Why become a member? ×

My Grandad's basses...

theosd

First is his 100 year old double bass... couldn't get a full picture as I was having to hold it as well as take pics on my fone, but you get the idea....

Second pics are of his '61 P and '63 J... Niiiiiice basses!!
I apologise for the poor picture quality, all taken on my fone!

[quote name='theosd' post='63564' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:20 PM']First is his 100 year old double bass... couldn't get a full picture as I was having to hold it as well as take pics on my fone, but you get the idea....

Second pics are of his '61 P and '63 J... Niiiiiice basses!!
I apologise for the poor picture quality, all taken on my fone![/quote]

Mate

If (when) you decide to do him in, I'll help in exchange for the P Bass!! :)

Lol! Well, actually me and my uncle have an arrangement. He gets the most valuable of his double basses (£20,000+, not shown in the pictures - it's almost 250 years old and in incredible condition) and I get the most valuable Electric (£5,000+). That'll do. =]

:)

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='63583' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:32 PM']I [b]WILL[/b] be a bass playing Grandad in March 2008.

How [b]SCARY[/b] is that?!?! :) :huh: :huh: :huh:

Sorry - back to topic. :huh:[/quote]

:huh:

Brilliant! Congrats... you gonna be active in getting the young'un onto bass before the evils of the 6 stringed beasts snatch him up??

[quote name='theosd' post='63580' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:30 PM']#

Um, it would be cool if he wasn't so miserable all the time!! ....[/quote]

surely its the [i]job[/i] of the bass player to be miserable?!! i certainly am, and i know a few others who are too! same applies to the grandad thing! i fully intend to be a right misery, moaning about the youth of today and attacking everything with my walking stick if (when?!) i get old!!!! it comes with the territory i reckon and should be applauded!!!

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='63599' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:51 PM']surely its the [i]job[/i] of the bass player to be miserable?!! i certainly am, and i know a few others who are too! same applies to the grandad thing! i fully intend to be a right misery, moaning about the youth of today and attacking everything with my walking stick if (when?!) i get old!!!! it comes with the territory i reckon and should be applauded!!!

peace

c[/quote]

You just described me perfectly!! Kind of a musical equivalent of Victor Meldrew. :) :huh:

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='63665' date='Sep 21 2007, 03:54 PM']How come your Grandad's not a member in these parts? He's some quality kit to tell us about and I'll bet he's a wealth of stories to recount based on his experiences. Go bully him into signing up.[/quote]

Sorry, but: No chance!! :)

[quote name='Machines' post='64267' date='Sep 23 2007, 07:18 AM']Some great stuff there - have you tried them out ?[/quote]

I've had a go (my only try EVER) on the upright in the pic and I've had a couple of tries with the Jazz, but the P is never normally out n about! I ought to go use them more often really the Jazz is an absolute DREAM to play.

[quote name='theosd' post='64552' date='Sep 23 2007, 11:10 PM']I've had a go (my only try EVER) on the upright in the pic and I've had a couple of tries with the Jazz, but the P is never normally out n about! I ought to go use them more often really the Jazz is an absolute DREAM to play.[/quote]

We have very long generations in our family .. I'f my son waits as long as I did before becoming a father my grand son will only start thinking bass is cool and my ancient Shukers extra cool (say 13~?) when I'm about 100 ....
I think I may have given up by then ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='63583' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:32 PM']I [b]WILL[/b] be a bass playing Grandad in March 2008.

How [b]SCARY[/b] is that?!?! :) :huh: :huh: :huh:

Sorry - back to topic. :huh:[/quote]

I've been a bass playing Grandad for 2-years now. The Pink Jazz is already earmarked for my grandaughter.

Sorry - back to topic.

Lovely story. My grandad is miserable old git and insists that he is leaving me his musical armoury. He plays the 'kin accordian!!!!!!!!!! I'll be up to my boxxocks in the things.

Wanna trade Grandads?

Apart from their choice of instrument they seem quite similar. I'll chuck in a set of strings for that nice MM of yours :)

If your ever lookin for an accordian...................................

Edited by Voodoosnake