Why become a member? ×

Line6 M9

nash

Not bought from America, I need it quicker than that, so taken the hit on the extra money it'll cost :)

Still comes through a courier though apparently.

While I'm remembering though, I just need a USB to MIDI cable to update the M9 using Monkey, right? Any standard USB to MIDI cable will work fine, I'm assuming?

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Finbar' post='628949' date='Oct 17 2009, 07:07 PM']Not bought from America, I need it quicker than that, so taken the hit on the extra money it'll cost :)

Still comes through a courier though apparently.

While I'm remembering though, I just need a USB to MIDI cable to update the M9 using Monkey, right? Any standard USB to MIDI cable will work fine, I'm assuming?[/quote]

I've just bought a MIDI to USB cable from amazon for - I think it was 10.99 for updating my TC G Major 2 - it works just fine - no drivers required.
[edit]
this one [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Adaptor-Musical-Keyboard-Laptop/dp/B002MXP6YS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255812716&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Adaptor-Musi...2716&sr=8-2[/url]

;o) Hope that helps matey!

[quote name='Finbar' post='628922' date='Oct 17 2009, 06:37 PM']I work for Royal Mail, where next day is actually next day (or supposed to be, before anyone pipes up :rolleyes:), Saturday or not. It doesn't cost more to deliver on a Saturday does it.[/quote]
What's the £2.20 RM Special Delivery surcharge for guaranteed Saturday delivery about then? :)

Yup! In a devastatingly oversized box. Could have got about 10 M9s in it!

Initial impressions on going through the presets and tweaking things here and there are that the filters/synths are neat, the delays and reverbs are excellent as expected, modulation is strong, but not found a drive sound I'm liking too much yet. Thinking not selling my drive pedals may prove to be a good move. More experimentation to follow as I try and configure it to be giggable - probably going to need to spread across two scenes at least.

The tuner is nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, but the readout for it is too small to be that useful for quick reference at gigs I think. Will probably still keep my tuner pedal in a tuner out from a volume pedal.

Plus how lush is the particle verb? :)

Edited by Finbar

Been a bit busy of late, life is very hectic, so still not had chance to have a good play with this

Still not updated the firmware, so not got stuff like the octaver yet

I did take it to rehersal last night, hit one of the tube overdrive models, sounded fine, worked very well, had to adjust the level and drive, but worked fine on bass

Got a bit of time before next gig on sunday so will try and get some more time on it, but having a noodle at home is fine, getting out with a screaming guitarist and a hard hitting drummer is the only well to tell if it really is what I'm hoping it is!

T

A couple of questions for those of you that already have this. What are the dimensions of it, how would it fit on a pedaltrain jnr?
A long shot but, I know that the diago power supply can power the DL4 and FM4 etc, but can it supply the M9 or is the power supply for it similar to the PODXT.
Also, from the line6 website it looks like you can have three effects active at one time so if i had the effects put into slots:
____1_______2__________3
B Octave--Whammy--Envelope Filter

A Phaser-----Wha---------Delay

am i right in thinking that I can only have a combination of 1 2 and 3 so if i had octave->wha->Delay
if i wanted to add the phaser i would have to switch off the the octave? But i guess to get around this if i wanted to have the octave and phaser on at the same time i would use the scenes selection to have a scene with the octave and phaser in different numbered banks right?

Edit: one more thing, how do you connect up an ernie ball volume pedal to the expression input, it looks like the official EX1 pedal is just a simple 1 TS jack input where as the volume pedals have a jack in and jack out.

Edited by oddjob

Just updated my firmware last night and gave it a bash - I like the little things they've added in, like the heel/toe pixels and the relative pots, but they weren't essential. However, I'm left slightly unimpressed by the octaver :)

Got some good drive sounds out of it to my surprise! 3 or 4 of them really work well I think with a bit of tweaking. Still nothing I prefer to my stomps though. The filters and delays etc are very nice and am happy to replace my pedals with them.

