Why become a member? ×

Bass Horror

Darcy

[quote name='Soundgoduk' post='64852' date='Sep 24 2007, 04:54 PM']Hi all

Thanks for the verbal... lets set a few things straight...

-The bass had just been bought by one of the staff doing the 'relicing'
-We knew it was a mexican and not an american.... and all about the routing differences
-It was not a request from a customer and we would never do this to a customers bass for money
-The member of staff in question prefered the finished article
-It was a lot of fun to do and we were taking the p@ss "trying to make it look like Jaco's"

If any of you fancy a real relic.. we've got a lovely custom shop one in...

Cheers

..... you may now resume the abuse[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. You can surely understand the reaction though?

I could maybe understand the reaction if we had broken the neck off a real 70's jazz and laughed that other one we had was now more valuable because there were now less of them in the world ... but chipping the paint off a brand new mass produced mexican?

Edited by Soundgoduk

If you honestly believe putting that video on youtube would get you more business then you and I have completely opposite ideas of how to sell yourself.

I said thanks for your explanation because it shows there was no real harm done at all.

EDIT: But until we had that information, all we had was a video of what appeared to be lunatics hacking away at a new bass and laughing at all the damage caused.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='Wil' post='64865' date='Sep 24 2007, 05:08 PM']I can't understand the reaction either Soundgoduk, to be honest. I can think of far worse things to get up in arms about![/quote]

After seeing that video did you think "damn, for my next purchase I really must order something from them"?

[quote name='The Funk' post='64867' date='Sep 24 2007, 05:12 PM']After seeing that video did you think "damn, for my next purchase I really must order something from them"?[/quote]

No, I thought about having a cup of tea. That's it you see, I didn't really care what these guys were doing with their bass. Obviously the treatment being given to that bass was either a request or an experiement on something already bought - either way it wouldnt affect buying something from there.

[quote name='Wil' post='64872' date='Sep 24 2007, 05:16 PM']I didn't really care what these guys were doing with their bass.[/quote]

Ah, well you're one of the few people who found it obvious that this was their bass. To me it looked like it wasn't.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='64874' date='Sep 24 2007, 05:16 PM']FWIW, I think it's a little unfair to be put a business's reputation on the line like this when we don't know the exact circumstances.[/quote]

We've had an explanation now. I wanted to know which shop it was so that I as a consumer could opt not to shop there. Someone else found out which shop it was and told me in the thread. I think some of the youtube comments were over-the-top. I also think it was a daft business move to put that video - without any explanation - on youtube.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' date='Sep 24 2007, 05:24 PM' post='64882']
Ah, well you're one of the few people who found it obvious that this was their bass. To me it looked like it wasn't.
We've had an explanation now. I wanted to know which shop it was so that I as a consumer could opt not to shop there. Someone else found out which shop it was and told me in the thread. I think some of the youtube comments were over-the-top. I also think it was a daft business move to put that video - without any explanation - on youtube.
MB1. :)
+1

[quote name='The Funk' post='64882' date='Sep 24 2007, 05:24 PM']Ah, well you're one of the few people who found it obvious that this was their bass. To me it looked like it wasn't.
We've had an explanation now. I wanted to know which shop it was so that I as a consumer could opt not to shop there. Someone else found out which shop it was and told me in the thread. I think some of the youtube comments were over-the-top. I also think it was a daft business move to put that video - without any explanation - on youtube.[/quote]

The fact you had to ask on here which shop it was goes to show that it wasn't an advert for the shop. It was 'look at us having fun', not 'come to our shop and see what we'll do to your bass when you aren't looking'

[quote name='The Funk' date='Sep 24 2007, 05:44 PM' post='64898']
I stand by my reaction and my posts in this thread. I know the video wasn't an advert inviting people to shop there. But you can surely understand how people would see it and think "that's no way to treat a bass - f**k, I'm not shopping there".

Might wait till youve got a sale on! :huh:

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='64739' date='Sep 24 2007, 01:32 PM']I was working off that assumption as well. I am still suprised that the shop would be that eager to devalue one of their instruments, customers wishes or not.[/quote]

But by then it wasn't the shop's instrument, it was the customer's, even if that customer was a shop employee.

[quote name='MB1' post='64795' date='Sep 24 2007, 03:28 PM'][quote name='Clive Thorne' post='64676' date='Sep 24 2007, 12:02 PM']
Have they affected the playability of the instrument? NO.
Have they wrecked a rare vintage instrument ? NO
Have they given the customer what he wanted ? YES.

My own view is that either method is artificial, so why bother at all?
Clive[/quote]
Well Clive!..."Good Luck" selling your old bass!....
[/quote]

As I thought I'd implied, in the last sentence - its not something I'd do myself, I'm just defending others rights to do it if they want to.

[quote name='ARGH' post='64909' date='Sep 24 2007, 05:58 PM']Why does this whole thread make me think,the phrase "Who cares, some of you need to get out more"?

Its just an instrument....an object.

There are bigger things occurring in the world.[/quote]

I agree with that. The reason I commented was not because of what was being done to the bass, but because of the way the people were being slagged off for doing what they wanted to do, which after all did no harm to anyone.

Clive.

[quote name='ARGH' post='64909' date='Sep 24 2007, 05:58 PM']Why does this whole thread make me think,the phrase "Who cares, some of you need to get out more"?

I find myself agreeing with you again Ross - must be more careful. It might have helped had they made it clear it was a piss take on the whole "relic" scene people might not have got so upset - but then maybe they thought people would have the wit to work that out for themselves. :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='64931' date='Sep 24 2007, 06:33 PM']It might have helped had they made it clear it was a piss take on the whole "relic" scene people might not have got so upset - but then maybe they thought people would have the wit to work that out for themselves. :)[/quote]

No need to accuse the people in this thread of being dim wits.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='64738' date='Sep 24 2007, 01:31 PM']y'all need to be a little less judgemental.[/quote]

I don't think people were being judgmental, I think the general consensus on this forum is that it looks a bit sh*t.

This is a forum, where people discuss things.

[quote name='thumbo' post='64969' date='Sep 24 2007, 07:22 PM']I don't think people were being judgmental, I think the general consensus on this forum is that it looks a bit sh*t.
This is a forum, where people discuss things.[/quote]

Well, I got the impression that people were being very judgmental, which is why I contributed. If you look at the first 1/3 of this thread it is not people saying that it looks a bit sh*te, it is people calling the perputrators all sorts of rude names.

Strangely if you look at the latter half of the thread the overall tone seems to be defending the right of people to do this if they so desire. It seems that the accusers are very quick off the mark, whereas the defenders take a little longer to voice their opinions.

Clive.