Why become a member? ×

Is there something wrong with me?

EdwardHimself

Sorry to hear that Edward.

Maybe it's a confidence thing or a perceived lack of confidence. Make it clear that you really want that audition and let them know that you are confident that you can do it and you are just what they need.

Once you get an audition, get prepared, turn up on time and don't over play.

Stick with it mate, you will get there.

All the best, Gary

[quote name='Eight' post='587513' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:28 PM']Hell of a lot of time wasters up here in the North East mate.[/quote]

Auditionees or bands? Because yeah if it's the former i see what you mean, there was a bloke who replied to another band's blog who were looking for a drummer (in hull) and he's just like "oh yeah i'm 18 i play drums but i live in doncaster i don't have a car though so would you guys mind coming down here to jam?" :)

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='587515' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:29 PM']Form your own band! That's how I got round it... :)[/quote]

Yeah i've got a band with my mates it's just that we can't get round to doing anything fun like gigs or out until we find a singer but no-one seems interested. Also i'm doing the drums, i wouldn't mind having a go on bass again seeing as i've just spent an inordinate amount of money on bass parts for my new bass.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='587519' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:30 PM']Auditionees or bands?[/quote]
Both really.

[quote]Because yeah if it's the former i see what you mean, there was a bloke who replied to another band's blog who were looking for a drummer (in hull) and he's just like "oh yeah i'm 18 i play drums but i live in doncaster i don't have a car though so would you guys mind coming down here to jam?" :)[/quote]
Hahahahahahahaha. That sounds about right.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='587522' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:32 PM']Yeah i've got a band with my mates it's just that we can't get round to doing anything fun like gigs or out until we find a singer but no-one seems interested. Also i'm doing the drums, i wouldn't mind having a go on bass again seeing as i've just spent an inordinate amount of money on bass parts for my new bass.[/quote]

I recently had a keyboard/trumpet player from Leeds wanting to join my band. Initially I suggested that they come down for a rehearsal and got "I don't have a car, can you come and get me?", then a couple of days before we were supposed to meet I got "I don't have a trumpet, or an amp for my keyboard".

:)

Maybe you're a git? :)

Seriously, tho. Is there something about your approach that undermines your credibility as a potential band member? Do you have any demos of your stuff that you can play people to get past any prejudices? Are you under-selling yourself or over-selling (streching credibility, coming over as arrogant etc)? Hell, you may be too short for some people, too ugly, too whatever (I lost out at an audition once because I was too tall! Absolutely true!! Apparently the bandleader was 5' 2'' and didn't want attention drawn to that fact by surrounding himself with tall blokes). It may be worth thinking about how you approach people for an audition and considering whether there is something that you can change.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='587506' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:21 PM']hi guys i've asked to be in so many bands over the years and i wouldn't have minded not getting in if they'd at least heard me but not one of them has even asked me to go down for an audition. The last time (and only time) i even went to an audition was in 2006. So, is there something wrong with me?[/quote]

From what your saying it sounds like people are casually asking you to be in a band with them but then not following through either it some signal your giving out which puts them off or more likely your not being proactive enough. If it happens again try to make a definate date for a jam and see how that goes. But please dont make the mistake that I made and join the first band that will have you take some perspective and see if its right for you because if its not it can be really demotivating

[quote name='Eight' post='587513' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:28 PM']Hell of a lot of time wasters up here in the North East mate.[/quote]

unfortuntately their not limited to the North East

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='587598' date='Sep 2 2009, 03:55 PM']From what your saying it sounds like people are casually asking you to be in a band with them but then not following through either it some signal your giving out which puts them off or more likely your not being proactive enough. If it happens again try to make a definate date for a jam and see how that goes. But please dont make the mistake that I made and join the first band that will have you take some perspective and see if its right for you because if its not it can be really demotivating[/quote]

Yeah maybe i should. I reckon i should probably put a couple more ads up in music shops for our band for a start, perhaps we'll get more interest being a nearly complete band?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='587590' date='Sep 2 2009, 03:43 PM']Maybe you're a git? :)

Seriously, tho. Is there something about your approach that undermines your credibility as a potential band member? Do you have any demos of your stuff that you can play people to get past any prejudices? Are you under-selling yourself or over-selling (streching credibility, coming over as arrogant etc)? Hell, you may be too short for some people, too ugly, too whatever (I lost out at an audition once because I was too tall! Absolutely true!! Apparently the bandleader was 5' 2'' and didn't want attention drawn to that fact by surrounding himself with tall blokes). It may be worth thinking about how you approach people for an audition and considering whether there is something that you can change.[/quote]

I have loads of recordings of myself and i've offered to send it to them but usually they don't give me an email or anything. As for being too short, well hell i'm 5' 9" so i don't really think anybody could possibly say i was too short or too tall lol. I don't like to think i'm under or overselling myself, i just give them the facts. I wouldn't say i was arrogant, maybe sometimes but i try not to be when i'm on the internet, just try to appear balanced between being friendly and professional. I always like to analyse things in my mind, i'll try having a look next time.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='587696' date='Sep 2 2009, 05:01 PM']I have a suggestion: paste in an example of the kind of responses that you send to these bands. Then we can tell you if you're doing anything wrong.

S.P.[/quote]

I would have done but the band i just got rejected from deleted their blog so next time i'll try posting something.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='587702' date='Sep 2 2009, 05:07 PM']I would have done but the band i just got rejected from deleted their blog so next time i'll try posting something.[/quote]

1. Sure you haven't got something sat around in your sent mail folder?

2. If they deleted their blog, then that might suggest a whole heap of reasons why they are no longer looking for a bass player right now. Don't take that one personally.

S.P.

[quote name='HMX' post='587817' date='Sep 2 2009, 06:58 PM']It seems to me that the problem doesn't lie on your side, but theirs. I don't know what this is, but too many auditionees maybe, they've already found the right guy? I don't know but I wouldn't be harsh on yourself.[/quote]

I think that's probably it. Which i find amazing because we can't find anyone!

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='588062' date='Sep 2 2009, 10:05 PM']slap? Me? Certainly not! :)

No i don't think i'm applying to the wrong type of bands, they're my sort of music.[/quote]

there is a time and a place for slap, fortunately not very many of them, theres nothing worse than someone banging away with the ame old octaves and hammer ons etc...