Why become a member? ×

Trying out basses in shops

retroman

Hi Peeps,

I always read peoples reviews of different basses on this forum with interest. Quite often I have read comments along the lines of "I tried this bass, was really excited, tone was poor, not worth the £2K price tag"

My main concern is perhaps it would be an idea to post up what amp you tried the bass through? We all have huge preferences of Amplifier manufacturers, and types, and, to be honest, £6K worth of Alembic could sound rubbish if put through a little 10W practice combo :)

Also, might be an idea to post up how you played it, Slap, Fingers, Pick, etc, as this also effects the tone.

Just a thought, as a lot of people read this forum, and I feel it would allow people to draw a broader opinion of the comments made about the bass.

Whats Ya Thoughts? :rolleyes:

It's a valid point and i guess I agree to some extent, but even thru a cheap amp you should be able to tell a better quality tone of a well-built quality instrument from a poor ply chinese copy. It really depends what the personal benchmark is that you are comparing against, then it less depends on playing style, but of course the over-riding thing is personal tastes as well as expectations.
When I was 14 and went into a guitar shop to have a strum on a real Strat for the first time I was disappointed as I expected to be able to play and sound like Ritchie Blackmore. What a letdown! Never got on with strats from that point!

Edited by Al Heeley

Both Dave at Electro Music & Alex at the Gallery usually plug you into something decent like a MarkBass rig.

Only place I've ever had issues with a crap amp for demoing a bass has been the Music Inn in Nottingham where they always plug you into £25 worth of amp to play £2k worth of bass, LOL!

Apart from that, I've always been pleasantly surprised. Especially at Pooles in Grimsby near me where they always find the best amp in the place to plug you into. :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='590431' date='Sep 5 2009, 10:06 AM']I never plug a bass in when I'm trying one in a shop. If I still like the feel of it after 10 mins I'll ask for an amp then. I probably have less than a 10% "plug in" rate. I wish more players didn't make such a racket in shops!![/quote]
I'd say that's a very good approach. If it's no good to you unplugged it's probably no good at all.

[quote name='chris_b' post='590431' date='Sep 5 2009, 10:06 AM']I never plug a bass in when I'm trying one in a shop. If I still like the feel of it after 10 mins I'll ask for an amp then. I probably have less than a 10% "plug in" rate. I wish more players didn't make such a racket in shops!![/quote]

+1. As soon as I "plug in" I turn the volume knob all the way down, so I can concentrate on how it feels and listen out of any possible setup problems.

you need time to get used to a bass unless its one you are playing and are doing an A/B
as for price comparison versus playability
look to see why the price is high
could be nothing to do with your ability to play...or lack of it

and the comment on the amp played through etc

nothing sounds like a recording studio except a recording studio...

It really is a little bit of both, I was plugged into a mesa head in the gallery and trying out various basses. The Sei although lovely to play sounded a bit polite, the status sound great but lacked... grunt I suppose (I wasnt playing with the amp at all).

At this point I thought that the amp was a bit of a letdown.

Then I plugged In the 5 string dingwall jazz. Omg what a sound....

Lesson learned, make sure YOUR bass sounds good through the amp your considering!

If I'm amp shopping I use a bass like one of mine - most likely a Precision.

If I'm bass shopping I try and use an amp like mine or one I'm familiar with.

Not rocket science. If you get serious about a bit of gear - expensive or not - a decent shop will let you bring your own bass/amp to try it with.

Quite frankly if I were trying a 2k bass in a shop and they'd only let me use a cheap little practise combo I'd be out of the door having imparted that timeless phrase that sounds like 'go pluck yourself'.

Having said that - it would be an idea for folk reporting on gear shop try outs to say a little about what else they were using and what sounds they expected of it. It's all so subjective anyway - someone earlier said his shop always let him use something good like a Mark Bass - last thing I'd ever use!!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='590440' date='Sep 5 2009, 10:16 AM']It can be risky testing an expensive bass through an expensive amp because you end up buying the bass and the amp. :lol:[/quote]
LOL :lol:

Thanks chaps, some good replies. :rolleyes:

I've been using Electro for years, on and off, and they are good about letting you take your time, and try as much stuff as you want. I must have been in there 2 hours at least, trying amps out.

