Why become a member? ×

What could this honey be worth ??

tischbein

[quote name='tischbein' post='594029' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:51 PM']

1978 Jazz in cherryburst. All original. Straight A neck, frets good, nitro laquer has some wear, few ding-dongs. F***ing amazing tone.
Thanx for any help.[/quote]

Don't know, but it is a beauty...

[quote name='tischbein' post='594767' date='Sep 10 2009, 02:30 PM']It´s def. nitro laquer and it´s a 78 in cherryburst... no 80s. Serial number says April 1978. So the cherry burst 2 years early. :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sorry to be controversial here [u]but[/u] - I would rather have an eighties Fender than a late seventies model. The weight issue alone would sort it for me. I also lived through the 70s and nobody liked 70s Fenders because they weren't very well made. Quality control was out the window. OK some made it through and this bass may be one of them but it's laughable how 70 Fenders are worshipped. Late 70s basses and guitars used to be as cheap as chips until some clever folk hyped up the market and made a lot of money. When Bill Schultz became president at Fender in 1981 the first thing he did was abandon the awful three-bolt neck. Quality was an issue once again and things took a big step in 82 when the first reisssues started to be made and a standard line of Jazzes and Precisions were introduced (white pickup models). I am sure this bass is a nice instrument but let's not assume that the 70s were a golden era and the 80s for some reason weren't. In my opinion the 70s was the dark time.

... must have had a difficult childhood, mate... :) :rolleyes:

Everything used to be cheap as chips.. and the Euro came along. This is no debate about 70s or 80s or whatever... every decade has it´s good and bad. You´ll find crappy 80s 7enders. Noadays the quality is sooooo nausiating, that you have to spent hours picking out one good one outta the bunch.. anf then it´s usually CIJ... I´m happy with the bursty 78 up top. Neckpocket A1, frets cool, etc... weighs a ton, but I like it that way. That´s all...

Edited by tischbein

Is it not a Sienna Burst, done a bit heavy handed or ageing a little darker?

Late 70's Jazz Basses go for anything between £900 and £2000, depends on what the buyer wants or depends on the mug buying it.

Depends on what you paid, and what you're expecting, as ever, these things are really worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. If it's as nice as you say and a decent player, i'd aim for £1500?

The lads at vintage and rare wanted £1195 for an '82, so god knows what some people are ready to pay!

I'm saying a dark Sienna though.

Hope you get what you need for it!

[quote name='YouMa' post='597739' date='Sep 13 2009, 09:43 PM']I think if fender just added blocks and binding to there modern standard jazz and moved the rear pickup to the 70s configuration they would make a killing.[/quote]

I agree, But some people just don't get it.

After all Black/Rosewood is still the staple of Mexi Jazz Bass Sales, or Arctic White. People are boring.

If they did the new Lake Placid Blue, Maple Neck with White Blocks and Binding, i'd buy 3. Just for the sake of it.