Why become a member? ×

Old band reunion? Bad idea?

Mikey R

Hey everyone,

My old band split round about 2000, after reforming to do one last gig - it was a chance to support and hang out with one of our greatest influences, so it was a no brainer.

Now, 9 years on, theres mublings of doing another gig for old times sake.

But I can see a few problems looming:
1) We only ever recorded a handful of songs, and I doubt any of us can remember the rest.
2) The vocalist sugested that we write some more. This may be well over the level of comitment I would want to make, and seems pointless for a one off gig.
3) Who would come see us? Any old fans would be uninterested in hearing new music, new fans wouldnt want to see old farts doing old music. :)
4) The vocalist is hard work.
5) They are all down the other end of the country.
6) We've all grown up alot and moved on in the mean time.

Has anyone else found themselves in this situation? Did you go through with it, and how did you deal with it?

I did it in 2005, and was really glad that I did.
We got back together to celebrate what would have been Chris our guitarists 40th birthday - he died from a brain tumour in 2001.
I left the band in less than amiable circumstances around 1992, and the reunion gave us all a chance to put some bad stuff aside (albeit temporarily with regard to one particular member) and remember Chris in a way we and his wife & children thought was appropriate.
We had three rehearsals which went really well, and we ended up writing a song that was, in my opinion, the best thing we ever wrote.
The gig itself was very emotional, especially for the guy that stood in for Chris on the guitar - he had replaced me on bass in the band & had been a good friend of Chris since school.
We played really well & the crowd, which was full of people who used to follow us years ago, loved it. It was very special & something of a surprise to hear people singing along with songs I hadn't played for over a decade.
Chris's wife & daughter loved it & it was great to reconnect with some old friends.

Ive played on a number of occasions two of my old bands where we reformed for a night or a charity gig.

They were old covers so some gigs we rehearsed for but some we didnt. In one case I drove a 250 mile round trip for a rehearsal and again for the gig.

Its only worth it if you are going to get some return out of it. If you are all mates and have a good time, and enjoy it, then why not.
If the singers a pain, or you dont want to put the effort in, why bother.

Im in the fortunate position that I get on pretty much most of the time with the others I play with. If I didnt, I would stay at home or join or form another band.

Unless you are earning a living from it, why put yourself through grief

Not quite a reunion.

I was in a band called the Blues Crew in the late 80's but the frontman - Pete - died , sadly.

Fast Forward to late 90's and the early incarnation of Dr Blue - my current band. We bumped into Pete's widow at a gig and she ended up marrying our guitar player just a few months later. We then sacked our drummer and replaced him for a while with the drummer from the Blues Crew. As a result of Our guitarist's marriage we got to know Pete's son , now all grown up and home from college and he started playing harmonica with us as his father had with the Blues Crew. For one gig only the Blues Crew's guitarist joined us on stage.

As close as we'll get barring reincarnation.

I've also had a few stints in a rock band called Optic Nerve - my first band. I've rejoined a couple of times - once with the original drummer - but the guitarist and I always end up knocking lumps off each other so it never lasts long.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='600036' date='Sep 16 2009, 11:41 AM']Not quite a reunion.

I was in a band called the Blues Crew in the late 80's but the frontman - Pete - died , sadly.

Fast Forward to late 90's and the early incarnation of Dr Blue - my current band. We bumped into Pete's widow at a gig and she ended up marrying our guitar player just a few months later. We then sacked our drummer and replaced him for a while with the drummer from the Blues Crew. As a result of Our guitarist's marriage we got to know Pete's son , now all grown up and home from college and he started playing harmonica with us as his father had with the Blues Crew. For one gig only the Blues Crew's guitarist joined us on stage.

As close as we'll get barring reincarnation.

...[/quote]

And I think that's where the BLues Crew's guitarist met Welsh T... And we all know what happened then!

But on to reunions.