I'm also very impressed with having a separate noise gate for each scene, and a really good noise gate at that! One of the biggest surprises about the unit for me :rolleyes:

[quote name='oddjob' post='633450' date='Oct 22 2009, 02:21 PM']A couple of questions for those of you that already have this. What are the dimensions of it, how would it fit on a pedaltrain jnr?[/quote]
Go and look in the stickied pedalboards thread - tayste's one is in there and on a pedaltrain jnr or mini (I forget which one!)
[quote]A long shot but, I know that the diago power supply can power the DL4 and FM4 etc, but can it supply the M9 or is the power supply for it similar to the PODXT.[/quote]
No, you need a dedicated power supply AFAIK. Pain in the arse, still trying to find a way round it!
[quote]Also, from the line6 website it looks like you can have three effects active at one time so if i had the effects put into slots:
____1_______2__________3
B Octave--Whammy--Envelope Filter

A Phaser-----Wha---------Delay

am i right in thinking that I can only have a combination of 1 2 and 3 so if i had octave->wha->Delay
if i wanted to add the phaser i would have to switch off the the octave? But i guess to get around this if i wanted to have the octave and phaser on at the same time i would use the scenes selection to have a scene with the octave and phaser in different numbered banks right?[/quote]
You are correct.

[quote]Edit: one more thing, how do you connect up an ernie ball volume pedal to the expression input, it looks like the official EX1 pedal is just a simple 1 TS jack input where as the volume pedals have a jack in and jack out.[/quote]
Connect a regular patch lead between the expression pedal input on the M9, and the output jack of the EB pedal.

Just a quick question about a tremolo on there. Can an expression pedal be used to control the depth? And when the pedal is back at the heel position, would this just give you your normal clean bass tone or would it still be a weak tremolo?

[quote name='deej' post='635797' date='Oct 25 2009, 12:29 AM']Just a quick question about a tremolo on there. Can an expression pedal be used to control the depth? And when the pedal is back at the heel position, would this just give you your normal clean bass tone or would it still be a weak tremolo?[/quote]

The expression pedal can control any parameter of any fx and can control more than one at a time, so say in heel position you have reduced the depth (bare in mind you set the max and min so it could be 20% and 80% not just all or nothing), but say you found this a bit thin sounding you could also have it reduce the mix to put more of your original signal in to thicken it up.

[quote name='Finbar' post='633574' date='Oct 22 2009, 04:56 PM']Just updated my firmware last night and gave it a bash - I like the little things they've added in, like the heel/toe pixels and the relative pots, but they weren't essential. However, I'm left slightly unimpressed by the octaver :)

Got some good drive sounds out of it to my surprise! 3 or 4 of them really work well I think with a bit of tweaking. Still nothing I prefer to my stomps though. The filters and delays etc are very nice and am happy to replace my pedals with them.

I'm also very impressed with having a separate noise gate for each scene, and a really good noise gate at that! One of the biggest surprises about the unit for me :rolleyes:

Go and look in the stickied pedalboards thread - tayste's one is in there and on a pedaltrain jnr or mini (I forget which one!)

No, you need a dedicated power supply AFAIK. Pain in the arse, still trying to find a way round it!

You are correct.

Connect a regular patch lead between the expression pedal input on the M9, and the output jack of the EB pedal.[/quote]

My M9 is on a PT Mini, if you put it on a Jr you'd get it and eb vol pedal and 3 other fx on there, it is shockingly small pretty much the size of a xx4 series pedal.

What didn't you like about the octaver? Bare in mind there are 6 octaver/pitch shifting options (ish) in this pedal, personally I love them all.

I was playing to my band today and added a 5th up to what i was playing, sounded great. I really love the M9 even more than the M13

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='635801' date='Oct 24 2009, 11:40 PM']The expression pedal can control any parameter of any fx and can control more than one at a time, so say in heel position you have reduced the depth (bare in mind you set the max and min so it could be 20% and 80% not just all or nothing), but say you found this a bit thin sounding you could also have it reduce the mix to put more of your original signal in to thicken it up.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, sounds exactly what I want. Ive just gotta get some money together now and I'll be buying this for sure. Roll on pay day!

• 2 weeks later...

After a fairly hectic schedule over the last few weeks, this weekend saw a chnace to have a good look at the M9, first thing to do was update the firmware!

COMPUTER SAYS NO!

What a nightmare!!! spoke to Tayste, his went ahead no problem, but I have a very different story

Installed Monkey (latest version, 1.31) on laptop, asked me to regsister product, which I did. Tried again, still asked me to register product, got directed to product registration page where I could see my M9 already registered! Got stuck here, can't past this!