I just thought it would be handy to know what other gear everyone had tried at the same time, to let people make a better opinion. After all, if you try an EB2, slap the hell out of it through a little combo, you're going to be very disappointed at the result! :)

so many times iv wanted to try basses in shops, and the little bass guy comes over and plugs me into an ashdown..... Thing is, im too nice to tell him i might as well play through a shoe :rolleyes: :)

Edited by Kev

I'm surprised anyone one here with any experience would go into a shop and be put off playing a bass, because it did not produce the tone they expected plugged in to an amp in the shop.

Go into the shop, inspect if for defects, quality, workmanship and feel by all means - but never tone.....!

Is the shop likely to have the same set up as you have....? Strings, set-up, intonation, Amp, pedals, leads?

I very much doubt it, these are all very personal to each and every one of us.

To expect anything from the bass in the shop is a big ask.

Knowing what I know now, go and look at it. decide if its tactilely correct, buy a ste of your normal strings then take it home and set i up with new strings and then play it plugged in. You should be able to tell in the shop what it sounds like accoustically or through a Tascam or similar (preferably your own one).

There is always likely to be slight variances between to rigs using the same components so imagine the variables involved with all of the elements I mentined above.....

When I try instruments I pretty much decide in the first 30 seconds whether I will like it or not. Small quirks may need "getting used to" but if something big doesn't feel right the moment you pick it up, it probably never will! IMHO tone is a entirely different matter though, as there are far more other aspects that will affect it.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='590821' date='Sep 5 2009, 05:30 PM']I refer you to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58401"]Ashdown. Crap?[/url] thread where this issue has already been dealt with at length.[/quote]

Why did you refer me to that thread? I am not saying they break, i am just saying i dislike Ashdown amps :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='590870' date='Sep 5 2009, 06:30 PM']That's in the thread too.[/quote]
Right..but this is this thread :) I am saying a might dislike a shop bass because i have been forced to play it through an Ashdown, very much relevant to this thread, not the other.

[quote name='Kev' post='590894' date='Sep 5 2009, 06:51 PM']Right..but this is this thread :) I am saying a might dislike a shop bass because i have been forced to play it through an Ashdown, very much relevant to this thread, not the other.[/quote]
OK, I didn't realise it was a problem. My lightheartedness often offends. I'll delete it.

OOPS! Hope I haven't started something there :lol:

To me, I would be interested if you tried the bass through an Ashdown. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against their gear, it's just not my cuppa. Sounded too compressed, and lacked any balls to my ears. I have an all valve Ampeg SVT Classic, which I dare say there are a few out there thinking "oh, one of those horrible vintage sounding things", but it's the sound I like :lol:

If someone posted, for example "I tried bass "X" through an SVT, and the tone was huge" that would tempt me to try out the same bass......(and then get a GAS attack :lol: )

I too agree about the lazy shop comment......I recently ordered a Tbird brand new, and when I collected it, it had a neck like Robin Hood's bow, and the intonation wasn't that clever either. All sorted now though :) I have tried several new basses, and the set up on them has been shocking, as if they have just been taken out the box, and hung on the wall. Not very clever if you are trying to sell the thing...... :rolleyes:

[quote name='retroman' post='591350' date='Sep 6 2009, 12:56 PM']OOPS! Hope I haven't started something there :lol:

[i][b]To me, I would be interested if you tried the bass through an Ashdown. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against their gear, it's just not my cuppa.[/b][/i] Sounded too compressed, and lacked any balls to my ears. I have an all valve Ampeg SVT Classic, which I dare say there are a few out there thinking "oh, one of those horrible vintage sounding things", but it's the sound I like :lol:

If someone posted, for example "I tried bass "X" through an SVT, and the tone was huge" that would tempt me to try out the same bass......(and then get a GAS attack :lol: )

I too agree about the lazy shop comment......I recently ordered a Tbird brand new, and when I collected it, it had a neck like Robin Hood's bow, and the intonation wasn't that clever either. All sorted now though :) I have tried several new basses, and the set up on them has been shocking, as if they have just been taken out the box, and hung on the wall. Not very clever if you are trying to sell the thing...... :rolleyes:[/quote]
Do you mean 'would [i]not[/i] be interested'?