I had a busy time in the mid 90s with a band called The Roosters. They were a Martini band (would play anytime anyplace anywhere - and did to the extent that for a couple of years we were getting close to 4 gigs a week.

Growning family and career commitments (their's not mine!) meant that level of playing wasn't sustainable and it kind of imploded on us.

After that the singer, guitarist and me would do the occaisional acoustic trio gig, garden parties, bbqs weddings etc. Then we suddenly realised that nearly 10 years had passed since we'd done a live recording for a CD back in the day.

'I know', says the singer, 'lets get a band together for a one-off gig... same venue as near 10 years after the date as possible. You can organise all that can't you Dave!'

I'd continued to be as busy a bass player as possible after the band fell apart originally so had plenty of mates I could call on to do this one off gig. So I got a drummer in and keyboard player. Booked the venue. Tried to get a bit of a buzz going locally so the venue wouldn't be completely be empty.

On the night it was packed - and we got the offer of gigs at three other venues that night.

And we're still doing a couple of gigs a month or so. And thankfully because I organise em they don't clash with my Welsh T Band work!

[quote name='RhysP' post='600033' date='Sep 16 2009, 11:38 AM']I did it in 2005, and was really glad that I did.
We got back together to celebrate what would have been Chris our guitarists 40th birthday - he died from a brain tumour in 2001.
I left the band in less than amiable circumstances around 1992, and the reunion gave us all a chance to put some bad stuff aside (albeit temporarily with regard to one particular member) and remember Chris in a way we and his wife & children thought was appropriate.
We had three rehearsals which went really well, and we ended up writing a song that was, in my opinion, the best thing we ever wrote.
The gig itself was very emotional, especially for the guy that stood in for Chris on the guitar - he had replaced me on bass in the band & had been a good friend of Chris since school.
We played really well & the crowd, which was full of people who used to follow us years ago, loved it. It was very special & something of a surprise to hear people singing along with songs I hadn't played for over a decade.
Chris's wife & daughter loved it & it was great to reconnect with some old friends.[/quote]

A very touching story!

Ha...

I'm in the midst of a reunion right now. I was the singer in a metal band in the 80's. We did the Friday Rock show on Radio 1 in '86, and dear old Tommy Vance was very kind with his compliments.

It came to an end in the late 80's for various reasons, and we went our separate ways.

20 years later, we all got together for a drink and to reminisce about old times. It was great to see the boys again, and of course it ended up with a jam arranged.

The bass player hadn't touched a bass since our last gig 20 years before, so it was rusty, but the bones were still there, and I could still hit the notes too which was a bonus.

It's been great fun, and we plan to do a one off gig later in the year, just to let our kids come and take the piss out of their old dads wearing spandex again.

As long as it's seen just as a fun thing, without any pressure, I'd highly recommend it.

The band I was in at school did a 30 year reunion a few years ago. We managed to find the original set lists and horn arrangements and after a week's rehearsal we did several gigs. It worked so well that we did the whole thing again a year later. We had a great band back then; The Blues Brothers without the shades but 10 years earlier.

Unfortunately we've had a death in the band since so I don't think there'll be any more gigs. We found some great photos and the drummer is working on a website!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='600159' date='Sep 16 2009, 01:18 PM']And I think that's where the BLues Crew's guitarist met Welsh T... And we all know what happened then!

But on to reunions.

I had a busy time in the mid 90s with a band called The Roosters. They were a Martini band (would play anytime anyplace anywhere - and did to the extent that for a couple of years we were getting close to 4 gigs a week.

Growning family and career commitments (their's not mine!) meant that level of playing wasn't sustainable and it kind of imploded on us.

After that the singer, guitarist and me would do the occaisional acoustic trio gig, garden parties, bbqs weddings etc. Then we suddenly realised that nearly 10 years had passed since we'd done a live recording for a CD back in the day.

'I know', says the singer, 'lets get a band together for a one-off gig... same venue as near 10 years after the date as possible. You can organise all that can't you Dave!'

