Why become a member? ×

Sent the wrong item 3 times

ped

[quote name='ped' post='621832' date='Oct 9 2009, 05:17 PM']Earlier Dawsons sent me this:

Hi Chris,

Just a quick update to let you know where we are at.
The blemished bass guitar has turned up at our office and the new one is still on order. We're hoping it will turn up early next week so as soon as it enters our warehouse I'll notify you and send it on its way.

Regards,

Having no idea what they were on about I replied to find they had sent the email to the 'Wrong Chris'

Then I was sent this:

"I believe you spoke to my colleague on Wednesday as I wasn't in, and now today its his turn not to be in. Did you discuss the options with him? I phoned up Roland, and apparently they have never sold this bass pickup kit (or at least not for a long time) hence why they kept sending through the wrong item. I have told our technical department so it should be off the system very soon and I can only apologise for not seeing this sooner (I would have expected our purchasing department to have spotted this but it must have been overlooked). It is unfortunately company policy not to give a refund until the item is back in our office which I hope you can understand so if you could let me know where we are at with regards to sorting out a collection for yourself then we can refund you as soon as possible."

To which I replied:

"Sorry alex but that is unacceptable. I have had six weeks wasted by Dawsons and I won't be sending either of the items back until I have a full refund. With the mail strikes at the moment I don't want to wait another few weeks until I get my money back.

You might nit be aware that I own the biggest bass guitar forum in Europe www.basschat.co.uk and our thousands of readers will be very interested in how I am treated in this matter"

And then my phone rang. Some bloke who said he simply wouldn't refund me until they had the stuff back. It's 'company policy' which I thought a little short sighted when they have wasted so much of my time and been utterly useless. I have always had to phone them, they don't check things before sending them on, etc.

So now I am stuck with the choice of sending them back myself, risking Royal Fail strikes and general incompetence or they can send TNT to pick them up as long as I can waste a day waiting for them which is impossible.

I mean - I understand the policy, totally, but when the f*** up is as long winded and completely-not-my-fault as this one, surely there should be some flexibility? No offer of any sort of compensation from them, not that I would risk accepting something (it could turn out to be anything), and a generally pretty rigid and non customer centric approach to the whole matter.

Make of this what you will - this is just my experience. Perhaps they are amazing most of the time, but I won't be going anywhere near them again.

ped[/quote]

Hi Ped,
Check out your consumer rights as I think distant selling laws state that you do not have to send the item back before a refund is issued. I think this can be done any time within 6 months of your original purchase.
Worth checking out.
Marc

I absolutely understand where you are coming from!

But would you give someone a refund without having first received the goods back?
At least you can be sure of the refund because the balls-up has been their fault, but to be honest, you're going to get the refund quicker if you just comply.

I suppose all this depends on whether this is a matter of wrong item/shop screw-up or principal to you. The former is my way, the latter is your way.......but which is quicker :)

Si

[quote name='ped' post='624345' date='Oct 12 2009, 08:04 PM']Thanks. Just had a quick look but couldn't see anything :0([/quote]

This seems to cover it ...

[b]When do I have to refund a consumer’s money if they cancel an order?[/b]
Regulation 14 requires that you make the refund as soon as possible after the consumer cancels, and at most within 30 days. You must refund the consumer’s money even if you have not yet collected the goods or had they returned to you by the consumer. You cannot insist on the goods being received by you before you make the refund.

[b]What specifically do I have to refund to the consumer if they cancel?[/b]
You must refund any money paid by or on behalf of the consumer in relation to the contract to the person who made the payment. This means the full price of the goods, or deposit or prepayment made, including the cost of delivery. This is because when a consumer buys from home, delivery of the goods is an essential part of the contract.

[url="http://www.netlawman.co.uk/info/distance-selling-refunds.php"]http://www.netlawman.co.uk/info/distance-selling-refunds.php[/url]

Dawsons should not expect you to return the items back to them under your own steam.
They should be offering to collect the items from you.
When returning goods, I would recommend you take note of any consignment numbers used by the couriers, so you can track the goods.
This can guard against the good old "We ain't had the stuff back yet mate" if they won't refund until the goods are back with them.
I can sort of understand that comment coming from retailers in this climate though, as many people do try to play the game and get refunds for stuff, but not return it.

I'm obviously not suggesting that is the case here!

In my experience Dawsons don't stock, and just don't generally understand Hi-Tech equipment.
They are good for overpriced accoustic guitars, and sheet music, and maybe a tambourine at a push.

I'd probably just go elsewhere in all honesty.
I don't "hate" Dawsons at all, I just wouldn't trust them with my time or money when considering any equipment that could be considered out of the ordinary or remotely hi end.

Edited by Wud

Do you remember (It might've been on bassworld) that thread about someone buying an amp from Dolphin?

