shuker is the obvious thing on your list, flog the rest and buy a decent loud practice amp. Then put it all away til Christmas .....

I have before, there are more things to life then playing in bands, but if I did, I'd be even more bored then I am now!

I've not even played bass since way before I went on holiday though, first time in about a month or something will be at band practice this weekend.

Ive never played in a band tbh, I play with some mates every now and then but no singer. Pisses me off when the guitarist says make something up and it always sounds like since you've been gone by rainbow in a difrent key. lol. Think its a lot to do with him why im so pissed off with it. I slated myself in practice once and now he thinks its ok to join in. He is right tho. Id be at home in a crap covers band but thats about as good as it would get. I dont have fun playing with other people anymore and I pick faults with myself constantly when I play at home so usually only play for 10 mins before I get pissed off and put it down.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600257' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:40 PM']...I dont have fun playing with other people anymore...[/quote]

Correction - you mean that you don't have fun playing with this particularly guitarist any more. [url="http://partysounds.co.uk/go/local.php?postcodesearch=dn1&distance=1700&cat=&Submit=Search"]Try something else.[/url]

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

Honestly,if you feel like that then the instrument may not be for you.
But,then again give it a few months and you might find that it's the best thing in the world...which it is BTW.

I wouldn't get rid of all your gear just yet though. Maybe if you find a covers band where the 'hang' is really
good you will get some enjoyment from it again? Even if it's just an occasional Jam and a Beer,you may get
some inspiration back.

Oh yeah.......I'll have the Shuker for £60 :)

I find playing live with a band is where I get my enjoyment. Try advertising for a band to join or form your own.

As old git said dont sell your gear. I nearly did that in the 80s, and my missus said dont do it and she was right. Five years later i was back at it and I havent enjoyed myself so much before.

You probably need the challenge of working on some stuff you wouldnt normally do. Im not a lover of country music but I probably learnt more by playing in a 'dance band' and a country band than anything else i have ever done.
stick with it.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600257' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:40 PM']Ive never played in a band tbh, I play with some mates every now and then but no singer. Pisses me off when the guitarist says make something up and it always sounds like since you've been gone by rainbow in a difrent key. lol. Think its a lot to do with him why im so pissed off with it. I slated myself in practice once and now he thinks its ok to join in. He is right tho. Id be at home in a crap covers band but thats about as good as it would get. I dont have fun playing with other people anymore and I pick faults with myself constantly when I play at home so usually only play for 10 mins before I get pissed off and put it down.[/quote]

Sounds like you need Therapy?

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600257' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:40 PM']Ive never played in a band tbh... ...Id be at home in a crap covers band[/quote]

Either have a break or find a crap covers band! Or a crap originals band - in which case you'll probably realise you're a lot better than you think! :) Bass isn't half as much fun on its own as with a band.

Now I'm not a huge fan of their music but you can't deny Oasis wrote some great tunes - that first album is outstanding. I think it could be argued that they were a pretty decent band. And their bassist was utterly dire, just completely hopeless. If someone that bad can be in the one of the biggest bands of its era then even if you're as bad as you claim it's unlikely to stop you from playing good music in a good band! If you have a bass, an amp, transport and a cool demeanour you're sorted.

Alex

There's no harm in time off. There's also no harm in selling on irrelevant gear (ie. an SVT and 8x10 for practising in your bedroom). Don't let other people tell you how crap they think you are though - they usually do it 'cos they're trying to cover the fact that they're s##te.

I contemplated giving up, sold most of my gear and concentrated on the rest of my life, but 10 years on I still pick up my bass and have a play - funnily enough not normally for more than 10 minutes at a time but I find it much more fun than I did when I was a 'serious musician'. Give it some thought and decide what [u][i]you[/i][/u] want, not what the crap guitarist wants.