I'd continued to be as busy a bass player as possible after the band fell apart originally so had plenty of mates I could call on to do this one off gig. So I got a drummer in and keyboard player. Booked the venue. Tried to get a bit of a buzz going locally so the venue wouldn't be completely be empty.

On the night it was packed - and we got the offer of gigs at three other venues that night.

And we're still doing a couple of gigs a month or so. And thankfully because I organise em they don't clash with my Welsh T Band work![/quote]

I often think the Blues Crew/Dr Blue/Roosters/Welsh T saga would make a good rock family tree!!

We've had both Welshy and Rooster's drummer help us out this year - I know you used Mick and Tony before Graham. Rod and I have both done Welsh T gigs - not forgetting the infamous Dr Welsh ' I've just bought another Boogie and he's just bought a Rivera ' street fight in York last year. I often wish you'd have done that one and me your ceiligh band that night then you'd have had to try and control that pair of noisy sods instead of me!!!

BTW - all the best at DNE. I'm on hol. from tomorrow or I'd def. have been there. Get your fee up front from the bits of gossip I hear!!

I've met up with old bands and the ego of the singer (for example) suddenly doesn't matter. I think when it's longer term the old cracks start to appear but for one offs it usually winds up being a laugh. We did some reunion recording which was more fun then gigging. I don't think you'll ever recapture old glories as often singers haven't sung for years etc but it's worth it for having a laugh.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='600269' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:50 PM']I often think the Blues Crew/Dr Blue/Roosters/Welsh T saga would make a good rock family tree!!

We've had both Welshy and Rooster's drummer help us out this year - I know you used Mick and Tony before Graham. Rod and I have both done Welsh T gigs - not forgetting the infamous Dr Welsh ' I've just bought another Boogie and he's just bought a Rivera ' street fight in York last year. I often wish you'd have done that one and me your ceiligh band that night then you'd have had to try and control that pair of noisy sods instead of me!!!

BTW - all the best at DNE. I'm on hol. from tomorrow or I'd def. have been there. Get your fee up front from the bits of gossip I hear!![/quote]

Ha - yes Dave - now that would be a project and a half to do the rock family tree. I think I liked the way that York gig turned out!

Yeah thanks for the nudge on DNE - I'd heard the same but it's a gig worth doing for other reasons to be honest.

Have a good hol!

Not fan of this idea in general..

Lots a effort for a 'maybe' return, and it also depends how or if the guys involved have developed..

Getting the drums out of the garage after a few years of downtime sounds a very bad idea ot me....
If anyone is worth playing with, then you'd meet them on a gig sometime later anyway....

If guys have continued to be active, then maybe... but for nostalgic reasons only, a defo NO...IMV..

[quote name='JTUK' post='600635' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:40 PM']Not fan of this idea in general..

Lots a effort for a 'maybe' return, and it also depends how or if the guys involved have developed..

Getting the drums out of the garage after a few years of downtime sounds a very bad idea ot me....
If anyone is worth playing with, then you'd meet them on a gig sometime later anyway....

If guys have continued to be active, then maybe... but for nostalgic reasons only, a defo NO...IMV..[/quote]
I kind of agree - despite being near-geriatric, I've only been in 2 previous bands that were worth a damn, in terms of either writing or gigging, and my current band honestly pi$$es all over both of them. Can't think why I'd be particularly interested in re-forming either.

That said the other members were all excellent musicians & good mates and I'd consider working on different projects with any of them.

Jon.

• 1 month later...

I gave my old guitarist a call yesterday evening and told him Im not interested - esecially as they were planning on writing a whole new set and touring it around the south east :)

I also had a chat with the drummer, and told him my reasons. It turns out we both had the same reservations, so thats good.

Both are top blokes and I would love to work with either of them again, if they also wanted to move to Yorkshire. :rolleyes: Im pleased Ive managed to get this sorted without losing any friends.

Cheers to everyone for the advice.