I sent the link to the thread to one of their top guys and he came on here and presented his case, apologised and engaged in discussion with the purchaser to resolve the problem.

I would hope that Dawsons would do the same.

Dan

[quote name='ped' post='624468' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:00 PM']Yeah we discussed that possibility and I guess it's the only option.

Nice to see you on Sat :0)

ped[/quote]

Good to see you too man, I like your squelchy noises! :)

Sorted this yet? It does seem that the distant selling literature is on your side!

Si

Thanks guys. I have been pretty busy but will forward this info to the guy at Dawsons, who, to be fair, seems to be listening and a fair chap. Probably not his idea that he won't refund my money, but I absolutely refuse to comply with this particular policy.

Roland, on the other hand, are being fantastic.

ped

Just sent this:

Hi ********,

I have spoken to Roland who have confirmed the product is still in stock and being manufactured. I thought I would send you a link to the discussion of this issue on my website. It has just had 1000 unique views. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59858&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59858&hl=[/url]

I apologise if I I sound angry in the beginning but I am sure you can see my side of the argument, and you in particular have been a great help so far in correspondence.

I urge you to rethink your policy (paying particular attention to the section of that thread about my refund rights as a distance customer)

Please get back to me ASAP.

Many thanks
Christopher

[quote name='DanOwens' post='625377' date='Oct 13 2009, 07:25 PM']Do you remember (It might've been on bassworld) that thread about someone buying an amp from Dolphin?

I sent the link to the thread to one of their top guys and he came on here and presented his case, apologised and engaged in discussion with the purchaser to resolve the problem.

I would hope that Dawsons would do the same.

Dan[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
If Youre gonna buy an amp from a Dolphin? :)
...I wouldnt Trust a Dolphin as far as i could Throw one!...Sharks the lot of em! :lol:

Well guys, we have a breakthrough. Roland are sending me the item direct straight away and Dawsons are coming to get the other pickups from work tomorrow, and my original postage is being refunded.

Chalk one up for consumer rights!

ped

A good result for the consumer, certainly helped by your persistance. It's not good for Dawson's though and the fact that Roland are having to deliver direct so that it gets done correctly is a sign that lack of customer care and attention to detail is endemic throughout the Dawson's organisation. I for one will not be buying from them either by mail, or at their Altrincham shop when I visit family up there. After all this I hope the Roland box does what you want it to do.

I've long since dropped any interest in shopping there, although this is as much as a problem with Dawsons as it is with Ashdown.

Was wanting to buy a 5 fifteen combo, so went into the store in Liverpool where they had one. Told them I wanted to buy it, fine, and they plugged it in to see if it works. Wouldn't switch on. They fiddled about trying to change the fuse but it still didn't work.

So, I asked them to ring the Chester store to see if they had one. Turns out that they did. Asked them to check that it works and they said that it did.

Drove all the way down there, asked to buy the amp and I asked to see it working before I handed over the cash. They plugged it in and this one didn't work either.

And that kids is why I don't shop at Dawsons (or buy Ashdown products) :)

Oh. My. Word.

I got the pickup today. Guess what.

Here is an email I just sent to Dawson's and everyone I know at Roland:

----------------------------------------

Guys. I can't quite believe what has just happened. After going this evening to pick up a Roland GK-KITBG which I have tried and failed to order through Dawson's music twice now, I discover that I have, for the THIRD TIME, been sent the GUITAR version.

The lack of competence leaves me speechless. Three times in a row is quite unbelievable to say the least.

Can someone call me on ************** to explain what has happened, after 2.30 tomorrow afternoon. I also expect someone to go to the Roland warehouse, pick up the GK-KITBG and sent it to me priority by the weekend, by TNT. The item you just sent is on its way back and will be with you tomorrow.

Whilst this whole process is leaving me frankly bewildered, need I remind you that it is making extremely interesting and entertaining reading for the thousands of members of my website, the biggest in Europe of it's kind.

So, just to reiterate - I am a BASS PLAYER, so I have no need for the GUITAR kit. I need the BASS KIT, the GK-KIT-BG. here it is on your website: [url="http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=966&tab=Downloads"]http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productde...p;tab=Downloads[/url]

You have my address and my money (you have done for 6-9 weeks now, I have lost count) so I expect the correct item to be delivered to me ASAP.

I also expect a call from someone to explain to me why this has happened three times in a row.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Christopher Hiscocks
www.BASSchat.co.uk (I am a bass player)

--------------------------------------------------

This from a company who produced the V-bass??? Imagine what they could have come up with if they were able to read!

Just amazing.

Might I just add that this brings me to believe that Roland are at fault. Although Dawson's could have checked the item before sending it on to me twice in a row... but still... sort it out, Roland. Put someone who can read in the warehouse.