[quote name='henry norton' post='600297' date='Sep 16 2009, 03:04 PM']There's no harm in time off. There's also no harm in selling on irrelevant gear (ie. an SVT and 8x10 for practising in your bedroom).[/quote]

haha. it is a little overkill. I wanted to dumb down from a Marshall VBA400 412 and ended up with a higher watt head and 610 cab. genius.

thanks for all the comments tho guys/gals. your probably right in not selling it all.

I did enjoy having band practice with my mates band last week before the bassist turned up so maybe i dont hate it, I just dont like playing with the 5-6 other people I jam with occasionally.

Gonna pack it all up for now and have a little break from it. Im off to do a snowboard season in the French Alps in november till april so might pick it back up then.

I dont understand music, I dont understand theory, I dont listen to much music and I do not have any sence of rythem

Perfect! We are looking for a new drummer and you have all the qualifications!

You need to find some other dudes to play with and inspire you. Stick an ad in your local rag or ad trader and look for someone to start a covers band with. You shouldn`t run down your abilities or lack of. I am the most basic bass player, okay at playing roots etc but as for fancy bass runs, forget it! I play in a covers band that is booked up till the new year and beyond up here in Glesga. So it can be done.

Don`t sell all your gear, you will regret it. You need someone to make you want to play again, so get out there and go for it!

Jez

Like everything else in life I think you get out what you put in. There are very few people who are naturally amazing at anything; it is a combination of desire/interest and hard work. You will always feel this way about anything if you give up so easily.

Why don't you have a couple of lessons with someone who knows what they are talking about? It will open doors and may re-ignite your passion for bass.

[quote name='Buzz' post='600326' date='Sep 16 2009, 03:22 PM']Have you had lessons?

You might need a bit of a punt by a teacher to help you, not only will they make sure you can play properly (technique is a learned behavour) but they'll help you develop your muscial skills as well.[/quote]

had 2 lessons last year, he said my technique was spot (1 finger per fret and clasical grip, movable anchor on plucking hand) its just my theory that sucked. he just ran me thru what I had learnt for free on studybass.com and some scales n stuff. But he wasnt teaching me anything I really wanted, I went there to learn how to go about improv. Bought 3 books on improv which are terrible too.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600237' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:20 PM']II cant write my own stuff unless you count roots, 3rds and 5ths so why do I have all this gear?[/quote]

You also have to put your notes into the song. I have seen some very technically able bassists whose playing imo doesnt fir the song. if you are in a covers band, there are many songs where a root and 5th approach is appropriate to the song.
There are others where something a little more adventurous is required.

The best players are those whose playing complements the song. Play those roots and fiths, and find some other songs where you can stretch your playing.

I do a lot of practise using midi files using cakewalk with the bass off. I can slow down or repeat ad infinitum a part that I have difficulty with. The midi files are often a bit suspect but its another tool to help stop you getting bored

[£60 for your shuker ]

Edited by bumnote

I gave up for 18 years. I wouldn't recommend it.

All that time I wasted on work, motorbikes, mortgages, girlfriends and wives could have been better spent on rock n roll debauchery. Plus I might actually be able to play bass properly by now.

£61 for the Shuker.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='bumnote' post='600351' date='Sep 16 2009, 03:40 PM']I do a lot of practise using midi files using cakewalk with the bass off. I can slow down or repeat ad infinitum a part that I have difficulty with. The midi files are often a bit suspect but its another tool to help stop you getting bored

[£60 for your shuker ][/quote]

I do a similer thing with guitar pro 5. helped me learn a ton of stuff that way and get the timing right etc. well all but YYZ by rush. ive spent weeks on that song over the years and I can play about a minuite of it (badly)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600369' date='Sep 16 2009, 03:52 PM']I do a similer thing with guitar pro 5. helped me learn a ton of stuff that way and get the timing right etc. well all but YYZ by rush. ive spent weeks on that song over the years and I can play about a minuite of it (badly)[/quote]

Sometimes you just have to accept that you may not YET be able to play a song.

Being in a band is more than playing your instrument. Its about being with people you like/or not having fun, but the best bit is the adrenaline buzz when youve played something well in front of an audience, or you seel them leaping about, the two are not always necessarily the same