Why become a member? ×

Switching to Bass from Guitar

paganskins

Hi,
I'm a long time guitarist (electric, acoustic 6 and 12 string) about to add bass as an additional feather to my bow, I'd welcome suggestions for books and other resources worth looking at.
Along with a couple of absolute beginners guides I picked up [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Bass-Ultimate-Guide-Fundamentals/dp/087930846X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252680389&sr=8-7"]this[/url] from the library, listening through the 150 odd MP3s on the accompanying CD looks like it should cover dexterity/coordination drills but doesn't seem to have a lot in the way of actual lines, grooves or how to put together your own.
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Guitar-Dummies-Will-Lee/dp/0764524879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252680531&sr=1-1"]Bass Guitar for Dummies[/url] and [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Handbook-Complete-Mastering-Guitar/dp/0879308729/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252680565&sr=1-2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Handbook-Comp...0565&sr=1-2[/url] seem to get pretty good reviews on amazon.
I also found [url="http://www.studybass.com/"]this[/url] at the top of a google search for 'bass guitar lessons'
Any advice gratefully received, thanks

I'd seriously get a few lessons. Most guitar players who switch to bass
play bass like a guitar player,with incorrect technique and most of all,with
the wrong mind-set.They tend to not think as a support/groove instrument and
more as a root/riff chugger. Don't look at it as a simpler version of the guitar,
treat it as a unique instrument with it's own idiosyncracies. You will get more out of it that way.
I know it's a generalisation,but I've seen it many times.

Thanks for your replies. The Clayton book looks interesting, the 8 week crash course book I've borrowed from the library is also one of his and looks to similar but quite heavilly abreviated.

[quote name='Doddy' post='595887' date='Sep 11 2009, 05:44 PM']Most guitar players who switch to bass play bass like a guitar player,with incorrect technique and most of all,with the wrong mind-set.They tend to not think as a support/groove instrument and more as a root/riff chugger. Don't look at it as a simpler version of the guitar, treat it as a unique instrument with it's own idiosyncracies. You will get more out of it that way.
I know it's a generalisation,but I've seen it many times.[/quote]

Fair comment and something I'm concious of. I'm not sure what the options are teacher wise locally but I'll look into it. However I don't think funds will stretch to lessons until the new year so in the meantime I'm stuck to working from books.

This might help too:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Bradley-Bass-For-Guitarists/dp/B001ARLPX8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1253038340&sr=8-4"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Bradley-Bass...8340&sr=8-4[/url]

I bought the Guitar for Bassists version for fun, and it was actually pretty good!

[quote name='Doddy' post='595887' date='Sep 11 2009, 05:44 PM']I'd seriously get a few lessons. Most guitar players who switch to bass
more as a root/riff chugger. Don't look at it as a simpler version of the guitar,
treat it as a unique instrument with it's own idiosyncracies. You will get more out of it that way.

+1. As a converted guitarist I waited about a year before taking some lessons. It is amazing the bad habits you take from guitar to Bass.
The lessons made a massive difference.

Try Funk Fusion Bass by Jon Liebman.
Don't be put off by the title, it is a great book going through Technique, Scales, Arpegios ets.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Doddy' post='595887' date='Sep 11 2009, 05:44 PM']I'd seriously get a few lessons. Most guitar players who switch to bass

I don't agree. I played guitar for 15 years, before switching solely to bass about 3 years ago.

The main thing is just to start playing some basslines and just seeing how you go. The main thing (as can be added to guitar playing) is to learn bass lines by ear - internet tab is killing musical ears!!

I've never attempted to play guitar on the bass. Although to be fair I consider myself a bassist who picked up the wrong instrument 15 years ago!! Just be aware that you may not go back to the guitar!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Liebman 'Funk fusion bass' - do not get confused with the title - this book gives you all you need to know about right hand technique. It helped me loads. I converted to bass a year ago after playing guitar for odd 20 years! I am currently gigging with a quality covers band. I found right hand plucking to be the biggest challenge after switching to bass guitar. Never had bass lessons - but asked loads of questions to bass players from my previous bands. Hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='609801' date='Sep 27 2009, 07:07 AM']I don't agree. I played guitar for 15 years, before switching solely to bass about 3 years ago.

The main thing is just to start playing some basslines and just seeing how you go. The main thing (as can be added to guitar playing) is to learn bass lines by ear - internet tab is killing musical ears!!

I've never attempted to play guitar on the bass. Although to be fair I consider myself a bassist who picked up the wrong instrument 15 years ago!! Just be aware that you may not go back to the guitar!!![/quote]

I agree with this 100%

I started on guitar when I was 10, when I was 19 I changed over the bass and joined a covers band, I played bass for 4 years and then went back to lead which I played up until about three years ago (I am 47 now)

I never had any problem converting, I learned classicaly so the finger technique never presented me with a problem.

You will pick it up very easily. If you have already played lead you will already know the neck and have the handspeed and technique its simply a matter of learning loads of bass lines which will give you a good idea of how they are structured within the music.

I have seen guitarists play the bass like a guitar but its generally because they are idiots

Just start listening to the groove instead of the solos

This.
[quote name='steve' post='596920' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:13 PM']have a listen to the bass in some of your favourite tracks and see if you can work out what they're playing[/quote]

When I moved over from guitar I suddenly discovered that my CD collection was twice the size it was previously because I was listening to it with bass player's ears.