Installed Monkey on G5, still same problem, midi interface working, but monkey not seeing M9

Went to guitarists house last night, his PC is being used with several line 6 products including M13 and X3 over midi

Still got the same problem, cant get past registration even though it is registered

Played with a Line 6 supported artist last night, he was also pissed off with updating his M9, but he got it to work, he suggested calling Line 6 direct, will see how I get on with this today cos right now, I cant see a way forward

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='649427' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:48 AM']After a fairly hectic schedule over the last few weeks, this weekend saw a chnace to have a good look at the M9, first thing to do was update the firmware!

COMPUTER SAYS NO!

What a nightmare!!! spoke to Tayste, his went ahead no problem, but I have a very different story

Installed Monkey (latest version, 1.31) on laptop, asked me to regsister product, which I did. Tried again, still asked me to register product, got directed to product registration page where I could see my M9 already registered! Got stuck here, can't past this!

Installed Monkey on G5, still same problem, midi interface working, but monkey not seeing M9

Went to guitarists house last night, his PC is being used with several line 6 products including M13 and X3 over midi

Still got the same problem, cant get past registration even though it is registered

Played with a Line 6 supported artist last night, he was also pissed off with updating his M9, but he got it to work, he suggested calling Line 6 direct, will see how I get on with this today cos right now, I cant see a way forward

Tony[/quote]

I feel your pain - I bought the usb midi cable saturday and it took over 100 attempts, a bunch of updated midi drivers and 3 different pc's before I got it to update - and even then I felt there was a lot of luck involved.

Looking at the forum a lot of people found updating to the latest midi driver for the midi interface seem to help - have you tried that?

This was the worst nightmare of an upgrade I've ever experienced. The problem is that once it has started it has wiped the M9's original firmware and therefore renders the machine unusable (impossible to even do a factory reset) until the update has completed successfully.
Line 6 support is by forum posting and not very impressive. We managed to update both mine and Burno's M9's in the end but overall it had probably taken 6 to 7 hours of testing with no definitive answer as to why it finally worked. I won't be in a hurry to upgrade it again !

[quote name='burno70' post='649547' date='Nov 9 2009, 11:47 AM']I feel your pain - I bought the usb midi cable saturday and it took over 100 attempts, a bunch of updated midi drivers and 3 different pc's before I got it to update - and even then I felt there was a lot of luck involved.

Looking at the forum a lot of people found updating to the latest midi driver for the midi interface seem to help - have you tried that?[/quote]

[quote name='edstraker123' post='649594' date='Nov 9 2009, 01:26 PM']This was the worst nightmare of an upgrade I've ever experienced. The problem is that once it has started it has wiped the M9's original firmware and therefore renders the machine unusable (impossible to even do a factory reset) until the update has completed successfully.
Line 6 support is by forum posting and not very impressive. We managed to update both mine and Burno's M9's in the end but overall it had probably taken 6 to 7 hours of testing with no definitive answer as to why it finally worked. I won't be in a hurry to upgrade it again ![/quote]

I feel for you, being in that awful situation with a Line 6 product. Line 6's support is appalling/non-existent. Every serious problem I had with POD Farm or Toneport was solved by myself after many hours trailing the web for answers, while a post on their forums would bear no results what-so-ever. You can call them direct? That's news! I doubt you'd get any results from that though...

Sshorepunk, just re-read your previous post - is Monkey not seeing the M9 at all or not seeing the registed M9? You don't have to register the item, just continue with the installation regardless. It was after this stage, whilst the update was going ahead, that I ran into difficulty.

I checked the midi drivers, all up to date

I skipped the registration process and still get the same message

[i][b]M9 update failed

(code 800000A) An undefined error occured:

Try the update again, making sure midi cables are still connected[/b][/i]

Fed up of trying this!

Tony

I got that error before.

I know it's schoolboy stuff, but is the power supply plugged in and turned on? The M9 will light with a blank red screen when it is plugged into the computer by MIDI cables, but it is not on and ready to accept the update. The power must also be on.

Also, the MIDI cable connection can be a bit funny if you haven't used them before. Connect the MIDI cable marked IN to the OUT on the M9 and the cable marked OUT to the IN of the M9. Seems a bit backwards, doesn't it?

Sorry if that's a bit patronising, just worked for me when I had the problem :)