Why become a member? ×

The Nightfly

Pete Academy

I think Donald Fagen used so many different musicians per album because he had the cash, had the clout and thought it was a cool attitude, but mostly because he just could.

I love listening to the great players he used. Tom Barney is my favourite, though! I don't think I'd like Fagen if I met him but I've still got most of his records.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='597297' date='Sep 13 2009, 01:10 PM']Yeah he's fussy and pedantic to the max, but I always thought that Walter Becker ( the Dan guitarist and writing partner for those that don't know) is one of the finest bassists (and best kept secrets) around. Great melodic, dynamic playing with lots of space and economy.[/quote]

Agreed, have you heard the bass, drums and vox mix of "Snowbound" from Kamikiriad with WB on bass? Superb!

[quote name='Mike' post='597426' date='Sep 13 2009, 03:38 PM']Agreed, have you heard the bass, drums and vox mix of "Snowbound" from Kamikiriad with WB on bass? Superb![/quote]

Becker's reggae-based solo albums are well worth a listen. He's a great bass player, and seems to favour a muted thumb sound. I love his playing on Dan's Jack Of Speed from Two Against Nature.

I think Walter is SDs most appropriate player he just does the the right thing for the music closely followed by Chuck Rainey, and that attribute is why Donald had all those guys on Nightfly, they were all just right for the track, Jackson on Ruby Baby is the epitome of accuracy with oodles of groove, the very slick New York session vibe of Marcus on Maxine, timelessly great feel and spirit on walk between the raindrops by Will Lee (who is a friend of a friend and just was made for the kitch of that chart) all those individual characteristics make each track a must have in the line up so if you have the budget why WOULDN'T you have those guys.
Schmendrick :)

*puts on Dan obsessive hat'

The feel of bass on The Nightfly is rather different to me, than say Gaucho or Aja, the albums that Fagen worked on before his solo debut. In terms of sound, the tone was mainly P-Basses that had a smooth, traditional sound but with The Nightfly, Jazzes seem to have come to fore, with much more aggressive tones - take the bass on the title track and I.G.Y - not the same as you find on Dan's past albums.

Maybe Fagen was looking to update the sound slightly for the 80s and choose different guys? Rainey was the only fellow used from Dan days - no Becker here. I think it's probably to the same philosophy to get the right player for the right track and they chose whoever did the best performance. However, I feel that the bass has quite a similar feel and style throughout the album, so maybe they could have found one person, but then it'd wouldn't be obsessive masterpiece?